TWO men have been arrested by detectives investigating the sudden death of a bar manager who had a severe allergic reaction to nuts.

Thirty-eight-year old Paul Wilson died after he was found unresponsive in the living quarters of the Oak Tree Inn, in Helperby between Boroughbridge and Easingwold, on Thursday, January 30.

Police have now confirmed that two men - a 51 year old and 38 year old - were arrested in connection with his death on April 8, and have since been released on bail while enquiries continue.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Officers are working with Trading Standards to establish the circumstances surrounding Mr Wilson’s death.”

The death of bar manager Mr Wilson, who had a young son, was linked to anaphylactic shock from peanuts found in a meal.

He had enjoyed an evening out with a friend before returning home with a takeaway meal that he had begun to eat.

He was found unresponsive at his home late at night on January 30, and although the alarm was raised paramedics could not revive him.

Speaking after his death a representative of pub company Provenance Inns, owners of the Oak Tree Inn where Mr Wilson worked, said: “We are all distraught over loss of Paul, who was a fun and kind-hearted chap – the perfect guy to be working in a pub.

“He fitted in very quickly and had a great many friends. Paul will be much missed by everyone.”

There are only about ten recognised deaths from food allergy in the UK every year.
Mr Wilson’s death came ahead of the Government introducing new food information regulations later this year, which stipulate eating establishments must provide detailed information about any allergens contained in their food.

Under current legislation, eating establishments are legally obliged to provide information about allergens only if they are asked to by a customer.

A North Yorkshire County Council spokeswoman said the authority was set to launch an allergens awareness raising campaign ahead of the new legislation coming into force on December 13.

Following Mr Wilson’s death, his parents Margaret and Keith asked for donations in memory of their son to be given to Allergy UK, to support the research and allergy nursing of sufferers awaiting treatment.

Almost £500 has since been donated online, at