A married police constable has been warned he faces jail after he sexually assaulted women while on duty in North Yorkshire.

Matthew Daniel Fisher, 37, was found guilty of abusing two women while working with North Yorkshire Police.

He also admitted two charges of misconduct in a public office after having sexual contact in a police van outside Selby bus station and having sexual contact with a woman who was on a night out.

During Fisher’s trial at Hull Crown Court, jurors heard the twice-married officer would meet women while patrolling the Selby area and flirt with them, often offering his sexual services in their own homes.

Sometimes it was consensual, said Simon Waley, prosecuting, told the court, while other acts were not.

One victim was dependent on heroin and PC Fisher had gone to a flat where she had been drinking to ask her to turn down music, the jury heard.

He took her home in his police van and grabbed her hand, placing it on his groin, but she swore and pulled away. Fisher asked her to remain silent as he was engaged, Mr Waley said.

Another victim met him after police received reports of a minor incident. Jurors heard how, after going round to her home, Fisher made sexual comments and looked down her top. On another occasion he grabbed her hand, placing it on his groin.

Fisher was found guilty of three counts of sexual assault against the two women and one misconduct charge relating to using a police computer to look up details of women.

He was found not guilty of two further counts – the attempted rape and sexual assault of a woman after she reported being assaulted by her partner.

Judge Michael Mettyear ordered Fisher to be held in custody until sentencing on May 3.

He said: “For matters which you have been found guilty and matters you’ve pleaded guilty to are so serious only custody can be justified.”

He told Fisher to sign the sex offenders’ register and said even though he did not consider him a danger to children, he will be banned from working with them.

After the verdict, North Yorkshire Police’s temporary chief constable said Fisher “has brought disgrace on the office of constable” by abusing his authority for his own gratification.

He said: “This behaviour is completely unacceptable.”

He said he was satisfied this was an isolated case.

“Daniel Fisher will be brought before a disciplinary hearing at the earliest opportunity at which sanctions include dismissal without notice.”

Fisher has offered his resignation and been suspended throughout the investigation and court proceedings.

Detective Superintendent Heather Pearson, senior investigating officer, said: “He [Fisher] has abused his authority and has offended against the very people he had a sworn duty to protect. This is unforgivable.”

She commended the victims and witnesses for their “bravery and faith in the police service, particularly due to the circumstances in this case”.

“Not only have they suffered the traumatic experiences that Fisher put them through, he has made them re-live their ordeals during the trial.”