I AGREE with D M Deamer (Letters, May 7) about the ash deposits from wood burning fires.

Whereas, in earlier years, the smell from an odd wood burner was quite pleasant, it has been a different story in our locality this winter where it would seem to be the fashion to install a wood burner.

On cold days when everyone has their wood fires blazing cosily away, the toxic fumes out of doors are so bad that it seriously affects those of us who have chesty problems, ie tightening of the chest and coughing.

It is time that York follows London and requests people not to stoke up these fires when the air is bad.

Mary Morton,

Hob Moor Drive,

Holgate, York