Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Chris Doig eyes York City contract talks
SCOTTISH defender Chris Doig is hoping to be offered a new deal at York City.
Doig, 31, is out of contract at Bootham Crescent having joined the Minstermen in February on a short-term basis.
But the former Nottingham Forest centre-back was an integral part of the club’s successful promotion push and played the full 90 minutes of Sunday’s 2-1 Blue Square Bet Premier play-off final win against Luton.
An injured David McGurk is the only centre-back currently on City’s books for 2012/13, with the likes of captain Chris Smith, Dan Parslow, Jamal Fyfield and Doig expected to enter talks regarding their futures with manager Gary Mills next week.
On his situation, Doig said: “Nobody has spoken to me yet so I will have to wait and see what gets said. I’ve really enjoyed my time at York and it’s a fantastic club with a chairman who does things right, a very good gaffer and a good bunch of lads.
“I am hoping they might speak to me and would certainly be open to them speaking to me but the ball is in the club’s court. I can only look at what offers are made and take it from there.”
Doig admitted the last three months with City have provided a wonderful way to close the curtain on an otherwise “torturous” campaign.
Having left Australian side Central Coast Mariners last year, he played in Indonesia for a spell which set him back when he returned to these shores hoping to find a club after the season had already started.
A brief non-contract stay at Aldershot in January was followed by a trial with former club Northampton and the offer of a one-month deal before Mills stepped in to resurrect his career.
Doig added: “It had been a torturous season for me to be honest and I spent the first five months just training and trialling at different clubs trying to get sorted out. I was really just looking to play some games and coming to York allowed me to do that, which was great, but to then end the season how we did was a fantastic finish to a difficult year for me.”
The former Scotland under-21 international did, however, confess he placed his chances of playing at Wembley for a first-ever time at risk when he struggled through the tail-end of the season with a groin injury.
Doig was not fit enough to play any part in the Minstermen’s 2-0 FA Trophy final victory over Newport but returned to the national stadium eight days later to taste promotion for the second time in his career, having been a member of Northampton’s League Two runners-up team of 2006.
He said: “I knew when I played at Mansfield in the play-off semi-finals that I was jeopardising my chances of playing at Wembley.
“If I’m being honest, I knew I wasn’t fit for that game but I got asked to play and I did.
“I knew I wouldn’t finish the game, I knew I would miss the Trophy final and I knew I would face a race to be fit for the play-off final, but I got to play in one out of the two and we won both finals, which was the most important thing. I’m relieved and proud that I went through that experience and I loved every minute of the Luton match.
“I felt relaxed during the game. You never know how you will respond in those situations. They are tense affairs and everyone knew how much it meant to the club and city.
“We had a bad start but to recover the way we did was full credit to the lads. I’ve only played a minor, minor part in what has happened at the club this season. I’ve been here the last few months while most of the others have put in a lot of hard graft here since July 1 and fully deserved the great reception from the fans on Monday.”
A record of eight clean sheets and eight goals conceded in his 15 games contradicts the modest role Doig claims to have played.
Doig feels the Minstermen have the right man at the helm in Mills to continue taking the club forward. He said: “The gaffer’s positivity is really infectious. There is never any doubt in his mind about what his players can achieve.”
• City will issue ten-game mini season tickets again for the 2012/13 campaign. They will be available for December 3 and, while prices will be issued closer to that date, the cost will be frozen for those that took up the same offer last season.
Comments are closed on this article.