JON Parkin moved on to 199 career goals with a brace of penalties as York City got back to winning ways with a 4-2 triumph at Spennymoor.

The Minstemen became the first visiting side to win at the Brewery Field since February with Louis Almond and Kaine Felix also grabbing their first goals for the club.

Gary Mills' team led 3-0 at the break, having literally received a helping hand from home defender Joseph Tait, who gave away the two spot kicks.

The second half turned into a nervy affair, though, for the visitors with Tait converting a penalty of his own.

Sub Mark Anderson made it 3-2 on 86 minutes and then missed a one-on-one opportunity, before Felix settled the outcome in injury time after coming on for Almond.

City switched to 3-4-3 for the north-east clash after back-to-back defeats but, before having time to get to grips with the system, an excellent crossfield pass by right-back Kallum Griffiths saw David Foley speed past Dan Parslow and cross for Jake Orrell, who volleyed narrowly wide from eight yards.

Parkin, meanwhile, headed well wide from a Sean Newton centre and, after Tait had also missed the target having risen to meet ex-City midfielder Matty Dixon's corner, Newton's half-volley following Josh Law's right-wing raid was caught by home keeper Daniel Lowson.

After a confident Glen Taylor curled just over from 25 yards, away debutant Theo Wharton then sliced well off target from a similar distance and Parkin did not hit the ball cleanly enough from the edge of the box to beat Lowson after more good work by Law.

The visitors forged ahead, though, after a spectacular 40-yard Griffiths half-volley had flashed just wide of Jon Worsnop's goal, as Tait through up an arm after Parslow chipped a ball into the box to concede the first spot kick.

Veteran Parkin went on to sidefoot to Lowson's left, as the Moors keeper dived in the opposite direction, giving the Minstermen a 29th-minute lead.

Moments later, Alex Whittle saw a 25-yard drive gathered by Lowson but it was 2-0 after Griffiths and Tait had both aimed free kicks too high for the hosts.

A right-wing dead-ball delivery by Law saw Tait again make contact with his arm in the Spennymoor box.

He was shown a yellow card on this occasion, with Parkin blasting his second 12-yard conversion down the middle of the goal and beating Lowson's trailing leg with power on 38 minutes.

Parkin turned provider two minutes later to help on a long ball out of defence after play was waved on despite Newton appearing to have hacked down Dixon just outside the City box.

The beneficiary was fit-again forward Almond, who burst through the right channel before shooting past Lowson from ten yards.

After the break, Almond went close to a second when he spun off his marker and sent a swerving 25-yard shot just over.

Dixon's diagonal drive, meanwhile, was well tipped over by Worsnop, before referee Mr Matthews, perhaps to appease angry home fans, dubiously penalised Parslow for handball after James Curtis flicked on a low ball into the box.

Centre-back Tait then made some amends by blasting in to Worsnop's right.

For the Minstermen, Amari Morgan-Smith called Lowson into a flying save on 69 minutes from 15 yards.

But Worsnop prevented the deficit from being reduced on 75 minutes with an excellent far-post reflex parry after Taylor had met Robert Ramshaw's right-wing cross.

Anderson also curled against Worsnop's left-hand upright after Jassem Sukar had sold himself trying to compensate for a weak clearance.

But Anderson did make it 3-2 on 86 minutes when Almond allowed Christopher Chantler to send in a low ball through the left channel and the lively replacement shot across goal into Worsnop's bottom-left corner.

In a thrilling finale, Anderson then prodded just wide to level, before Felix made the points safe, finding an unguarded net moments later in the second minute of stoppage time with a low 40-yard shot after Lowson's mis-hit clearance.

Worsnop was still required to make a fine save low to his left, though, to push away Foley's stinging drive.


Jon Worsnop 8

Dan Parslow 7

Hamza Bencherif 7

Jassem Sukar 7

Josh Law 7

Theo Wharton 7

Sean Newton 7

Alex Whittle 7

Louis Almond 7

Jon Parkin 8

Amari Morgan-Smith 7

Substitutes: Kaine Felix (for Morgan-Smith, 82), Connor Smith (for Almond, 86).

Subs not used: Michael Rankine,Sam Muggleton, Aaron Haswell.

City star man: Parkin - scroed first two and set up third


Daniel Lowson, Kallum Griffiths, Joseph Tait, James Curtis, Christopher Chantler, Matthew Dixon, Robert Ramshaw, Andrew Johnson (Mark Anderson, 60), Jake Orrell (Bradley Fewster, 72), Glen Taylor, David Foley.

Subs not used: Chris Mason, Jordan Porter, Jamie Chandler.

Referee: J Matthews rating: 5/10

Booked: Wharton 35, Tait 40

Sent off: None

Attendance: 1,306

Shots on target: Spennymoor 7, City 9

Shots off target: Spennymoor 7, City 3

Corners: Spennymoor 11, City 1

Fouls conceded: Spennymoor 6, City 10

Offside: Spennymoor 1, City 6