Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
York pockets UK Snooker deal until 2013
11:52am Thursday 3rd May 2012 in Snooker
TOP-CLASS snooker is staying in York after the Barbican was confirmed as the venue for the UK Championship in 2012 and 2013.
World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn hailed the “resounding success” of the 2011 tournament as the major reason for the decision to keep the £625,000 event in the Minster city.
There were record ticket sales when the sport’s second biggest ranking event returned to the Barbican last December after a five-year absence.
Hearn said: “Our decision to take the UK Championship back to York last season was inspired.
“There is a huge amount of enthusiasm for snooker in York and the surrounding area and the top players love the Barbican. We’re delighted to sign this deal for the next two years and looking forward to December.”
James Allen of SMG Europe, who manage and operate the venue, said: “We’re delighted the UK Championship is returning to the York Barbican following last December’s successful homecoming.
“After an absence of five years from the city, the support shown by the people of York has been nothing short of exceptional, as witnessed by last year’s recording breaking ticket sales.
“We are now building on the success of our partnership with World Snooker to position the York UK Championship as one of the highlights on the national sporting calendar for 2012 and beyond.”
Reigning champion Judd Trump, who beat Mark Allen 10-8 in last year’s final, said: “The atmosphere there last year was amazing and it helped inspire me to win the title.”
The tournament will run from December 1 to 9 and tickets are available by phoning 0844 854 2757 or visiting the website www.worldsnooker.com/tickets