Sherwood: I would have taken job

Tim Sherwood has been out of work since May

Tim Sherwood has been out of work since May

First published in National Sport © by

Tim Sherwood has revealed he would have taken the Crystal Palace job had he been offered it earlier this week - but felt it was always destined to go to Malky Mackay.

Sherwood was one of the names closely linked with the vacant managerial position at Palace as the Barclays Premier League club seek to replace Tony Pulis, who walked out on the eve of the new season.

Even though he felt Mackay was favourite for the role, Sherwood met with Palace co-chairman Steve Parish last weekend and the former Tottenham boss admits he would have accepted the role had the chance arisen.

Writing in his column in The Independent, Sherwood said: "I have to say, I took some persuading in the first place to go to see Steve last Sunday. My feeling at the time was that the race was already run and that the job was going to Malky Mackay. But in the end I thought it would be a worthwhile experience.

"After seeing Steve and I asked people who knew Palace well about the club. Their immediate response was that they could not put me off the job. The feeling was that Palace was a good club and that the best thing about it was the current group of players, as well as the fans.

"If I had been offered the job early in the process, soon after my interview, I would have taken it. Naturally, I am confident in my ability to do it."

However, Sherwood, who left Spurs in May after six months in charge, admitted the longer the process went on and the more names became linked to the job, he decided it was not for him.

The 45-year-old added: "I know a lot of managers were interested. But at some point, as a manager, you want to know the interviews have stopped and you're the club's first choice.

"That was why, on Thursday night, my agent sent a message to Steve to say that I was no longer interested in being in contention for the job."

As well as Sherwood, the likes of Martin Jol, Neil Lennon and Glenn Hoddle have been linked with the Selhurst Park post, along with Mackay.

Mackay had been firm favourite to be appointed this week prior to allegations of racism and homophobia lodged with the FA by Cardiff, which also forced the resignation of Palace's sporting director Iain Moody.

Sherwood said: "There are some serious allegations made against Malky and he will have to deal with those. When I went to see Steve Parish last Sunday, Malky was still very much the lead candidate. I liked Steve and I thought that his passion for the club was impressive.

"Iain Moody was one of the people in the room during the interview. That did nothing to change my mind that Mackay was the favourite."

Regarding his future, Sherwood added: "I am back in England this weekend watching games and training sessions and continuing my education. I have lots of invitations to do that at other clubs in England and around the world, and I intend to take them up. I will be ready when my time comes to return the game."

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree