A LATE George Trifan header sent F1 Racing into the North Riding County FA County Cup quarter-finals following a pulsating cup tie - and a second successive shock victory over Wigginton Grasshoppers.

F1 had beaten the table-toppers 4-1 in the York Minster Engineering League premier division last week and they followed up with a knockout 3-2 cup victory this time - Trifan stooping to head home a great Chris Dempsey cross as the tie entered stoppage time.

Wigginton had taken an early lead through Matthew Tiplady after a defensive slip and they looked assured during the early phases as F1 struggled to rouse themselves.

But F1 grew into the game, and, following a period of pressure, Dale Lumley prodded home an equaliser from close range.

In a hard-fought tie, chances were at a premium, but it needed blocks and tackles aplenty to keep the scores level amid an almighty scramble in the F1 box.

F1 then nosed ahead when Lumley arrived at the back post to head in his second goal of the match.

Wigginton pressed for the equaliser, but that left space for F1 who always looked dangerous on the break.

The leveller came with 15 minutes to go when a clearance was intercepted and swept home by Pat Evans.

There was little to choose between the sides as the clock ticked down, but, with extra time or penalties looming, Trifan struck.

Cup holders Old Malton St Mary's kept their nerve away at Redcar Town to progress on penalties following a 1-1 draw.

York RI led Nunthorpe Athletic but could not sustain the pressure and eventually went down 2-1.

Malton & Norton were unlucky not to progress in the East Riding County FA Senior Cup, falling to a 4-3 defeat after extra time at Hedon Rangers.

Dunnington gained a 4-2 success over North Ferriby United to progress to the next round.

The marksmen were Robert Chipps (2), Tom Anderson and Tom Richards, while Michael Noble was the man of the match.

In the East Riding Junior Country Cup, Stamford Bridge and Fulford progressed with a 6-2 win at Holme Rovers and 2-1 victory at South Cave United Reserves, respectively.

Penalties were needed in two other ties involving York Minster League Clubs.

Bubwith White Swan won 3-1 on spot kicks after a 5-5 draw with Hessle Rangers Juniors, but Barmby Moor lost 5-4 after their home tie with Pelican Rangers had finished 1-1.

Meanwhile, in the league's premier division, Church Fenton moved to within four points of the summit after a 4-0 defeat of Osbaldwick.

Lewis Beecher, Adam Field (2) and Neil Dixon found the net.

Dringhouses climbed up to sixth spot following a 3-1 triumph at Tadcaster Magnets.

Ten goals were seen at Hemingbrough United, with the hosts edging the game against Sporting Knavesmire 6-4.

Andre Simpson (2), Tom Owens and Danny Owers were on target for the visitors but they were overpowered by strikes from Iain Blackburn, Nathan Parker (2), Josh Gill (2) and Liam Gautry.