Martin Foyle calls a halt to York City's on-field ‘squabbling’

York Press: York City substitute Michael Rankine places the ball on the spot as regular penalty-taker Richard Brodie has a heated discussion with Michael Gash during the 2-1 Blue Square Bet Premier defeat to Kidderminster Harriers at Bootham Crescent on Saturday York City substitute Michael Rankine places the ball on the spot as regular penalty-taker Richard Brodie has a heated discussion with Michael Gash during the 2-1 Blue Square Bet Premier defeat to Kidderminster Harriers at Bootham Crescent on Saturday

YORK City manager Martin Foyle has warned his players to cut out their on-pitch squabbling after a 2-1 opening day defeat at home to Kidderminster Harriers.

Substitute Michael Rankine and fellow striker Richard Brodie attempted to wrestle the ball off each other when City were awarded an 83rd-minute penalty in Saturday’s Bootham Crescent clash.

Rankine, who had been fouled for the spot kick, eventually won the argument and levelled the scores.

But, at the final whistle, the 6ft 3in striker was also involved in a spot of angry posturing and finger pointing with debutant Duane Courtney after the former Kidderminster right-back conceded another late penalty, which was converted by Tom Shaw at the other end.

City players had to separate the petulant pair and, although Foyle initially dismissed the incident as “handbags”, he made it clear that he would not accept such behaviour in the future.

It is not the first time Rankine has flouted team orders, however, having shoved Brodie to one side last season at Eastbourne before also successfully converted from 12 yards.

About the unprofessional scenes, Foyle said: “Brodes is on penalties but Ranks came on full of confidence and I don’t mind that. It looks a bit petty though when they are arguing with each other and I had a pop about that “At the end of the game, it was handbags really. Sometimes players play with a bit of passion and I wish they’d shown more from the start of the game and during the first 45 minutes.

“That type of thing makes me look bad though and I won’t condone it. They won’t be doing it again.

“We will keep everything in camp and it’s been sorted out in the changing room so there’s not a problem.”

City ’keeper Michael Ingham was beaten direct from a Callum Gittings corner for Kidderminster’s first goal and Foyle was unhappy with his side’s defending in general.

He is hoping, however, that the defeat will act as a “wake-up call” ahead of tomorrow night’s trip to Grimsby and Saturday’s long trek to Bath.

City boss Foyle added: “Michael got under the ball from the corner and it was a disappointing goal but defensively we were poor and I never said that much last season.

“Their front two caused us problems. We could not get tight or stick with them when they spun off and looked for one-twos and they ran us ragged for the first 25 minutes.

“We huffed and puffed and looked a bit off the pace and we can’t afford to be opened up like that on so many occasions. I’m a bit disappointed but sometimes you need a wake-up call.

“We’re on a learning curve and this has brought a few people down to earth. I won’t be too downbeat though. I can’t afford to be as we have two hard games on our travels now.”

Foyle also had no complaints about referee Jake Collin’s decision to award the 89th-minute penalty against Courtney for pushing over Chris McPhee, saying: “It wasn’t a jump or a challenge. He just shunted him off the ball so it was a penalty.

“It usually happens one way or the other against your old club. You’re either involved in a goal for your own team or drop a clanger at the other end.”

Despite missing a hat-trick of chances, Foyle was in no mood either to make last season’s 37-goal leading marksman Brodie a scapegoat for defeat while praising his striking partner Michael Gash’s display too, saying: “We created some good chances but I won’t be making Brodes my excuse.

“I felt slightly sorry for Michael Gash as well because he held the ball up well, but people were not feeding off him.”

All talk of a Wembley play-off final hangover was just as firmly dismissed.

“That’s no excuse,” Foyle insisted. “It was three months ago and is well and truly out of my mind.”

Levi Mackin, meanwhile, could face a lengthy lay-off after hobbling out of the action following a first-half midfield clash. The City chief said: “It looks a bad one and he might need a scan. We lacked a bit of fluency when he went off because he’s our anchor man.”

Summer signing Greg Young remains doubtful for tomorrow night’s trip to Blundell Park, having failed to make Saturday’s 16-strong squad as he still lacks fitness after missing most of pre-season with a badly-bruised foot. “Greg has been doing more running but is still playing catch up,” Foyle added.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:29pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Sir Alex says...

10 out of the 11 were from last year's squad so I can't see why they would require a learning curve to get into grove.
When i saw the teamsheet I was preparing myself for one nil to City but with Ingham's howler and a jittery defence we seemed to have no plan B to create loads of chances.
McDermott should play in home games and be at least on bench away. He is a class act and has something different.
10 out of the 11 were from last year's squad so I can't see why they would require a learning curve to get into grove. When i saw the teamsheet I was preparing myself for one nil to City but with Ingham's howler and a jittery defence we seemed to have no plan B to create loads of chances. McDermott should play in home games and be at least on bench away. He is a class act and has something different. Sir Alex
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Mon 16 Aug 10

OLD - HEAD says...

This is certainly not the first time that we have seen York City players squabbling among themselves as to who takes the penalty kick. The Manager has to be the person who designates who does what, and NOBODY should go against his instructions. Martin Foyle is in some way sitting on the fence by his response to Saturdays fiasco. Credit to Rankine for scoring, but we could have had a different situation if he had missed. A successful team must also be a disciplined unit on the pitch. So come on City! , let this be the last time we witness those disgraceful scenes. I also think (like "Sir Alex") that we certainly need to have a more adventurous approach to team selection, especially at home.
This is certainly not the first time that we have seen York City players squabbling among themselves as to who takes the penalty kick. The Manager has to be the person who designates who does what, and NOBODY should go against his instructions. Martin Foyle is in some way sitting on the fence by his response to Saturdays fiasco. Credit to Rankine for scoring, but we could have had a different situation if he had missed. A successful team must also be a disciplined unit on the pitch. So come on City! , let this be the last time we witness those disgraceful scenes. I also think (like "Sir Alex") that we certainly need to have a more adventurous approach to team selection, especially at home. OLD - HEAD
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Rimpole says...

LMAO at Colin Pratt’s rant on another thread, Sir Alex is right tho’ the majority of the starting line up played together last season so shouldn’t need time to gel.

We have played in this league long enough now to be able to second guess how our opponents are going to come at us. IMO we were subject to the same, Kidderminster guessed we would be defensive and they were spot on.

Common sense surely dictates that we batter ‘em at home, not hold back and invite them on to us. Too often seen last season and the one before…

Thought Meredith looked tired and Parslow is punching above his weight. I think it’s time for him to move on. Am speculating Mez chose not to range too far up the pitch because Sangarre was chasing everything with little to show for his efforts.

Must have been tough for the sponsors to pick a MOTM!

Don’t think the ref helped at all and must have been sweating his t!ts off with the Kiddy shirt he was wearing under his official garb.

Grimsby on Tuesday should be better as many posters on this forum suggest we play better against better opposition…no doubt we’ll see.

I also think Purcell for Mackin and McDermott in before Till.
LMAO at Colin Pratt’s rant on another thread, Sir Alex is right tho’ the majority of the starting line up played together last season so shouldn’t need time to gel. We have played in this league long enough now to be able to second guess how our opponents are going to come at us. IMO we were subject to the same, Kidderminster guessed we would be defensive and they were spot on. Common sense surely dictates that we batter ‘em at home, not hold back and invite them on to us. Too often seen last season and the one before… Thought Meredith looked tired and Parslow is punching above his weight. I think it’s time for him to move on. Am speculating Mez chose not to range too far up the pitch because Sangarre was chasing everything with little to show for his efforts. Must have been tough for the sponsors to pick a MOTM! Don’t think the ref helped at all and must have been sweating his t!ts off with the Kiddy shirt he was wearing under his official garb. Grimsby on Tuesday should be better as many posters on this forum suggest we play better against better opposition…no doubt we’ll see. I also think Purcell for Mackin and McDermott in before Till. Rimpole
  • Score: 0

1:15pm Mon 16 Aug 10

antonius maximus says...

All this squabbling was supposed to be between Jason Sunbed and Guilford over the new stadium. Not city's own players. Take it they also want the club to fold?
All this squabbling was supposed to be between Jason Sunbed and Guilford over the new stadium. Not city's own players. Take it they also want the club to fold? antonius maximus
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Head of Bomber Command says...

OLD - HEAD wrote:
This is certainly not the first time that we have seen York City players squabbling among themselves as to who takes the penalty kick. The Manager has to be the person who designates who does what, and NOBODY should go against his instructions. Martin Foyle is in some way sitting on the fence by his response to Saturdays fiasco. Credit to Rankine for scoring, but we could have had a different situation if he had missed. A successful team must also be a disciplined unit on the pitch. So come on City! , let this be the last time we witness those disgraceful scenes. I also think (like "Sir Alex") that we certainly need to have a more adventurous approach to team selection, especially at home.
Good call OLD-HEAD.
[quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: This is certainly not the first time that we have seen York City players squabbling among themselves as to who takes the penalty kick. The Manager has to be the person who designates who does what, and NOBODY should go against his instructions. Martin Foyle is in some way sitting on the fence by his response to Saturdays fiasco. Credit to Rankine for scoring, but we could have had a different situation if he had missed. A successful team must also be a disciplined unit on the pitch. So come on City! , let this be the last time we witness those disgraceful scenes. I also think (like "Sir Alex") that we certainly need to have a more adventurous approach to team selection, especially at home.[/p][/quote]Good call OLD-HEAD. Head of Bomber Command
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Mon 16 Aug 10

antonius maximus says...

Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!! antonius maximus
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Mike Hock1 says...

antonius maximus wrote:
Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.
[quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!![/p][/quote]Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really. Mike Hock1
  • Score: 0

2:36pm Mon 16 Aug 10

antonius maximus says...

Mike Hock1 wrote:
antonius maximus wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.
Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!!
[quote][p][bold]Mike Hock1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!![/p][/quote]Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.[/p][/quote]Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!! antonius maximus
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Mon 16 Aug 10

antonius maximus says...

antonius maximus wrote:
Mike Hock1 wrote:
antonius maximus wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.
Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!!
With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!!
[quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mike Hock1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!![/p][/quote]Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.[/p][/quote]Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!![/p][/quote]With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!! antonius maximus
  • Score: 0

3:01pm Mon 16 Aug 10

daveycfc655 says...

BSP league are close to a new tv deal to show 30 game per season.
BSP league are close to a new tv deal to show 30 game per season. daveycfc655
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Mike Hock1 says...

antonius maximus wrote:
antonius maximus wrote:
Mike Hock1 wrote:
antonius maximus wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.
Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!!
With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!!
i never actually said i thought he was a good player if truth be told i dont think he is but you cant argue with the lads goalscoring record, you just seem to attack the lad calling him a half wit when my point is i wish others showed the same commitment to the club like he does, maybe not worth responding pal as you dont seem to be able to have a mature conversation without throwing insults about
[quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mike Hock1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!![/p][/quote]Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.[/p][/quote]Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!![/p][/quote]With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!![/p][/quote]i never actually said i thought he was a good player if truth be told i dont think he is but you cant argue with the lads goalscoring record, you just seem to attack the lad calling him a half wit when my point is i wish others showed the same commitment to the club like he does, maybe not worth responding pal as you dont seem to be able to have a mature conversation without throwing insults about Mike Hock1
  • Score: 0

4:22pm Mon 16 Aug 10

JohnnyByrne says...

antonius maximus wrote:
antonius maximus wrote:
Mike Hock1 wrote:
antonius maximus wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.
Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!!
With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!!
I take it your here to wind York fans up? That isn't going to work fella so have a word with your full time carer and ask him to clarify your use of the word Dimbo! Dumbo!
[quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mike Hock1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!![/p][/quote]Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.[/p][/quote]Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!![/p][/quote]With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!![/p][/quote]I take it your here to wind York fans up? That isn't going to work fella so have a word with your full time carer and ask him to clarify your use of the word Dimbo! Dumbo! JohnnyByrne
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Hackney Lee says...

JohnnyByrne wrote:
antonius maximus wrote:
antonius maximus wrote:
Mike Hock1 wrote:
antonius maximus wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.
Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!!
With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!!
I take it your here to wind York fans up? That isn't going to work fella so have a word with your full time carer and ask him to clarify your use of the word Dimbo! Dumbo!
I agree with you Mike Hock. Brodie seems a good lad. Stick to hanging round the shops at Foxwood Antonius Maximus with your little chav mates
[quote][p][bold]JohnnyByrne[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mike Hock1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!![/p][/quote]Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.[/p][/quote]Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!![/p][/quote]With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!![/p][/quote]I take it your here to wind York fans up? That isn't going to work fella so have a word with your full time carer and ask him to clarify your use of the word Dimbo! Dumbo![/p][/quote]I agree with you Mike Hock. Brodie seems a good lad. Stick to hanging round the shops at Foxwood Antonius Maximus with your little chav mates Hackney Lee
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Lizzie Browning says...

JohnnyByrne wrote:
antonius maximus wrote:
antonius maximus wrote:
Mike Hock1 wrote:
antonius maximus wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!!
Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.
Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!!
With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!!
I take it your here to wind York fans up? That isn't going to work fella so have a word with your full time carer and ask him to clarify your use of the word Dimbo! Dumbo!
Agreed - he hasn't the wit to wind up a clock.
[quote][p][bold]JohnnyByrne[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mike Hock1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is a half wit who is just like the chavs of Chappie!![/p][/quote]Based on what evidence??, Met him in town a few weeks back thought he was a lovely chap who unlike many players we have had in the past seems to actually care about the club and has not jumped at his first oppotunity at joining a bigger club, we all know he could have gone and i would like to think this hasnt happened because the club havent had a bid they feel reflects his potential and goal scoring record, Ive never heard him moan and he seems generally happy to be at the club so a pathetic comment really.[/p][/quote]Which BIG club would really want the fool? Another non leaguer really be hitting the big time then wouldn't he. Just because he bought you an ice cream doesn't make him a good player, dimbo!![/p][/quote]With this squabbling perhaps we can get ourselves on City's books lol!![/p][/quote]I take it your here to wind York fans up? That isn't going to work fella so have a word with your full time carer and ask him to clarify your use of the word Dimbo! Dumbo![/p][/quote]Agreed - he hasn't the wit to wind up a clock. Lizzie Browning
  • Score: 0

10:30pm Mon 16 Aug 10

Aimson says...

Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him.

Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season.
Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him. Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season. Aimson
  • Score: 0

11:47pm Mon 16 Aug 10

YorkCityLuke says...

Aimson wrote:
Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him. Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season.
"A few goals"... really? Just a few? Not the top scorer in the BSP? Idiot.
[quote][p][bold]Aimson[/bold] wrote: Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him. Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season.[/p][/quote]"A few goals"... really? Just a few? Not the top scorer in the BSP? Idiot. YorkCityLuke
  • Score: 0

1:34am Tue 17 Aug 10

Head of Bomber Command says...

Aimson wrote:
Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him. Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season.
I can't agree with that Aimson. Crewe at home last year, it will be hard to see a better finish than the winner he got in that match. Scunny this time around along with Hartlepool game, never mind they were friendlies.

HOBC
[quote][p][bold]Aimson[/bold] wrote: Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him. Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season.[/p][/quote]I can't agree with that Aimson. Crewe at home last year, it will be hard to see a better finish than the winner he got in that match. Scunny this time around along with Hartlepool game, never mind they were friendlies. HOBC Head of Bomber Command
  • Score: 0

8:00am Tue 17 Aug 10

antonius maximus says...

Aimson wrote:
Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him. Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season.
Spot on, Brodie is a sub standard player all ways round.
[quote][p][bold]Aimson[/bold] wrote: Brodie may have scored a few goals at this level but no way will he score goals in the football league should any FL team be foolish enough to waste money on him. Watch his red card tally build up as the goals dry up this season.[/p][/quote]Spot on, Brodie is a sub standard player all ways round. antonius maximus
  • Score: 0

9:47am Tue 17 Aug 10

coolyman4 says...

Theres some real idiots on here. Yes brodie had a poor game on sat but he is still in the top 3 strikers in this division. I wouldnt call 37 goals a few either.
My biggest concern from sat was too many players playing out of position. Parslow is a centre back, Lawless a centre midfield and Carruthers a left back. Not saying they should play in those positions infront of others but dont play them out of position.
I disagree with alot of the flak that Gash has got on here. His touch is a different class at this level and I thought his link up play looked very tidy at times. With confidence and the faithful getting behind him aI think he will become a very good player for us.
Theres some real idiots on here. Yes brodie had a poor game on sat but he is still in the top 3 strikers in this division. I wouldnt call 37 goals a few either. My biggest concern from sat was too many players playing out of position. Parslow is a centre back, Lawless a centre midfield and Carruthers a left back. Not saying they should play in those positions infront of others but dont play them out of position. I disagree with alot of the flak that Gash has got on here. His touch is a different class at this level and I thought his link up play looked very tidy at times. With confidence and the faithful getting behind him aI think he will become a very good player for us. coolyman4
  • Score: 0

9:56am Tue 17 Aug 10

antonius maximus says...

Brodie is not and never will be a legend like Keith Walwyn.
Brodie is not and never will be a legend like Keith Walwyn. antonius maximus
  • Score: 0

12:09pm Tue 17 Aug 10

huntingtonagitator says...

Some people have very short memories on this site. Who scored the winning goal against Luton at home last season? Couldn't see anyone else scoring in that game BUT Brodie. Nobody's perfect, but can people be objective rather than subjective on here. I don't care whether the guy's a legend or not. So far Brodie has a goal record that speaks for itself, but really only one full season. If Brodie can match that over the next couple of seasons then he will prove himself as a striker in the eyes of many. Let's hope he continues to do this for City at least, rather than the constant speculation that he will move elsewhere. City have let other players go in the past that have proved themselves at a higher level many times (you know who I mean), where training regimes are much more rigorous and competition for places is tougher than the BSP. People said Brodie wouldn't make it when he stepped up from Benfield, after CW left and MF took over the transformation in Brodie was palpable. There is obviously some real competition in the City ranks to score at any given opportunity (hence the hand-bags on Sat), but MF needs to show positive management in this area and make it crystal clear to his players who is boss, which I think he will do over the next couple of games.
Tough test at Grimsby tonight, a draw would be a good result in my eyes, but I fear for City's fragile confidence level and also their discipline if we lose a couple of early goals. (Oh no! sorry about the pessimism... it comes from following City for over 40 years)!
Some people have very short memories on this site. Who scored the winning goal against Luton at home last season? Couldn't see anyone else scoring in that game BUT Brodie. Nobody's perfect, but can people be objective rather than subjective on here. I don't care whether the guy's a legend or not. So far Brodie has a goal record that speaks for itself, but really only one full season. If Brodie can match that over the next couple of seasons then he will prove himself as a striker in the eyes of many. Let's hope he continues to do this for City at least, rather than the constant speculation that he will move elsewhere. City have let other players go in the past that have proved themselves at a higher level many times (you know who I mean), where training regimes are much more rigorous and competition for places is tougher than the BSP. People said Brodie wouldn't make it when he stepped up from Benfield, after CW left and MF took over the transformation in Brodie was palpable. There is obviously some real competition in the City ranks to score at any given opportunity (hence the hand-bags on Sat), but MF needs to show positive management in this area and make it crystal clear to his players who is boss, which I think he will do over the next couple of games. Tough test at Grimsby tonight, a draw would be a good result in my eyes, but I fear for City's fragile confidence level and also their discipline if we lose a couple of early goals. (Oh no! sorry about the pessimism... it comes from following City for over 40 years)! huntingtonagitator
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Tue 17 Aug 10

red_leader says...

Brodie is a bit of an enigma! He doesn't look like a footballer, runs around like a headless chicken at times, is hopeless with his head & can't trap a ball to save his life. He is also getting a reputation with ref's for diving & moaning which is worrying as I don't think he'll get many penalty decisions this season. On the other hand you can't knock his commitment & his goal tally does indeed speak for it's self.
Brodie is a bit of an enigma! He doesn't look like a footballer, runs around like a headless chicken at times, is hopeless with his head & can't trap a ball to save his life. He is also getting a reputation with ref's for diving & moaning which is worrying as I don't think he'll get many penalty decisions this season. On the other hand you can't knock his commitment & his goal tally does indeed speak for it's self. red_leader
  • Score: 0

2:07pm Tue 17 Aug 10

1speedisalluneed says...

Another promising start to the season then - home defeat & players bickering with each other. At least the premier league players have a proper reason to fall out as they are all bedding each others WAGS.
Another promising start to the season then - home defeat & players bickering with each other. At least the premier league players have a proper reason to fall out as they are all bedding each others WAGS. 1speedisalluneed
  • Score: 0

4:36pm Wed 18 Aug 10

Hackney Lee says...

antonius maximus wrote:
Brodie is not and never will be a legend like Keith Walwyn.
So if he stayed for another 10 years and scored 20 goals a season he wouldn't win you round? I understand how you sometimes just don't 'get' what anyone sees in a player (I think Lampard's the most over rated idiot ever for instance) but I think Brodie, for the level he plays at, is a good player. Keith Walwyn was excellent, and indeed a legend, but he did play in a much better team with much better players than Brodie does now
[quote][p][bold]antonius maximus[/bold] wrote: Brodie is not and never will be a legend like Keith Walwyn.[/p][/quote]So if he stayed for another 10 years and scored 20 goals a season he wouldn't win you round? I understand how you sometimes just don't 'get' what anyone sees in a player (I think Lampard's the most over rated idiot ever for instance) but I think Brodie, for the level he plays at, is a good player. Keith Walwyn was excellent, and indeed a legend, but he did play in a much better team with much better players than Brodie does now Hackney Lee
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree