ACOMB Men I needed a last-gasp penalty to earn a 4-4 draw and maintain their unbeaten record in a gripping game at Sheffield Hallam V in Yorkshire League division two.

The visitors took time to adjust to the water-based pitch, but, against the run of play, took the lead as James Tindall hammered home.

Six minutes later, Hallam equalised, Tangerines keeper Craig Brown beaten by a reverse stick strike.

The game took more twists and turns leading up to half time.

Tindall netted his second of the game to give Acomb the advantage before Hallam equalised. A Pete Hilton strike from close range gave the visitors the edge going into the break.

The second half began with the hosts in the ascendency, equalising from a penalty corner before then taking the lead.

With four minutes remaining, Acomb were awarded a penalty after a goal-bound shot hit a defender's foot, and Matt Dickenson converted.

Acomb Men II breezed past City of York IX 9-1 to head division five north unbeaten, following last week’s derby win against the VIII team.

The Tangerines started well, taking an early eighth-minute advantage through a close-range shot from Andy Craig-Smith.

The visitors soon equalised, however, making it a tight encounter, until late first-half goals from Tom Whitfield and Craig-Smith’s second gave the hosts some breathing room going into the break.

The second period was a more one-sided affair, Anthony Daley and skipper Johnny Brown helping a rampant Acomb side to a big win.

Acomb Ladies were at home for the first time this Yorkshire League division one campaign, as they were held to a goalless draw by Halifax II.

The visitors started strongly, making the Tangerines’ back line of Wendy Watson, Jane Elsworth and Rachel Robertson work hard to deny them.

As the hosts settled, the momentum changed, with Vicky Wrigley and Hannah Yoward linking nicely to pressure the Halifax side, but the half ended without either side making the breakthrough.

The dynamic was similar in the second half.

Tight marking by Emily Watson and solid clearances from Sam Storr maintained Acomb’s clean sheet, while the best chance of the game – a shot from captain Kerry Woods from inside the ‘D’ after some good skill – came back off the post.

Both sides had their fair share of penalty corners, but neither defence could be breached.