HEWORTH ARLC, in their final game of the campaign, fought out a 38-38 share-all in a see-saw encounter with draw specialists Odsal Sedbergh at Elmpark Way.

It was a scrappy end-of-season Yorkshire Men's League division one affair, with both sides showing plenty of attacking intent, along with some woeful defending, which produced a total of 14 tries.

The Villagers led 20-18 at the break and 38-24 after 55 minutes but the visitors posted three tries in the final quarter to level the match for a unique fifth time this season.

Sedbergh opened the scoring after four minutes with a try by winger Callum McMahon, converted by centre Luke Dawson.

The hosts levelled two minutes later when hooker Dave Hayes touched down a cross-kick by loose-forward Joe Deighton, who also added the extras.

On nine minutes, Heworth went ahead after their opponents failed to deal with a bomb from player-coach George Elliott - this time playing at and full-back - and winger Lewis Hartley followed up to score.

Odsal, however, regained the lead with a try by centre Robert Priestley and another Dawson goal.

It was tit for tat all the way, and on 19 minutes Heworth scrum-half Liam Jackson sent centre Billy Sturdy racing away for an unconverted try to restore a two-point advantage.

Deighton then made it 20-12 after forcing his way over from close range and adding the extras.

Seven minutes from the break, however, Sedbergh interchange Oliver Priestley went over for a try that was improved by Dawson to reduce the deficit to a couple of points.

Two minutes into the second period, the Black and Whites went further in front, with Jackson dummying through the defensive line and weaving his way over from 40 metres out to touch down under the posts for Elliott to convert.

The Bradford outfit, though, put the match back in the balance, with prop James Sharp crossing and Dawson improving to make it 26-24.

Heworth thought they had done enough to win when Hayes crowned a man-of-the-match performance by darting over direct from acting-half in the 53rd and 55th minutes to complete his hat-trick, with Elliott tagging on both goals for a 38-24 advantage.

But the visitors had other ideas, and responded with touchdowns for Oliver and Robert Priestley, Dawson then converting his own score a share of the spoils.

Heworth finished the season fifth, one place and three points off the play-offs.