Match report: York City 2, Cambridge United 2

York City striker Jake Hyde celebrates his goal against Cambridge United

York City defender John McCombe misses the chance to equalise against Cambridge late in the first half

York City central defender Keith Lowe powers in a header that slaps against an upright

No joy as John McCombe misses a sitter right on the half-time whistle

Minsterman Lindon Meikle flies through the air in an acrobatic attempt to connect with a cross

Michael Coulson applies pressure on the Cambridge defence

First published in Sport
Last updated
York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Sports reporter

JAKE HYDE and Wes Fletcher were the heroes as York City mounted a stirring fight-back to grab a 2-2 draw with Cambridge United at Bootham Crescent.

The Minstermen were by far the better outfit but they found themselves two goals down late in the first half after Tom Elliott and a Kwesi Appiah penalty put the visitors in charge.

But Hyde was the lethal predator three minutes before the break – poking home at the near post – and, in a second half utterly dominated by York, they got their rewards with eight minutes remaining as Fletcher sent his own spot kick down the middle after he was pulled back in the area.

Trailing 2-1 at the break, manager Nigel Worthington had pulled no punches either.

Goalkeeper Jason Mooney, who had endured a difficult first half, was substituted as Michael Ingham returned to competitive action for the first time since January.

York could have scored twice in the opening 40 seconds. Coulson unleashed an arrowing shot from just outside the area towards the top corner only for Chris Dunn to acrobatically move to his left and tip it over the bar.

From the corner, Keith Lowe moved unmarked onto Lindon Meikle’s delivery and his planted downward header struck the Cambridge keeper’s right post.

Just two minutes later, Hyde found himself with room to shoot on the angle about ten yards out but Dunn denied City with his legs.

York continued to create chances but United warned them their continued profligacy in front of goal would eventually be punished.

Elliott was booked for diving on ten minutes after Mooney caught neither the ball nor the man as the Cambridge striker swept through the City defence.

The Minstermen keeper, given his height, looked surprisingly vulnerable under the high ball and also when under pressure but he made a good save – staying big and spreading his body – to deny Elliott on the quarter-hour mark after he intelligently ran on to Appiah’s threaded delivery through the heart of the 18-yard box.

At the other end, Coulson then hooked wide of the far post and hit a firm shot into the side netting before Cambridge finally punished York.

Dunn’s long free kick towards the edge of the area was speculative at best but, with Mooney in two minds whether to come or not, Elliott got on top of a defender and powered his header into the keeper’s far left corner.

The home side’s task quickly got even harder.

Elliott was again the tormentor and, as he caused havoc in the box yet again, Lowe came across with a sliding tackle.

The forward went down and referee Richard Clark pointed to the spot. Appiah sent Mooney the wrong way – calmly slotting the ball into the left corner.

Worthington’s men had a huge mountain to climb but, importantly, they reduced the deficit three minutes before the break when Coulson’s pin-point cross from the right was converted at the near post by a sliding Hyde.

York began strongly again on the restart, Straker narrowly failing to find the far post with a shot from the far left of the penalty area and Ilseanmi just clearing the crossbar from range.

As the hour mark approached, Dunn somehow managed to get in the way after Hyde deflected Summerfield’s effort goalwards.

Fletcher came on with 20 minutes remaining to further bolster City’s attack, replacing Hyde, and he was straight into the action – but he couldn’t get a toe onto Straker’s devilish cross through the heart of the Cambridge six-yard area.

Coulson then fired straight at Dunn from ten yards with time starting to run out and fans wondering if the equaliser was sever going to come.

It did with eight minutes remaining.

Tom Bonner clearly pulled back Fletcher in the area and he put the subsequent spot kick straight down the middle.

Cambridge may still have won it late on with Ingham getting something on Liam Hughes’ shot and Josh Coulson blazing the follow up over the bar.

But, in contrast to all of their other three matches this season, they avoided late heartbreak and held on for a deserved point.


Match facts

York City 2 (Hyde 42, Fletcher 83 pen), Cambridge 2 (Elliott 27, Appiah pen 37)

York City

Jason Mooney 5, Marvin McCoy 7, Keith Lowe 6, John McCombe 6, Femi Ilesanmi 7, Lindon Meikle 7, Russell Penn 7, Anthony Straker 8, Luke Summerfield 8, Jake Hyde 7, Michael Coulson 7.

Subs: Michael Ingham (for Mooney 46, 6), Dave Winfield (for McCombe 46, 6), Wes Fletcher (for Hyde 70, 7). Not used: Parslow, Platt, Montrose, Hirst.

Cambridge United

Chris Dunn, Liam Hughes, Josh Coulson, Tom Bonner, Greg Taylor, Luke Chadwick (Sam Whittall 60), Tom Champion, Robbie Simpson (Delano Sam-Yorke 61), Ryan Donaldson, Tom Elliott (Richard Tait 50), Kwesi Appiah. Subs not used: Adam Cunningham, Will Norris, Johnny Hunt, Harry Lennon.

Referee: Richard Clark (Northumberland).

Bookings: Elliott 6, J Coulson 65, Penn 69, Bonner 83.

Red cards: None.

Attendance: 3,175 (291 away fans).

Shots on target: City 5, The U’s 6.

Shots off target: City 8, The U’s 3.

Corners: City 7, The U’s 2.

Fouls conceded: City 10, The U’s 10.

Offsides: City 0, The U’s 3.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:14pm Tue 19 Aug 14

TheBurton says...

I don't think I've seen such a one sided game where we could not manage to win it! But that's football for you. Credit where credit is due to Cambridge though, to go 2-0 up at Bootham Crescent for the away team has not happened all that often so well done to them for that, but I must say, second half was all City's and we deserved all 3 points in a very entertaining game of football.
Anyway, onwards to Exeter and hopefully our first 3 points of the campaign.
I don't think I've seen such a one sided game where we could not manage to win it! But that's football for you. Credit where credit is due to Cambridge though, to go 2-0 up at Bootham Crescent for the away team has not happened all that often so well done to them for that, but I must say, second half was all City's and we deserved all 3 points in a very entertaining game of football. Anyway, onwards to Exeter and hopefully our first 3 points of the campaign. TheBurton
  • Score: 11

10:23pm Tue 19 Aug 14

yorkandproud says...

Very enjoyable game. Another rollercoaster night of emotions for city fans. Fantastic support once more from our fans. I said after Saturday, that I wasn't sure about Mooney, but he really had a poor first half, that cost him his place. I think we will see Ingham in goal at least for the time being. Sadly Mooney looks very raw, and not up to the job at present. Anyway onwards to Exeter on Saturday.
Very enjoyable game. Another rollercoaster night of emotions for city fans. Fantastic support once more from our fans. I said after Saturday, that I wasn't sure about Mooney, but he really had a poor first half, that cost him his place. I think we will see Ingham in goal at least for the time being. Sadly Mooney looks very raw, and not up to the job at present. Anyway onwards to Exeter on Saturday. yorkandproud
  • Score: 10

10:28pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Kev Benson says...

Probably the best game of football I've ever seen. Yes, it was frustrating that City didn't bag all the points, there was a fair bit of good luck on the visitor's side tonight, but we played like a top team - intelligent passing, incredible pressure on their defence, and, in the second half, our back four taking every ball off their attackers. Sadly, Mooney looked very timid, and from where we were, he DID foul Elliot - dived for the ball, which was his, and shied away at the last minute, I'm not sure what the future holds for him now (in fairness, Ingham had almost nothing to do in the second half).

Just one point, it was Fletcher who was brought down in the box, not Coulson - it happened right in front of us.

If we carry on like this, we are going to have a good season.
Probably the best game of football I've ever seen. Yes, it was frustrating that City didn't bag all the points, there was a fair bit of good luck on the visitor's side tonight, but we played like a top team - intelligent passing, incredible pressure on their defence, and, in the second half, our back four taking every ball off their attackers. Sadly, Mooney looked very timid, and from where we were, he DID foul Elliot - dived for the ball, which was his, and shied away at the last minute, I'm not sure what the future holds for him now (in fairness, Ingham had almost nothing to do in the second half). Just one point, it was Fletcher who was brought down in the box, not Coulson - it happened right in front of us. If we carry on like this, we are going to have a good season. Kev Benson
  • Score: 7

10:39pm Tue 19 Aug 14

dadster says...

yorkandproud wrote:
Very enjoyable game. Another rollercoaster night of emotions for city fans. Fantastic support once more from our fans. I said after Saturday, that I wasn't sure about Mooney, but he really had a poor first half, that cost him his place. I think we will see Ingham in goal at least for the time being. Sadly Mooney looks very raw, and not up to the job at present. Anyway onwards to Exeter on Saturday.
Whilst the majority of fans were great tonight those idiots that sarcastically cheered Mooney when he caught a ball should be ashamed of themselves. The guy was obviously struggling but shouting abuse at him as some were where I was stood was bang out of order. It also doesn't help when Ingham gets a massive cheer when he came on. He's not the answer and in few times he was in play in second half he nearly led to Cambridge scoring with a poor touch and by pushing out a relatively straightforward free kick from which they nearly scored from the rebound.

Also disappointed with Lowe for very publically blaming Mooney for the first goal. Don't want to see that on the pitch. Leave that for the dressing room. I don't recall Mooney berating Lowe for his poor tackle in conceding the pen.

Well done to NW for acting decisively at half time ad we were as poor as I've seen for a long time defensively tonight in the first half.

Overall a disappointing result but at least we scored a couple of goals and looked good going forward at times. However we have a big problem with the keeper situation IMO. I'm afraid Mooney needs to taken out of the firing line but Ingham isn't the answer. I for one hope NW scours the loan market.
[quote][p][bold]yorkandproud[/bold] wrote: Very enjoyable game. Another rollercoaster night of emotions for city fans. Fantastic support once more from our fans. I said after Saturday, that I wasn't sure about Mooney, but he really had a poor first half, that cost him his place. I think we will see Ingham in goal at least for the time being. Sadly Mooney looks very raw, and not up to the job at present. Anyway onwards to Exeter on Saturday.[/p][/quote]Whilst the majority of fans were great tonight those idiots that sarcastically cheered Mooney when he caught a ball should be ashamed of themselves. The guy was obviously struggling but shouting abuse at him as some were where I was stood was bang out of order. It also doesn't help when Ingham gets a massive cheer when he came on. He's not the answer and in few times he was in play in second half he nearly led to Cambridge scoring with a poor touch and by pushing out a relatively straightforward free kick from which they nearly scored from the rebound. Also disappointed with Lowe for very publically blaming Mooney for the first goal. Don't want to see that on the pitch. Leave that for the dressing room. I don't recall Mooney berating Lowe for his poor tackle in conceding the pen. Well done to NW for acting decisively at half time ad we were as poor as I've seen for a long time defensively tonight in the first half. Overall a disappointing result but at least we scored a couple of goals and looked good going forward at times. However we have a big problem with the keeper situation IMO. I'm afraid Mooney needs to taken out of the firing line but Ingham isn't the answer. I for one hope NW scours the loan market. dadster
  • Score: 10

10:50pm Tue 19 Aug 14

YorkCityLuke says...

Ingham is fine for me. I don't see the point in dropping the guy unless he makes too many mistakes/ has too many poor performances (as Mooney certainly has, hard as that may be on the guy). Entertaining game tonight, plenty of chances and some good movement in the wings, just need improvements to the final touch and we'll do well.
Ingham is fine for me. I don't see the point in dropping the guy unless he makes too many mistakes/ has too many poor performances (as Mooney certainly has, hard as that may be on the guy). Entertaining game tonight, plenty of chances and some good movement in the wings, just need improvements to the final touch and we'll do well. YorkCityLuke
  • Score: 6

11:02pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Kev Benson says...

dadster wrote:
yorkandproud wrote:
Very enjoyable game. Another rollercoaster night of emotions for city fans. Fantastic support once more from our fans. I said after Saturday, that I wasn't sure about Mooney, but he really had a poor first half, that cost him his place. I think we will see Ingham in goal at least for the time being. Sadly Mooney looks very raw, and not up to the job at present. Anyway onwards to Exeter on Saturday.
Whilst the majority of fans were great tonight those idiots that sarcastically cheered Mooney when he caught a ball should be ashamed of themselves. The guy was obviously struggling but shouting abuse at him as some were where I was stood was bang out of order. It also doesn't help when Ingham gets a massive cheer when he came on. He's not the answer and in few times he was in play in second half he nearly led to Cambridge scoring with a poor touch and by pushing out a relatively straightforward free kick from which they nearly scored from the rebound.

Also disappointed with Lowe for very publically blaming Mooney for the first goal. Don't want to see that on the pitch. Leave that for the dressing room. I don't recall Mooney berating Lowe for his poor tackle in conceding the pen.

Well done to NW for acting decisively at half time ad we were as poor as I've seen for a long time defensively tonight in the first half.

Overall a disappointing result but at least we scored a couple of goals and looked good going forward at times. However we have a big problem with the keeper situation IMO. I'm afraid Mooney needs to taken out of the firing line but Ingham isn't the answer. I for one hope NW scours the loan market.
I agree about the fans, why put a 25 year old under pressure by berating him? Do you really WANT to make it worse? And the point about Lowe is well made, I hadn't looked at it that way.

I also agree about Ingham, sadly he isn't the answer, but it seems neither is Mooney, unless they give him some serious training in assertiveness.
[quote][p][bold]dadster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yorkandproud[/bold] wrote: Very enjoyable game. Another rollercoaster night of emotions for city fans. Fantastic support once more from our fans. I said after Saturday, that I wasn't sure about Mooney, but he really had a poor first half, that cost him his place. I think we will see Ingham in goal at least for the time being. Sadly Mooney looks very raw, and not up to the job at present. Anyway onwards to Exeter on Saturday.[/p][/quote]Whilst the majority of fans were great tonight those idiots that sarcastically cheered Mooney when he caught a ball should be ashamed of themselves. The guy was obviously struggling but shouting abuse at him as some were where I was stood was bang out of order. It also doesn't help when Ingham gets a massive cheer when he came on. He's not the answer and in few times he was in play in second half he nearly led to Cambridge scoring with a poor touch and by pushing out a relatively straightforward free kick from which they nearly scored from the rebound. Also disappointed with Lowe for very publically blaming Mooney for the first goal. Don't want to see that on the pitch. Leave that for the dressing room. I don't recall Mooney berating Lowe for his poor tackle in conceding the pen. Well done to NW for acting decisively at half time ad we were as poor as I've seen for a long time defensively tonight in the first half. Overall a disappointing result but at least we scored a couple of goals and looked good going forward at times. However we have a big problem with the keeper situation IMO. I'm afraid Mooney needs to taken out of the firing line but Ingham isn't the answer. I for one hope NW scours the loan market.[/p][/quote]I agree about the fans, why put a 25 year old under pressure by berating him? Do you really WANT to make it worse? And the point about Lowe is well made, I hadn't looked at it that way. I also agree about Ingham, sadly he isn't the answer, but it seems neither is Mooney, unless they give him some serious training in assertiveness. Kev Benson
  • Score: 2

11:15pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Steve Carroll says...

Kev Benson wrote:
Probably the best game of football I've ever seen. Yes, it was frustrating that City didn't bag all the points, there was a fair bit of good luck on the visitor's side tonight, but we played like a top team - intelligent passing, incredible pressure on their defence, and, in the second half, our back four taking every ball off their attackers. Sadly, Mooney looked very timid, and from where we were, he DID foul Elliot - dived for the ball, which was his, and shied away at the last minute, I'm not sure what the future holds for him now (in fairness, Ingham had almost nothing to do in the second half).

Just one point, it was Fletcher who was brought down in the box, not Coulson - it happened right in front of us.

If we carry on like this, we are going to have a good season.
You are quite right. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll sort it.
[quote][p][bold]Kev Benson[/bold] wrote: Probably the best game of football I've ever seen. Yes, it was frustrating that City didn't bag all the points, there was a fair bit of good luck on the visitor's side tonight, but we played like a top team - intelligent passing, incredible pressure on their defence, and, in the second half, our back four taking every ball off their attackers. Sadly, Mooney looked very timid, and from where we were, he DID foul Elliot - dived for the ball, which was his, and shied away at the last minute, I'm not sure what the future holds for him now (in fairness, Ingham had almost nothing to do in the second half). Just one point, it was Fletcher who was brought down in the box, not Coulson - it happened right in front of us. If we carry on like this, we are going to have a good season.[/p][/quote]You are quite right. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll sort it. Steve Carroll
  • Score: 4

11:21pm Tue 19 Aug 14

it must be Gary Ford says...

Come on gents.. what's the difference between berating the guys on the pitch and then dissing Ingham on line? These fellas do read these pages. Also, Ingy has been a good clubman for a number of years and fans are surely allowed to give him a cheer when he comes on. I'd rather we cheer for all our players but we can always give our opinions in the ground or on this site and although I wish they were positive all the time its just not going to happen but we can surely be more constructive.

I genuinely feel sorry for Mooney and hopefully he'll take it on the chin and this will make him stronger.... but whoever plays between the sticks is going to have a tough time following in Pope's footsteps and it was good to see him start for CAFC tonight in the Championship.
Come on gents.. what's the difference between berating the guys on the pitch and then dissing Ingham on line? These fellas do read these pages. Also, Ingy has been a good clubman for a number of years and fans are surely allowed to give him a cheer when he comes on. I'd rather we cheer for all our players but we can always give our opinions in the ground or on this site and although I wish they were positive all the time its just not going to happen but we can surely be more constructive. I genuinely feel sorry for Mooney and hopefully he'll take it on the chin and this will make him stronger.... but whoever plays between the sticks is going to have a tough time following in Pope's footsteps and it was good to see him start for CAFC tonight in the Championship. it must be Gary Ford
  • Score: 5

11:22pm Tue 19 Aug 14

joejamestom says...

It would have been kinder to start with Ingham & not waste a sub but hindsight is not the best learning tool, Mooney will have to grow the thick skin & if he is determined it might be the making of him. Not decisive or sharp enough for the league for now. Thanks go to R Money for taking their best player off & NW for biting the bullet making the right subs. Entertaining game but our finishing was woeful at times don't remember Meikel putting a shot on target but a real handful otherwise & plenty of crosses from the wide men in general just no one with the height to take advantage of the high ones. Thought the corner when Lowe came in late was effective again plenty of positives but our C B pairing struggled against the pace of their front two & aerial ability of No10. When is the first win coming? Work to do to turn these decent performances into wins finishing & being much more watertight at the back sliding in to tackle in your area is asking for it notwithstanding the keeper issue. Still could have turned out worse. Next game please.
It would have been kinder to start with Ingham & not waste a sub but hindsight is not the best learning tool, Mooney will have to grow the thick skin & if he is determined it might be the making of him. Not decisive or sharp enough for the league for now. Thanks go to R Money for taking their best player off & NW for biting the bullet making the right subs. Entertaining game but our finishing was woeful at times don't remember Meikel putting a shot on target but a real handful otherwise & plenty of crosses from the wide men in general just no one with the height to take advantage of the high ones. Thought the corner when Lowe came in late was effective again plenty of positives but our C B pairing struggled against the pace of their front two & aerial ability of No10. When is the first win coming? Work to do to turn these decent performances into wins finishing & being much more watertight at the back sliding in to tackle in your area is asking for it notwithstanding the keeper issue. Still could have turned out worse. Next game please. joejamestom
  • Score: 3

11:29pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Paddycat says...

It's been noted by many on here that Mooney hasn't lived up to his billing, and so well done to NW for making the decision to remove him tonight. I feel for him but think that had he stayed on we'd have lost by two or three.

As it was, a great fightback and a hat full of chances which must have done a lot for the teams confidence. From looking down and out after half an hour to totally dominating the game shows that there is potential. But for me it's still work in progress as I'm still not convinced that we have the strike force to challenge at the very top. I haven't seen a lot to suggest that we have a 30 goal a season man in our ranks yet, and so perhaps that leaves a combined team effort. But that would suggest we need a fair dose of the goals coming from midfield. On the evidence so far, are there goal scorers there? Early days I know but someone needs to start converting those chances.

Perhaps negative, but I've been going to BC for over 40 years. Think I must have had a troubled childhood, not breastfed properly or something.
It's been noted by many on here that Mooney hasn't lived up to his billing, and so well done to NW for making the decision to remove him tonight. I feel for him but think that had he stayed on we'd have lost by two or three. As it was, a great fightback and a hat full of chances which must have done a lot for the teams confidence. From looking down and out after half an hour to totally dominating the game shows that there is potential. But for me it's still work in progress as I'm still not convinced that we have the strike force to challenge at the very top. I haven't seen a lot to suggest that we have a 30 goal a season man in our ranks yet, and so perhaps that leaves a combined team effort. But that would suggest we need a fair dose of the goals coming from midfield. On the evidence so far, are there goal scorers there? Early days I know but someone needs to start converting those chances. Perhaps negative, but I've been going to BC for over 40 years. Think I must have had a troubled childhood, not breastfed properly or something. Paddycat
  • Score: 3

11:42pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Kev Benson says...

Paddycat wrote:
It's been noted by many on here that Mooney hasn't lived up to his billing, and so well done to NW for making the decision to remove him tonight. I feel for him but think that had he stayed on we'd have lost by two or three.

As it was, a great fightback and a hat full of chances which must have done a lot for the teams confidence. From looking down and out after half an hour to totally dominating the game shows that there is potential. But for me it's still work in progress as I'm still not convinced that we have the strike force to challenge at the very top. I haven't seen a lot to suggest that we have a 30 goal a season man in our ranks yet, and so perhaps that leaves a combined team effort. But that would suggest we need a fair dose of the goals coming from midfield. On the evidence so far, are there goal scorers there? Early days I know but someone needs to start converting those chances.

Perhaps negative, but I've been going to BC for over 40 years. Think I must have had a troubled childhood, not breastfed properly or something.
Yes, very much a work in progress, but do you remember this time last year and how much Davies and Banj struggle to perform? A few months experience together, and we all know how that turned out. I'm sure their replacements will shake down just as good, and the same for the rest of the team.

I must admit, I'd still like to see another strong striker, we seem to get through ours at a hell of a rate, but Fletcher really gave the visitors headaches, so much so that they climbed all over him to give us the penalty.

And there is plenty of time to reverse the traumas of childhood. Just keep on breastfeeding - practice makes perfect!
[quote][p][bold]Paddycat[/bold] wrote: It's been noted by many on here that Mooney hasn't lived up to his billing, and so well done to NW for making the decision to remove him tonight. I feel for him but think that had he stayed on we'd have lost by two or three. As it was, a great fightback and a hat full of chances which must have done a lot for the teams confidence. From looking down and out after half an hour to totally dominating the game shows that there is potential. But for me it's still work in progress as I'm still not convinced that we have the strike force to challenge at the very top. I haven't seen a lot to suggest that we have a 30 goal a season man in our ranks yet, and so perhaps that leaves a combined team effort. But that would suggest we need a fair dose of the goals coming from midfield. On the evidence so far, are there goal scorers there? Early days I know but someone needs to start converting those chances. Perhaps negative, but I've been going to BC for over 40 years. Think I must have had a troubled childhood, not breastfed properly or something.[/p][/quote]Yes, very much a work in progress, but do you remember this time last year and how much Davies and Banj struggle to perform? A few months experience together, and we all know how that turned out. I'm sure their replacements will shake down just as good, and the same for the rest of the team. I must admit, I'd still like to see another strong striker, we seem to get through ours at a hell of a rate, but Fletcher really gave the visitors headaches, so much so that they climbed all over him to give us the penalty. And there is plenty of time to reverse the traumas of childhood. Just keep on breastfeeding - practice makes perfect! Kev Benson
  • Score: 2

11:45pm Tue 19 Aug 14

dadster says...

it must be Gary Ford wrote:
Come on gents.. what's the difference between berating the guys on the pitch and then dissing Ingham on line? These fellas do read these pages. Also, Ingy has been a good clubman for a number of years and fans are surely allowed to give him a cheer when he comes on. I'd rather we cheer for all our players but we can always give our opinions in the ground or on this site and although I wish they were positive all the time its just not going to happen but we can surely be more constructive.

I genuinely feel sorry for Mooney and hopefully he'll take it on the chin and this will make him stronger.... but whoever plays between the sticks is going to have a tough time following in Pope's footsteps and it was good to see him start for CAFC tonight in the Championship.
My point about the massive cheer for Ingham was that it was obvious that it demonstrated more of a lack of confidence in Mooney than it was for Ingham being back on the pitch. Whilst I am not an Ingham fan I clapped him onto the pitch as I do all the subs we bring on and whenever he wears the shirt I really hope he performs well and if he does then I will be the first to give him credit. There's no doubt he has been a great servant for City and I hope he really takes this opportunity as he is likely to be given the nod at Exeter on sat.

Constructive criticism is what this forum is all about but unfortunately as I said on an earlier comment some of the comments aimed at Mooney was a disgrace from some so called "supporters" tonight.
[quote][p][bold]it must be Gary Ford[/bold] wrote: Come on gents.. what's the difference between berating the guys on the pitch and then dissing Ingham on line? These fellas do read these pages. Also, Ingy has been a good clubman for a number of years and fans are surely allowed to give him a cheer when he comes on. I'd rather we cheer for all our players but we can always give our opinions in the ground or on this site and although I wish they were positive all the time its just not going to happen but we can surely be more constructive. I genuinely feel sorry for Mooney and hopefully he'll take it on the chin and this will make him stronger.... but whoever plays between the sticks is going to have a tough time following in Pope's footsteps and it was good to see him start for CAFC tonight in the Championship.[/p][/quote]My point about the massive cheer for Ingham was that it was obvious that it demonstrated more of a lack of confidence in Mooney than it was for Ingham being back on the pitch. Whilst I am not an Ingham fan I clapped him onto the pitch as I do all the subs we bring on and whenever he wears the shirt I really hope he performs well and if he does then I will be the first to give him credit. There's no doubt he has been a great servant for City and I hope he really takes this opportunity as he is likely to be given the nod at Exeter on sat. Constructive criticism is what this forum is all about but unfortunately as I said on an earlier comment some of the comments aimed at Mooney was a disgrace from some so called "supporters" tonight. dadster
  • Score: 10

11:46pm Tue 19 Aug 14

thirsky says...

The manager is receiving all the plaudits for making the decision about the goalkeeping situation at half time. Yet it was the manager who caused the situation in the first place by continuing to select Mooney who everyone agreed didnt appear to be up to the job based on his previous performances. The general opinion is that neither keeper appears suitable for the job so what on earth is our goalkeeping coach doing.
The manager is receiving all the plaudits for making the decision about the goalkeeping situation at half time. Yet it was the manager who caused the situation in the first place by continuing to select Mooney who everyone agreed didnt appear to be up to the job based on his previous performances. The general opinion is that neither keeper appears suitable for the job so what on earth is our goalkeeping coach doing. thirsky
  • Score: 9

12:06am Wed 20 Aug 14

andyjon12 says...

I remember watching a certain Dean Keily play in goal for York City in about his second or third game for the club quite a few years ago now. The young rooky at the time was having a bad game and couldn't seem to do anything right on this particular Saturday afternoon. The fans very quickly turned on Kiely giving him verbal abuse and generally berated everything the poor guy did or didn't do. Admitingly his kicking on this particular day was pretty bad so he did deserve the odd moan or two. Just before half time Keily produced a magnificant reflex save to keep City in the game. After making the save Keily immediately turned to the fans in the longherst and shouted and gestered with two fingers towards them as if to say luck who's effing crap now; this prompted a huge roar from the fans and then chants of Deano, Deano. Feckle or what! Anyway, my pont is is - was a "sink or swim" moment for an inexperienced and young rooky keeper. He came through it and the rest is history - so they say. So, I say lets give Jason Mooney a chance and get off his back. He has only played a handfull of leage games and could still come good yet. I for one sincerely hope he does and then he can shut those impatient doubters up who seem to enjoy the team or certain players struggling, as it gives them a perceived right to to slag them off without any regard for the players feelings or confidence.
I remember watching a certain Dean Keily play in goal for York City in about his second or third game for the club quite a few years ago now. The young rooky at the time was having a bad game and couldn't seem to do anything right on this particular Saturday afternoon. The fans very quickly turned on Kiely giving him verbal abuse and generally berated everything the poor guy did or didn't do. Admitingly his kicking on this particular day was pretty bad so he did deserve the odd moan or two. Just before half time Keily produced a magnificant reflex save to keep City in the game. After making the save Keily immediately turned to the fans in the longherst and shouted and gestered with two fingers towards them as if to say luck who's effing crap now; this prompted a huge roar from the fans and then chants of Deano, Deano. Feckle or what! Anyway, my pont is is - was a "sink or swim" moment for an inexperienced and young rooky keeper. He came through it and the rest is history - so they say. So, I say lets give Jason Mooney a chance and get off his back. He has only played a handfull of leage games and could still come good yet. I for one sincerely hope he does and then he can shut those impatient doubters up who seem to enjoy the team or certain players struggling, as it gives them a perceived right to to slag them off without any regard for the players feelings or confidence. andyjon12
  • Score: 16

8:18am Wed 20 Aug 14

FortessBC says...

Ingham has the experience in this league and IMO should keep the shirt now. Its upto Mooney to grab his chance when it comes. Positive signs again last night after a poor first 30 mins, what a different game it could have been if we had scored in that first 5 minutes. Summerfield grew into the game and I thought Femi & Straker caused problems all night on the left side. Wes gave the team a lift again when he came on and he just gives us more options with his ability to see a run and hold the ball up when surrounded by defenders. I have to say it was a really enjoyable game despite not winning
Ingham has the experience in this league and IMO should keep the shirt now. Its upto Mooney to grab his chance when it comes. Positive signs again last night after a poor first 30 mins, what a different game it could have been if we had scored in that first 5 minutes. Summerfield grew into the game and I thought Femi & Straker caused problems all night on the left side. Wes gave the team a lift again when he came on and he just gives us more options with his ability to see a run and hold the ball up when surrounded by defenders. I have to say it was a really enjoyable game despite not winning FortessBC
  • Score: 6

8:30am Wed 20 Aug 14

dadster says...

Another observation from last nights game was how good Winfield looked when he replaced McCombe. Admittedly Cambridge took off their striker early in the second half who had caused us a lot of problems but I like the look of Winfield and its good that he can put some serious pressure on both Lowe and McCombe both who who were poor last night in the first half. It was a toss up between who came off at half time. I would give Winfield a run in the side and thought Summerfield also did well apart from the odd poor pass. Harsh on Platt who has done well also but Summerfield looks like he gives us that bit extra quality at the moment.
Another observation from last nights game was how good Winfield looked when he replaced McCombe. Admittedly Cambridge took off their striker early in the second half who had caused us a lot of problems but I like the look of Winfield and its good that he can put some serious pressure on both Lowe and McCombe both who who were poor last night in the first half. It was a toss up between who came off at half time. I would give Winfield a run in the side and thought Summerfield also did well apart from the odd poor pass. Harsh on Platt who has done well also but Summerfield looks like he gives us that bit extra quality at the moment. dadster
  • Score: 5

10:08am Wed 20 Aug 14

twang says...

Posted after Saturday that Mooney should be dropped and given some time to get himself sorted, The idea of dropping him after Saturday was to avoid the problem of him being baracked at for any mistakes made last night which was unacceptable.
He is young and still learning which is the problem, we have brought in seasoned league aware players all over the pitch, but bring in a novice keeper, what should of happened was a solid time served keeper with Mooney as a pupil until he was ready, possibly the only mistake made over the summer, I like Ingham but at the end of his career proper planning needed for the future, which i think does include Mooney.
Posted after Saturday that Mooney should be dropped and given some time to get himself sorted, The idea of dropping him after Saturday was to avoid the problem of him being baracked at for any mistakes made last night which was unacceptable. He is young and still learning which is the problem, we have brought in seasoned league aware players all over the pitch, but bring in a novice keeper, what should of happened was a solid time served keeper with Mooney as a pupil until he was ready, possibly the only mistake made over the summer, I like Ingham but at the end of his career proper planning needed for the future, which i think does include Mooney. twang
  • Score: 1

12:45pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Willieeckerslike says...

We are starting to blend nicely and are better than last years first eleven IMO. Some team is heading for a right tonkin once the lads have got a few more games under their belts. I am not in the least bit worried, if we were playing poorly, then yes but the actual fact is, we are not.

Onwards and upwards and I expect a new face in the squad before the deadline arrives. As for Mooney, leave off the lad as he plays for, wait for it, YCFC and not the opposition. Encourage and support that is what the whole squad needs.
We are starting to blend nicely and are better than last years first eleven IMO. Some team is heading for a right tonkin once the lads have got a few more games under their belts. I am not in the least bit worried, if we were playing poorly, then yes but the actual fact is, we are not. Onwards and upwards and I expect a new face in the squad before the deadline arrives. As for Mooney, leave off the lad as he plays for, wait for it, YCFC and not the opposition. Encourage and support that is what the whole squad needs. Willieeckerslike
  • Score: 8

1:40pm Wed 20 Aug 14

saint-trinians says...

Putting aside for a moment the discussion about the players performances - I am mystified with the stats for the game, which I also attended.
The Press indicates that The City had 13 shots or attempts at goal of which only 5 were on Target, whereas the BBC recorded 23 shots/attempts at goal and 8 of those were on target.
There is somewhat of a major discrepancy between the two stat recorders it would be very interesting to find out which of the two reporters actually attended the game. Come on Press tell the truth!
I for one thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment, but unfortunately two points were lost. As a City Supporter for now 65 seasons I cannot start to say how highly I rate our manager and he deserves the credit and support that he is receiving from the Directors and the whole of the Club - Thank you Nigel I am sure that your influence is very far reaching both on and off the field. Onwards and up wards from now on!
Putting aside for a moment the discussion about the players performances - I am mystified with the stats for the game, which I also attended. The Press indicates that The City had 13 shots or attempts at goal of which only 5 were on Target, whereas the BBC recorded 23 shots/attempts at goal and 8 of those were on target. There is somewhat of a major discrepancy between the two stat recorders it would be very interesting to find out which of the two reporters actually attended the game. Come on Press tell the truth! I for one thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment, but unfortunately two points were lost. As a City Supporter for now 65 seasons I cannot start to say how highly I rate our manager and he deserves the credit and support that he is receiving from the Directors and the whole of the Club - Thank you Nigel I am sure that your influence is very far reaching both on and off the field. Onwards and up wards from now on! saint-trinians
  • Score: 5

3:13pm Wed 20 Aug 14

arsene.about.york says...

Steve Carroll wrote:
Kev Benson wrote:
Probably the best game of football I've ever seen. Yes, it was frustrating that City didn't bag all the points, there was a fair bit of good luck on the visitor's side tonight, but we played like a top team - intelligent passing, incredible pressure on their defence, and, in the second half, our back four taking every ball off their attackers. Sadly, Mooney looked very timid, and from where we were, he DID foul Elliot - dived for the ball, which was his, and shied away at the last minute, I'm not sure what the future holds for him now (in fairness, Ingham had almost nothing to do in the second half).

Just one point, it was Fletcher who was brought down in the box, not Coulson - it happened right in front of us.

If we carry on like this, we are going to have a good season.
You are quite right. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll sort it.
I know I'm being niggelly but, if we carry on like this we are heading for 46 draws. Not exactly a good season. I have made the point before that we need to see our forwards busting a gut to get on the end of all these crosses, something that I didn't again see last night. In fact but for the penalty we wouldn't have scored again if we had played til midnight. We now have 2 problem areas 1, a leaky defence ( where have the Keith Lowe and John Mc Combe of last season gone ? ) 2, Goal shy forwards. Not a good combination.
[quote][p][bold]Steve Carroll[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kev Benson[/bold] wrote: Probably the best game of football I've ever seen. Yes, it was frustrating that City didn't bag all the points, there was a fair bit of good luck on the visitor's side tonight, but we played like a top team - intelligent passing, incredible pressure on their defence, and, in the second half, our back four taking every ball off their attackers. Sadly, Mooney looked very timid, and from where we were, he DID foul Elliot - dived for the ball, which was his, and shied away at the last minute, I'm not sure what the future holds for him now (in fairness, Ingham had almost nothing to do in the second half). Just one point, it was Fletcher who was brought down in the box, not Coulson - it happened right in front of us. If we carry on like this, we are going to have a good season.[/p][/quote]You are quite right. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll sort it.[/p][/quote]I know I'm being niggelly but, if we carry on like this we are heading for 46 draws. Not exactly a good season. I have made the point before that we need to see our forwards busting a gut to get on the end of all these crosses, something that I didn't again see last night. In fact but for the penalty we wouldn't have scored again if we had played til midnight. We now have 2 problem areas 1, a leaky defence ( where have the Keith Lowe and John Mc Combe of last season gone ? ) 2, Goal shy forwards. Not a good combination. arsene.about.york
  • Score: -6

5:15pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Paddycat says...

Kev Benson wrote:
Paddycat wrote:
It's been noted by many on here that Mooney hasn't lived up to his billing, and so well done to NW for making the decision to remove him tonight. I feel for him but think that had he stayed on we'd have lost by two or three.

As it was, a great fightback and a hat full of chances which must have done a lot for the teams confidence. From looking down and out after half an hour to totally dominating the game shows that there is potential. But for me it's still work in progress as I'm still not convinced that we have the strike force to challenge at the very top. I haven't seen a lot to suggest that we have a 30 goal a season man in our ranks yet, and so perhaps that leaves a combined team effort. But that would suggest we need a fair dose of the goals coming from midfield. On the evidence so far, are there goal scorers there? Early days I know but someone needs to start converting those chances.

Perhaps negative, but I've been going to BC for over 40 years. Think I must have had a troubled childhood, not breastfed properly or something.
Yes, very much a work in progress, but do you remember this time last year and how much Davies and Banj struggle to perform? A few months experience together, and we all know how that turned out. I'm sure their replacements will shake down just as good, and the same for the rest of the team.

I must admit, I'd still like to see another strong striker, we seem to get through ours at a hell of a rate, but Fletcher really gave the visitors headaches, so much so that they climbed all over him to give us the penalty.

And there is plenty of time to reverse the traumas of childhood. Just keep on breastfeeding - practice makes perfect!
I've taken notice of your last comment and shall do my best in the name of therapy.
[quote][p][bold]Kev Benson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paddycat[/bold] wrote: It's been noted by many on here that Mooney hasn't lived up to his billing, and so well done to NW for making the decision to remove him tonight. I feel for him but think that had he stayed on we'd have lost by two or three. As it was, a great fightback and a hat full of chances which must have done a lot for the teams confidence. From looking down and out after half an hour to totally dominating the game shows that there is potential. But for me it's still work in progress as I'm still not convinced that we have the strike force to challenge at the very top. I haven't seen a lot to suggest that we have a 30 goal a season man in our ranks yet, and so perhaps that leaves a combined team effort. But that would suggest we need a fair dose of the goals coming from midfield. On the evidence so far, are there goal scorers there? Early days I know but someone needs to start converting those chances. Perhaps negative, but I've been going to BC for over 40 years. Think I must have had a troubled childhood, not breastfed properly or something.[/p][/quote]Yes, very much a work in progress, but do you remember this time last year and how much Davies and Banj struggle to perform? A few months experience together, and we all know how that turned out. I'm sure their replacements will shake down just as good, and the same for the rest of the team. I must admit, I'd still like to see another strong striker, we seem to get through ours at a hell of a rate, but Fletcher really gave the visitors headaches, so much so that they climbed all over him to give us the penalty. And there is plenty of time to reverse the traumas of childhood. Just keep on breastfeeding - practice makes perfect![/p][/quote]I've taken notice of your last comment and shall do my best in the name of therapy. Paddycat
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Wed 20 Aug 14

bill bailey says...

PADDYCAT..Three score and eighteen and still learning about biology . Just of interest so I can pass it on , Whisper it, just between you and I, How many ways is there to breast feed, I know all the other stuff, JEZZUS im coming over quite funny. Have a good night.
PADDYCAT..Three score and eighteen and still learning about biology . Just of interest so I can pass it on , Whisper it, just between you and I, How many ways is there to breast feed, I know all the other stuff, JEZZUS im coming over quite funny. Have a good night. bill bailey
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Wed 20 Aug 14

nigthepig says...

Great to see Ingham back. A class act at this level.
Great to see Ingham back. A class act at this level. nigthepig
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree