Cruel late blow for York City as Doncaster Rovers snatch injury time Capital One Cup winner

York City 0, Doncaster Rovers 1 - Capital One Cup

York City skipper Russell Penn in Capital One Cup action against Doncaster RoversPicture: Anthony Chappel-Ross

York City full-back Femi Ilesanmi storms forward against Doncaster RoversPicture: Anthony Chappel-Ross

York City winger Lindon Meikle tries his luck in the Capital One Cup clash with Doncaster RoversPicture: Anthony Chappel-Ross

First published in Sport
Last updated
by

YORK City were dealt another cruel late blow as Doncaster Rovers edged a 1-0 victory in the first round of the Capital One Cup.

Harry Forrester’s 91st minute strike, smashed into goalkeeper Jason Mooney’s bottom left corner, condemned the Minstermen to League Cup heartache – in a game they had bossed throughout.

Curtis Main held up the ball on the edge of the penalty area and there seemed little danger as he fed a pass to the second half substitute.

But Forrester took a touch inside and hammered a shot low and past a stranded Mooney into the net from about 18 yards.

It became the Minstermen’s ninth successive opening round defeat in the competition, a run of results which saw them win their last tie in 1997.

But this defeat was hugely undeserved.

They were superior throughout, continually hassling Rovers and creating a number of clear-cut chances.

Unfortunately, they were unable to capitalise and it eventually cost them.

Manager Nigel Worthington had suggested he may make changes in the wake of City’s 1-1 draw at Tranmere Rovers on Saturday but, in the event, he made just one – Dave Winfield coming in at centre-half for Prenton Park goalscorer Keith Lowe.

As they were at the weekend, the Minstermen were quickly out of the blocks. In the first minute, Anthony Straker gave Rovers full-back Liam Wakefield the first of what would be a series of recurring nightmares in the first half.

In stride, he skipped inside and outside the defender before firing a shot that Doncaster keeper Jed Steer handled easily.

Lindon Meikle had a shot blocked after Michael Coulson failed to narrowly get on the end of Straker’s bye-line cross and the best chance of a hugely encouraging opening then came in the seventh minute.

The assistant referee may have thought Coulson was offside, waving his flag in protest, but referee Mark Heywood carried on and so did the York City forward.

He pulled the ball back from the touchline to Ryan Jarvis, running into the area. The former Torquay frontman couldn’t get the purchase he wanted though – slightly scuffing his effort and allowing Steer to get down to his left and make the save.

It was midway through the first half before Doncaster managed their first shot and it wasn’t worth waiting for as Main, finally finding some space, ballooned an effort well over the bar from 20 yards.

Kyle Bennett, from a similar distance, at least tested Jason Mooney on 27 minutes but the giant City goalkeeper merely had to extend his hands to grasp the weak, curling effort.

Tom Platt’s strike, low and drilled from just outside the area ten minutes before the break, caused far more concern and Steer was grateful it rocketed narrowly past his right-hand upright.

They began the second half in similar fashion. Russell Penn grazed an effort just over the bar from the right side of the 18-yard box as Rovers, through Bennett and Theo Robinson, continued to resort to speculative efforts from range.

Steer was almost caught out as he raced out to meet Mooney’s long clearance only to see Meikle get there first. The winger was unable to find a teammate as he stole ahead of the Rovers custodian.

Steer did much better seconds later, however. Straker’s searching ball into the box found a willing Coulson running onto it in stride. He fired in a shot at the near post but Steer got his body in the way and forced it behind.

Coulson then had a fierce drive from 12 yards blocked and it looked like the Minstermen were starting to run riot.

But Theo Robinson reminded City of the visitors’ threat when heading over the bar and Forrester, with his opening touch of the ball, stumbled when Rovers finally got in behind York for the first time in the match on 66 minutes.

Straker continued to be influential. Steer parried a driven shot at point blank range which was arrowing towards the top corner after the winger weaved his way through the left side of the pitch, and several challenges, to smash an effort goalwards.

Coulson tried his best to win it for York late on, but his effort – on the turn following a fine piece of control eight yards out – was on the ground and straight at the Doncaster keeper.

Then Forrester produced a moment of magic to steal the tie away from the Minstermen.


Match facts

York City

Jason Mooney 7, Marvin McCoy 7, John McCombe 7, Dave Winfield 7, Femi Ilesanmi 7, Lindon  Meikle 7, Russell Penn 8, Tom Platt 7, Anthony Straker 9, Ryan Jarvis 7, Michael Coulson 8.

Subs: Ben Hirst (for Ryan Jarvis, 77). Not used: Ingham, Parslow, Lowe, Summerfield Montrose, Murray.

City star man: Anthony Straker.

Doncaster Rovers

Jed Steer, Liam Wakefield, Jamie McCombe (Rob Jones, 81), Luke McCullough, Cedric Evina, James Coppinger, Marc de Val Fernandez, Dean Furman, Kyle Bennett (Harry Forrester, 65), Theo Robinson, Curtis Main (Paul Keegan, 90). Not used: Marko Marosi, Nathan Tyson, Alex Peterson, Ben Askins.

Referee: Mark Haywood (Cheshire).

Bookings: Jamie McCombe 36, de Val Hernandez 57. 

Red cards: None.

Attendance: 3,357 (1,073 away fans).

Shots on target: City 7, Rovers 4.

Shots off target: City 4, Rovers 2.

Corners: City 9, Rovers 3.

Fouls conceded: City 9, Rovers 8.

Offside: City 0, Rovers 1.

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:22pm Tue 12 Aug 14

alimount says...

Lack of fitness? New players not quite working as a team yet? Disappointing there isn't a cup run again!
Lack of fitness? New players not quite working as a team yet? Disappointing there isn't a cup run again! alimount
  • Score: -35

10:31pm Tue 12 Aug 14

dadster says...

Best team lost tonight but Rovers had the clinical finish that we didn't sadly. Overall though a promising performance and thought we looked solid although scoring goals is going to be the issue until Hyde and Fletcher are fit IMO. Hope Jarvis us not too bad otherwise we have a real problem unless Hyde is back on Sat. Maybe the loan market beckons earlier than hoped!

Finally a word for Platt who without doubt looks a much more accomplished player this season.
Best team lost tonight but Rovers had the clinical finish that we didn't sadly. Overall though a promising performance and thought we looked solid although scoring goals is going to be the issue until Hyde and Fletcher are fit IMO. Hope Jarvis us not too bad otherwise we have a real problem unless Hyde is back on Sat. Maybe the loan market beckons earlier than hoped! Finally a word for Platt who without doubt looks a much more accomplished player this season. dadster
  • Score: 31

10:44pm Tue 12 Aug 14

legend7 says...

A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum. legend7
  • Score: 5

10:54pm Tue 12 Aug 14

arsene.about.york says...

When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.
When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week. arsene.about.york
  • Score: 12

11:06pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Killieboy says...

arsene.about.york wrote:
When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.
I'd love
[quote][p][bold]arsene.about.york[/bold] wrote: When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.[/p][/quote]I'd love Killieboy
  • Score: 0

11:16pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Killieboy says...

Killieboy wrote:
arsene.about.york wrote:
When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.
I'd love
I'd love a season of 1-0 wins every week. We are fans of york city, not Barcelona. Exciting football is great when and if we are able otherwise it's a results business. I'm confident we have a squad (when fully fit) of competing in this league and with St Nigel in charge we have the potential to challenge at the upper end of the table. We don't have a massive budget and must trust the board/manager to spend it wisely. I do. We'll be there or thereabouts , to employ a cliche, come May. We are York!!! And let's not forget that.
[quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]arsene.about.york[/bold] wrote: When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.[/p][/quote]I'd love[/p][/quote]I'd love a season of 1-0 wins every week. We are fans of york city, not Barcelona. Exciting football is great when and if we are able otherwise it's a results business. I'm confident we have a squad (when fully fit) of competing in this league and with St Nigel in charge we have the potential to challenge at the upper end of the table. We don't have a massive budget and must trust the board/manager to spend it wisely. I do. We'll be there or thereabouts , to employ a cliche, come May. We are York!!! And let's not forget that. Killieboy
  • Score: 6

11:54pm Tue 12 Aug 14

arsene.about.york says...

Killieboy wrote:
Killieboy wrote:
arsene.about.york wrote:
When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.
I'd love
I'd love a season of 1-0 wins every week. We are fans of york city, not Barcelona. Exciting football is great when and if we are able otherwise it's a results business. I'm confident we have a squad (when fully fit) of competing in this league and with St Nigel in charge we have the potential to challenge at the upper end of the table. We don't have a massive budget and must trust the board/manager to spend it wisely. I do. We'll be there or thereabouts , to employ a cliche, come May. We are York!!! And let's not forget that.
It's not a results business it is an ENTERTAINMENT business. Why can't we go out to play good football and get some of our players busting a gut to score goals, while still defending well ?
[quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]arsene.about.york[/bold] wrote: When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.[/p][/quote]I'd love[/p][/quote]I'd love a season of 1-0 wins every week. We are fans of york city, not Barcelona. Exciting football is great when and if we are able otherwise it's a results business. I'm confident we have a squad (when fully fit) of competing in this league and with St Nigel in charge we have the potential to challenge at the upper end of the table. We don't have a massive budget and must trust the board/manager to spend it wisely. I do. We'll be there or thereabouts , to employ a cliche, come May. We are York!!! And let's not forget that.[/p][/quote]It's not a results business it is an ENTERTAINMENT business. Why can't we go out to play good football and get some of our players busting a gut to score goals, while still defending well ? arsene.about.york
  • Score: -18

12:41am Wed 13 Aug 14

Killieboy says...

arsene.about.york wrote:
Killieboy wrote:
Killieboy wrote:
arsene.about.york wrote:
When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.
I'd love
I'd love a season of 1-0 wins every week. We are fans of york city, not Barcelona. Exciting football is great when and if we are able otherwise it's a results business. I'm confident we have a squad (when fully fit) of competing in this league and with St Nigel in charge we have the potential to challenge at the upper end of the table. We don't have a massive budget and must trust the board/manager to spend it wisely. I do. We'll be there or thereabouts , to employ a cliche, come May. We are York!!! And let's not forget that.
It's not a results business it is an ENTERTAINMENT business. Why can't we go out to play good football and get some of our players busting a gut to score goals, while still defending well ?
I agree it SHOULD be an entertainment business but the key word is indeed business. Gary mills had york playing some fantastic football and scoring 6/7 against sides etc (albeit conference teams) but had we stuck with him I doubt we'd be where we are now. Would you rather that than promotion? And yes i know he delivered before you say. A balance must be struck between results and silky soccer. I sincerely hope that one day the two can go hand in hand at york and I firmly believe that that day is coming and is indeed here. Occasionally. Consistency is not abundant at this level. There have been plenty good performances but we must accept that it's nit going to be every week. As I said previously we are not watching Barcelona on a Saturday. Keep the faith.
[quote][p][bold]arsene.about.york[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Killieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]arsene.about.york[/bold] wrote: When are we going to learn ? If you don't take your chances you are going to get sucker punched, and we did, again. I thought the performance overall was fine, as was Saturday's at Tranmere. I thought Meikle, Straker and Coulson caused them problems all night but, what worries me is that when crosses come into the box no one seems to want to bust a gut to get on the end of them. Things may change when we have Fletcher, Hyde or hopefully both back fit. I hope,so otherwise it's going to be another long season of scraping 1-0 wins every week.[/p][/quote]I'd love[/p][/quote]I'd love a season of 1-0 wins every week. We are fans of york city, not Barcelona. Exciting football is great when and if we are able otherwise it's a results business. I'm confident we have a squad (when fully fit) of competing in this league and with St Nigel in charge we have the potential to challenge at the upper end of the table. We don't have a massive budget and must trust the board/manager to spend it wisely. I do. We'll be there or thereabouts , to employ a cliche, come May. We are York!!! And let's not forget that.[/p][/quote]It's not a results business it is an ENTERTAINMENT business. Why can't we go out to play good football and get some of our players busting a gut to score goals, while still defending well ?[/p][/quote]I agree it SHOULD be an entertainment business but the key word is indeed business. Gary mills had york playing some fantastic football and scoring 6/7 against sides etc (albeit conference teams) but had we stuck with him I doubt we'd be where we are now. Would you rather that than promotion? And yes i know he delivered before you say. A balance must be struck between results and silky soccer. I sincerely hope that one day the two can go hand in hand at york and I firmly believe that that day is coming and is indeed here. Occasionally. Consistency is not abundant at this level. There have been plenty good performances but we must accept that it's nit going to be every week. As I said previously we are not watching Barcelona on a Saturday. Keep the faith. Killieboy
  • Score: 9

8:10am Wed 13 Aug 14

bill bailey says...

I wish you guys kicked Mills into touch the club is totally different , more forward thinking , a manager of quality , players who are league players ,
there is no comparison so lets forget the past its the future that's important, Lets just say on the last two games the chances we had both games should have been put to bed in the first half, as of yet our finishing is of concern and we urgently need a players that do the simple things WELL
its not rocket science the players are readable in the area last season was the same we have this obsession about having 6 ft plus players up front when a terrier of 5 ft 8in can draw defences out of position with his speed, we have scored one goal in the last 201 minutes a header from a corner buy a what we can say is a defender, I don't care where the goals come from as long as they come,
I wish you guys kicked Mills into touch the club is totally different , more forward thinking , a manager of quality , players who are league players , there is no comparison so lets forget the past its the future that's important, Lets just say on the last two games the chances we had both games should have been put to bed in the first half, as of yet our finishing is of concern and we urgently need a players that do the simple things WELL its not rocket science the players are readable in the area last season was the same we have this obsession about having 6 ft plus players up front when a terrier of 5 ft 8in can draw defences out of position with his speed, we have scored one goal in the last 201 minutes a header from a corner buy a what we can say is a defender, I don't care where the goals come from as long as they come, bill bailey
  • Score: 2

9:04am Wed 13 Aug 14

T.R.M1974 says...

Thought we played well last night appart from one thing our delivery into the box, if it had been better we could of got something but it was not to be. I said 2 weeks ago we needed to sign a few players, and now we have no recognized striker? One thing I must say is Tom Platt looks a totally different player, I don't know what happened to him over the last 12 months but he must feel as though he's wasted them
Thought we played well last night appart from one thing our delivery into the box, if it had been better we could of got something but it was not to be. I said 2 weeks ago we needed to sign a few players, and now we have no recognized striker? One thing I must say is Tom Platt looks a totally different player, I don't know what happened to him over the last 12 months but he must feel as though he's wasted them T.R.M1974
  • Score: 6

9:30am Wed 13 Aug 14

OLD - HEAD says...

To be honest, having seen both matches, I thought that we played much better last night than we did at Tranmere. But obviously our lack of a central striker is a big worry, with Fletcher, Hyde and now Jarvis sidelined. Not too keen on loan players personally, but the Manager will surely have to bring another striker in to ease the situation. You can not expect a young lad like Hurst to be our saviour, for the lad is just starting out on his career. Some tough games coming up and we need to score goals to avoid getting left behind in the early season running. A good performance last night, but we really do need another striker.
To be honest, having seen both matches, I thought that we played much better last night than we did at Tranmere. But obviously our lack of a central striker is a big worry, with Fletcher, Hyde and now Jarvis sidelined. Not too keen on loan players personally, but the Manager will surely have to bring another striker in to ease the situation. You can not expect a young lad like Hurst to be our saviour, for the lad is just starting out on his career. Some tough games coming up and we need to score goals to avoid getting left behind in the early season running. A good performance last night, but we really do need another striker. OLD - HEAD
  • Score: 31

9:47am Wed 13 Aug 14

tips says...

OLD - HEAD wrote:
To be honest, having seen both matches, I thought that we played much better last night than we did at Tranmere. But obviously our lack of a central striker is a big worry, with Fletcher, Hyde and now Jarvis sidelined. Not too keen on loan players personally, but the Manager will surely have to bring another striker in to ease the situation. You can not expect a young lad like Hurst to be our saviour, for the lad is just starting out on his career. Some tough games coming up and we need to score goals to avoid getting left behind in the early season running. A good performance last night, but we really do need another striker.
Totally agree we did not replace Bowman but now with the injuries it is obvious we need another lad to come in .
Was impressed with our performance last night but we do need to work on the final ball.
NW and the team will be aware of this but if we can continue to work as hard then this can be a great season.
[quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: To be honest, having seen both matches, I thought that we played much better last night than we did at Tranmere. But obviously our lack of a central striker is a big worry, with Fletcher, Hyde and now Jarvis sidelined. Not too keen on loan players personally, but the Manager will surely have to bring another striker in to ease the situation. You can not expect a young lad like Hurst to be our saviour, for the lad is just starting out on his career. Some tough games coming up and we need to score goals to avoid getting left behind in the early season running. A good performance last night, but we really do need another striker.[/p][/quote]Totally agree we did not replace Bowman but now with the injuries it is obvious we need another lad to come in . Was impressed with our performance last night but we do need to work on the final ball. NW and the team will be aware of this but if we can continue to work as hard then this can be a great season. tips
  • Score: 16

10:46am Wed 13 Aug 14

FortessBC says...

tips wrote:
OLD - HEAD wrote:
To be honest, having seen both matches, I thought that we played much better last night than we did at Tranmere. But obviously our lack of a central striker is a big worry, with Fletcher, Hyde and now Jarvis sidelined. Not too keen on loan players personally, but the Manager will surely have to bring another striker in to ease the situation. You can not expect a young lad like Hurst to be our saviour, for the lad is just starting out on his career. Some tough games coming up and we need to score goals to avoid getting left behind in the early season running. A good performance last night, but we really do need another striker.
Totally agree we did not replace Bowman but now with the injuries it is obvious we need another lad to come in .
Was impressed with our performance last night but we do need to work on the final ball.
NW and the team will be aware of this but if we can continue to work as hard then this can be a great season.
I think we did replace Bowman, we brought in Hyde. Its a shame that all our recognised strikers are sidelined and NW will need to bolster the attack with a loan striker. Promising signs so early in the season and with a settled side we should be able to compete at the right end of the table. Very impressed with Straker's vision and ability to see a pass early. Another tough game coming up on saturday, Northampton has started the season well. COYP
[quote][p][bold]tips[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: To be honest, having seen both matches, I thought that we played much better last night than we did at Tranmere. But obviously our lack of a central striker is a big worry, with Fletcher, Hyde and now Jarvis sidelined. Not too keen on loan players personally, but the Manager will surely have to bring another striker in to ease the situation. You can not expect a young lad like Hurst to be our saviour, for the lad is just starting out on his career. Some tough games coming up and we need to score goals to avoid getting left behind in the early season running. A good performance last night, but we really do need another striker.[/p][/quote]Totally agree we did not replace Bowman but now with the injuries it is obvious we need another lad to come in . Was impressed with our performance last night but we do need to work on the final ball. NW and the team will be aware of this but if we can continue to work as hard then this can be a great season.[/p][/quote]I think we did replace Bowman, we brought in Hyde. Its a shame that all our recognised strikers are sidelined and NW will need to bolster the attack with a loan striker. Promising signs so early in the season and with a settled side we should be able to compete at the right end of the table. Very impressed with Straker's vision and ability to see a pass early. Another tough game coming up on saturday, Northampton has started the season well. COYP FortessBC
  • Score: 6

1:08pm Wed 13 Aug 14

yorkandproud says...

We lost because we didn't score. We didn't score last night because our first choice strikers are injured. We were the better team in all other departments. It's not rocket science is it. When Wes returns we will see a huge difference I M O.
We lost because we didn't score. We didn't score last night because our first choice strikers are injured. We were the better team in all other departments. It's not rocket science is it. When Wes returns we will see a huge difference I M O. yorkandproud
  • Score: 14

2:51pm Wed 13 Aug 14

harrygilmore says...

First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.
First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game. harrygilmore
  • Score: -20

2:58pm Wed 13 Aug 14

tips says...

harrygilmore wrote:
First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.
What game was you at ? Cannot understand your comments ...surely a wind up !!!!
[quote][p][bold]harrygilmore[/bold] wrote: First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.[/p][/quote]What game was you at ? Cannot understand your comments ...surely a wind up !!!! tips
  • Score: 6

3:13pm Wed 13 Aug 14

FortessBC says...

harrygilmore wrote:
First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.
Don't hurry back
[quote][p][bold]harrygilmore[/bold] wrote: First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.[/p][/quote]Don't hurry back FortessBC
  • Score: 4

3:22pm Wed 13 Aug 14

yorkandproud says...

harrygilmore wrote:
First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.
Thanks for your comments Harry. Kenilworth Road might be a better place for the likes of you to watch your football.
[quote][p][bold]harrygilmore[/bold] wrote: First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.[/p][/quote]Thanks for your comments Harry. Kenilworth Road might be a better place for the likes of you to watch your football. yorkandproud
  • Score: 4

3:34pm Wed 13 Aug 14

openallhours says...

legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
[quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired. openallhours
  • Score: 1

3:47pm Wed 13 Aug 14

T.R.M1974 says...

openallhours wrote:
legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while
[quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.[/p][/quote]Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while T.R.M1974
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Wed 13 Aug 14

bill bailey says...

T.R.M1974 wrote:
openallhours wrote:
legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while
That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.
[quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.[/p][/quote]Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while[/p][/quote]That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals. bill bailey
  • Score: -3

5:46pm Wed 13 Aug 14

poppyroad says...

Are Stalker, Meikle, Coulson, Hyde, Penn & Platt six feet tall?
& what did Lowe do wrong at Tranmere to be replaced by Winfield?
or does it just demonstrate the increased depth of this year's squad - current injuries to strikers not withstanding.
Are Stalker, Meikle, Coulson, Hyde, Penn & Platt six feet tall? & what did Lowe do wrong at Tranmere to be replaced by Winfield? or does it just demonstrate the increased depth of this year's squad - current injuries to strikers not withstanding. poppyroad
  • Score: -1

5:58pm Wed 13 Aug 14

T.R.M1974 says...

bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
openallhours wrote:
legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while
That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.
The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?
[quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.[/p][/quote]Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while[/p][/quote]That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.[/p][/quote]The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he? T.R.M1974
  • Score: 5

6:24pm Wed 13 Aug 14

bill bailey says...

T.R.M1974 wrote:
bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
openallhours wrote:
legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while
That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.
The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?
SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix,
[quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.[/p][/quote]Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while[/p][/quote]That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.[/p][/quote]The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?[/p][/quote]SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix, bill bailey
  • Score: -5

7:47pm Wed 13 Aug 14

T.R.M1974 says...

bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
openallhours wrote:
legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while
That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.
The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?
SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix,
The point I am making is your going on about forwards don't have to be over 6ft but what you do t seem to realize is that Coulo has been upfront since Fletcher got injured in March and he's about 5ft 7. miekel is abou the same, straker is about 5ft 9 so we have a mix?
[quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.[/p][/quote]Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while[/p][/quote]That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.[/p][/quote]The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?[/p][/quote]SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix,[/p][/quote]The point I am making is your going on about forwards don't have to be over 6ft but what you do t seem to realize is that Coulo has been upfront since Fletcher got injured in March and he's about 5ft 7. miekel is abou the same, straker is about 5ft 9 so we have a mix? T.R.M1974
  • Score: 4

8:12pm Wed 13 Aug 14

bill bailey says...

T.R.M1974 wrote:
bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
openallhours wrote:
legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while
That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.
The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?
SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix,
The point I am making is your going on about forwards don't have to be over 6ft but what you do t seem to realize is that Coulo has been upfront since Fletcher got injured in March and he's about 5ft 7. miekel is abou the same, straker is about 5ft 9 so we have a mix?
Then they have start using their brain , if its the best we got and they are playing at the top of their game then they are not good enough, Its about craft , using your ability in the most productive way to score or make goals,
I maybe wrong , if I am then you must be happy with the status quo. I am not happy if 16 shots on goal produces 11 on target and produces zero. Am I wrong ? And why,
[quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.[/p][/quote]Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while[/p][/quote]That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.[/p][/quote]The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?[/p][/quote]SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix,[/p][/quote]The point I am making is your going on about forwards don't have to be over 6ft but what you do t seem to realize is that Coulo has been upfront since Fletcher got injured in March and he's about 5ft 7. miekel is abou the same, straker is about 5ft 9 so we have a mix?[/p][/quote]Then they have start using their brain , if its the best we got and they are playing at the top of their game then they are not good enough, Its about craft , using your ability in the most productive way to score or make goals, I maybe wrong , if I am then you must be happy with the status quo. I am not happy if 16 shots on goal produces 11 on target and produces zero. Am I wrong ? And why, bill bailey
  • Score: -7

8:26pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Paddycat says...

Blimey, I hope Fletcher has his shooting boots on when he comes back, there seems to be a lot of hope pinned on his shoulders. If my memory serves me well none of our strikers performed consistently well enough last season to be automatic choices every week (Coulson's second half of the season perhaps being the exception). Incidentally a good team does get a fair share of it's goals from midfield and elsewhere on the pitch (lets hope for one from a Mooney clearance?) so although variation isn't Nigel's middle name there are tactical alternatives to banging the ball up to a central striker.
Couldn't go last night due to previous misdemeanours, but listened on Radio York. Unlucky it seems but luck does have a way of evening out over the season……… sometimes….But who cares what i think as I'm post 25 and don't suppose any one's going to read my post any way. I'm of for a pint before the Mrs gets home.
Blimey, I hope Fletcher has his shooting boots on when he comes back, there seems to be a lot of hope pinned on his shoulders. If my memory serves me well none of our strikers performed consistently well enough last season to be automatic choices every week (Coulson's second half of the season perhaps being the exception). Incidentally a good team does get a fair share of it's goals from midfield and elsewhere on the pitch (lets hope for one from a Mooney clearance?) so although variation isn't Nigel's middle name there are tactical alternatives to banging the ball up to a central striker. Couldn't go last night due to previous misdemeanours, but listened on Radio York. Unlucky it seems but luck does have a way of evening out over the season……… sometimes….But who cares what i think as I'm post 25 and don't suppose any one's going to read my post any way. I'm of for a pint before the Mrs gets home. Paddycat
  • Score: 3

8:29pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Paddycat says...

Post 27
Post 27 Paddycat
  • Score: 0

8:30pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Paddycat says...

and 28…. and 29.
and 28…. and 29. Paddycat
  • Score: 1

8:32pm Wed 13 Aug 14

T.R.M1974 says...

bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
bill bailey wrote:
T.R.M1974 wrote:
openallhours wrote:
legend7 wrote:
A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton.

As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.
Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while
That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.
The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?
SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix,
The point I am making is your going on about forwards don't have to be over 6ft but what you do t seem to realize is that Coulo has been upfront since Fletcher got injured in March and he's about 5ft 7. miekel is abou the same, straker is about 5ft 9 so we have a mix?
Then they have start using their brain , if its the best we got and they are playing at the top of their game then they are not good enough, Its about craft , using your ability in the most productive way to score or make goals,
I maybe wrong , if I am then you must be happy with the status quo. I am not happy if 16 shots on goal produces 11 on target and produces zero. Am I wrong ? And why,
Bill we played well last night we are 2 games in nobody is at the top of there game at this point never mind fully fit. I'm off now family time can't be arsed to put you in your place all night, I suspect you will have your usual I'll have the last word?
[quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bill bailey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]T.R.M1974[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]openallhours[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]legend7[/bold] wrote: A very good performance tonight, very unlucky, we deserved the win, at least extra time, they got the luck we didnt have. However I must say Platt looks a far better player this year he was everywhere and did a fantastic job, Straker looks very capeable and impressed with McCoy. However Mooney looked shakey at best, im not sure if thats lack of matches or nerves, but his kicking was woeful tonight, personally id like to see ingham back for northampton. As for Jarvis, we need another striker, even if just on loan, Jarvis will be out for months (ankle ligaments), Fletcher is a month away from full match sharpness and fitness (he may play sooner but wont be at his best) and Hyde will not be fully fit if he couldnt even make the bench tonight, leaving coulson, who i feel is better out wide or behind a target man, and Hirst. Although i think Hirst has potential, we cant rely on such a young inexperienced striker this early when we need momentum.[/p][/quote]Strange comment re Mooney's kicking - from what I saw, the majority of his kicks found a City player and were reliable throughout the game. Whilst I like Ingham, it's a sad fact that his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.[/p][/quote]Thought the same a good back five that looked as though they had been together for a while[/p][/quote]That is why our games have been dominated by City, shutting out their forwards, there is only a certain amount defences can soak up,letting one in the last minute is ok if you have scored two yourself, that doesn't take much working out. last night we had 16 shots at goal 11 on target no goals scored, am I the only one that think we have a problem ? 6 footers are fine if they are scoring goals, I keep coming back to the same scenario shorter players are quicker , better balanced , because their have a lower centre of gravity, some here don't subscribe to that , all I can say some of the best players have been under six feet not only and they make and score goals.[/p][/quote]The best players are not in league2 ,Coulo was up front last night and he is not over 6 foot is he?[/p][/quote]SO what point are you making ? We know the best players are not in league 2, If you can work out what I was saying it was about a load of six footers don't have the same mobility as shorter players that is a proven fact, that is why I subscribe to a mix,[/p][/quote]The point I am making is your going on about forwards don't have to be over 6ft but what you do t seem to realize is that Coulo has been upfront since Fletcher got injured in March and he's about 5ft 7. miekel is abou the same, straker is about 5ft 9 so we have a mix?[/p][/quote]Then they have start using their brain , if its the best we got and they are playing at the top of their game then they are not good enough, Its about craft , using your ability in the most productive way to score or make goals, I maybe wrong , if I am then you must be happy with the status quo. I am not happy if 16 shots on goal produces 11 on target and produces zero. Am I wrong ? And why,[/p][/quote]Bill we played well last night we are 2 games in nobody is at the top of there game at this point never mind fully fit. I'm off now family time can't be arsed to put you in your place all night, I suspect you will have your usual I'll have the last word? T.R.M1974
  • Score: 1

8:44pm Wed 13 Aug 14

bill bailey says...

Paddycat wrote:
Blimey, I hope Fletcher has his shooting boots on when he comes back, there seems to be a lot of hope pinned on his shoulders. If my memory serves me well none of our strikers performed consistently well enough last season to be automatic choices every week (Coulson's second half of the season perhaps being the exception). Incidentally a good team does get a fair share of it's goals from midfield and elsewhere on the pitch (lets hope for one from a Mooney clearance?) so although variation isn't Nigel's middle name there are tactical alternatives to banging the ball up to a central striker.
Couldn't go last night due to previous misdemeanours, but listened on Radio York. Unlucky it seems but luck does have a way of evening out over the season……… sometimes….But who cares what i think as I'm post 25 and don't suppose any one's going to read my post any way. I'm of for a pint before the Mrs gets home.
Sorry to hear you had to stand in the corner facing the wall , life's a pig when her upstairs takes her belt off and threatens . Enjoy your pint stand up to her show her who's boss,
[quote][p][bold]Paddycat[/bold] wrote: Blimey, I hope Fletcher has his shooting boots on when he comes back, there seems to be a lot of hope pinned on his shoulders. If my memory serves me well none of our strikers performed consistently well enough last season to be automatic choices every week (Coulson's second half of the season perhaps being the exception). Incidentally a good team does get a fair share of it's goals from midfield and elsewhere on the pitch (lets hope for one from a Mooney clearance?) so although variation isn't Nigel's middle name there are tactical alternatives to banging the ball up to a central striker. Couldn't go last night due to previous misdemeanours, but listened on Radio York. Unlucky it seems but luck does have a way of evening out over the season……… sometimes….But who cares what i think as I'm post 25 and don't suppose any one's going to read my post any way. I'm of for a pint before the Mrs gets home.[/p][/quote]Sorry to hear you had to stand in the corner facing the wall , life's a pig when her upstairs takes her belt off and threatens . Enjoy your pint stand up to her show her who's boss, bill bailey
  • Score: -4

10:37pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Anysport says...

Jason Mooney 7, Marvin McCoy 7, John McCombe 7, Dave Winfield 7, Femi Ilesanmi 7, Lindon Meikle 7, Russell Penn 8, Tom Platt 7, Anthony Straker 9, Ryan Jarvis 7, Michael Coulson 8.

Mr Carroll must have been on the sherry if he thinks Penn was better than Tom Platt - Tom had another really good game with excellent closing down & distribution. I would have scored Penn well lower.

Also thought both wings & backs worked well throughout the game.
Jason Mooney 7, Marvin McCoy 7, John McCombe 7, Dave Winfield 7, Femi Ilesanmi 7, Lindon Meikle 7, Russell Penn 8, Tom Platt 7, Anthony Straker 9, Ryan Jarvis 7, Michael Coulson 8. Mr Carroll must have been on the sherry if he thinks Penn was better than Tom Platt - Tom had another really good game with excellent closing down & distribution. I would have scored Penn well lower. Also thought both wings & backs worked well throughout the game. Anysport
  • Score: 0

11:11pm Wed 13 Aug 14

openallhours says...

Anysport wrote:
Jason Mooney 7, Marvin McCoy 7, John McCombe 7, Dave Winfield 7, Femi Ilesanmi 7, Lindon Meikle 7, Russell Penn 8, Tom Platt 7, Anthony Straker 9, Ryan Jarvis 7, Michael Coulson 8.

Mr Carroll must have been on the sherry if he thinks Penn was better than Tom Platt - Tom had another really good game with excellent closing down & distribution. I would have scored Penn well lower.

Also thought both wings & backs worked well throughout the game.
Another strange post... I'm not Penn's biggest fan, but he was exceptional last night. Comparing Penn to Platt is like comparing a juicy burger to a tepid cup of bovril.
[quote][p][bold]Anysport[/bold] wrote: Jason Mooney 7, Marvin McCoy 7, John McCombe 7, Dave Winfield 7, Femi Ilesanmi 7, Lindon Meikle 7, Russell Penn 8, Tom Platt 7, Anthony Straker 9, Ryan Jarvis 7, Michael Coulson 8. Mr Carroll must have been on the sherry if he thinks Penn was better than Tom Platt - Tom had another really good game with excellent closing down & distribution. I would have scored Penn well lower. Also thought both wings & backs worked well throughout the game.[/p][/quote]Another strange post... I'm not Penn's biggest fan, but he was exceptional last night. Comparing Penn to Platt is like comparing a juicy burger to a tepid cup of bovril. openallhours
  • Score: -2

12:02am Thu 14 Aug 14

leotherock says...

FortessBC wrote:
harrygilmore wrote:
First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.
Don't hurry back
Hold on! I was a neutral fan there last night. I must of seen a different game to yourself!

A enjoyable game last night. I thought City should of being two up by half time. Just in the last 10 Donny looked liked scoring.

Straker looks a quality player. What they lack is someone up front to score the goals and they will be there. Good luck City.
[quote][p][bold]FortessBC[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]harrygilmore[/bold] wrote: First time i've attended a York city game and my neck hurts. As for bossing the game throughout i must have missed that. Apart from a ten minute period in the second half it was a fairly even if turgid game.[/p][/quote]Don't hurry back[/p][/quote]Hold on! I was a neutral fan there last night. I must of seen a different game to yourself! A enjoyable game last night. I thought City should of being two up by half time. Just in the last 10 Donny looked liked scoring. Straker looks a quality player. What they lack is someone up front to score the goals and they will be there. Good luck City. leotherock
  • Score: 7

5:04pm Sat 16 Aug 14

browbeaten says...

Another stunning start to the season for the heroes of bootham crescent. Get a life abd take up a new hobby like spiritualism or origami.
Another stunning start to the season for the heroes of bootham crescent. Get a life abd take up a new hobby like spiritualism or origami. browbeaten
  • Score: 1

5:07pm Sat 16 Aug 14

browbeaten says...

Another stunning start to the season for the heroes of bootham crescent. Get a life and take up a new hobby like spiritualism or origami.
Another stunning start to the season for the heroes of bootham crescent. Get a life and take up a new hobby like spiritualism or origami. browbeaten
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree