BISHOPTHORPE retained the HPH Cup as batsman Scott Clapham steered them to a three-wicket triumph at Clifton Alliance.

He scored a superb unbeaten 82 to finally break Ovington’s resistance in a high-class final.

Ovington posted 186-8, having to rebuild after losing two early wickets to paceman Rory Watson. Barry Steel (45) and Pete Kelly moved the score from 12-2 to 60 when Watson’s direct throw ran out Kelly for 17.

Ben Morrison didn’t last long but Craig Nicholl took the fight to Ovington with some splendid strokes. Even when Steel was bowled by Scott Reeves, Nicholl continued until the returning Watson bowled him for 57.

Watson finished with 4-50 while Reeves (1-28) and Ian Holmes (1-31) both bowled economically to keep the champions in check.

Ross Kelly got Bishopthorpe’s reply off to a flier with a series of boundaries before veteran Dave Brummitt came on to bowl Steve Eyre with his second delivery.

Brummitt also trapped Kelly lbw for 52 but with Clapham well set and the score on 84-2, the Bishops were in a strong position.

The score moved on to 135 before Nicholl bowled Reeves and Holmes with successive deliveries then removed Andrew Seager in his next over to see Bish slip to 137-5.

Steel maintained the momentum by dismissing Ben Smith and when Brummitt came back for his second spell to trap Danny Williams leg before, Bish were 164-7.

However, the match was brought to a swift conclusion when Mike Dale struck Brummitt for four and six in successive balls.

The trophy was presented by Charles Walker, a partner with sponsors HPH, pictured above.

Ovington will get another shot at cup silverware after their second team thumped Askham Bryan II in the semi-finals of the Prendergast Memorial Cup. Hopes of an all-Ovington final where dashed when the South Bank-based club’s third string were beaten in the other semi by Wheldrake.

Askham were rolled over for 90 by Ovington II’s Sam Prangnell (3-15) and Ben Svenson (3-31). The star of the show was 15-year-old wicketkeeper Matty Roberts who took two catches and made two stumpings.

Andy Cole didn’t waste any time getting Ovington to the target with an unbeaten 52 from 51 balls.

Ovington III didn’t get enough runs on the board against Wheldrake, whose Les Fearn returned 10-5-5-3. Andrew Tomlinson hit 52 before being run out, but Mark Cass picked up 4-54 as Ovington totalled 134-8. A partnership of 64 between Danny Southern (50no) and Ben Challis (49) enabled Wheldrake to win by six wickets.

Wheldrake will take on Ovington II in the final at North Cave on August 31.