YORK Lokomotive ARLC maintained their Yorkshire League group two title aspirations with a superb last-gasp 30-28 victory at Huddersfield YMCA.

The hosts, strengthened by signing of the entire squad of top Pennine League outfit Lindley Swifts, swept into a 16-point lead in as many minutes.

The shell-shocked Lokos managed to force a repeat set of six, enabling centre Leon Ford to crash over and stand-off Tom Dunmore converted.

Fine play saw Lokos captain Liam Watling cross the whitewash in the final minute of the half, Dunmore again adding the extras to close to 16-12.

YMCA scrambled over in the opening minute of the second half, but a concerted spell of Lokos pressure was rewarded with a try by Matt Turner, Dunmore tagging the extras.

The home team broke the York defence to score out wide, but Lokos responded with a try by flying winger Ed Hampshire after great approach work from Turner. Dunmore again converted.

With the match tied at 24-24 with five minutes remaining, the Lokos were searching for the victory needed to stay in contention for the championship.

YMCA pounced on a dropped ball and broke away to score in the corner but, entering the final minute of play, the Lokos gained good field position and Watling kept the ball alive on the sixth tackle before squeezing in at the corner.

Dunmore kept his composure to kick a towering goal from the touchline to snatch victory.

Watling, Dunmore and Turner all stood out, with great contributions from Andy Rayner and Hampshire.

A strong all-round team performance earned Heworth ARLC 'A' a 52-12 victory over visitors Stanley Rangers 'A' in group two of the Yorkshire League.

The Villagers opened the scoring at Elmpark Way with a try from young centre Joe Deighton, only for the visitors to reply with a converted touchdown from veteran Dean Sampson, the former Great Britain player.

The hosts then punished a weak defence with tries from George Wilkinson, Joe Murphy, Tom Speck and Deighton, who also added four

goals with the visitors only adding a six-pointer.

In the second period, Heworth continued to build on their 28-12 lead with further touchdowns from Lewis Worthington, following a great break from Andy Spencer, a 60-metre effort from Billy Sturdy, Dean Smith, Johnny Marwood and Deighton, for his hat-trick.

Deighton also added two more goals for a personal tally of 22 points. Worthington completed the scoring with a conversion.

Sturdy took the man of the match award and received great support from Paul Watson, Ben Eastwood and Karl Southerington.