YORK City boss Billy McEwan has dismissed Accrington Stanley's £25,000 plus a player bid for 20-goal Conference top scorer Clayton Donaldson as an "embarrassment".
He said: "The offer was an embarrassment to our club and the player and is not even worth talking about. They were trying to take the Mickey and offered a derisory sum of money as well as a player I have been looking at for a long time."
City's board also issued a statement refuting reports from Accrington that the League Two strugglers had returned with a six-figure sum after their original approach had been rejected.
Communications and community director Sophie McGill said: "We can confirm that we received a written offer of £25,000 plus a player but that was rejected and we have had no further communication from Accrington Stanley and no further offers have been made."
League One promotion contenders Scunthorpe United, who have previously expressed an interest in Donaldson, are believed to be on the verge of selling former Leeds United striker Andy Keogh to Wolves.
The transfer fee is believed to be about £500,000, which is the minimum City have suggested would be needed to prise Donaldson away from KitKat Crescent before the transfer window closes on January 31.