YORK Acorn ARLC came out on top in a high-scoring division one clash with Milford Marlins in the National Conference League.

The Blue and Golds were 42-24 winners at Thanet Road, pulling away in the second half after being level at 18-18 at half-time.

Acorn opened the scoring on three minutes with a break from deep. Full-back Joel Johnson came into the line before passing out wide to centre Ryan Gallacher, who found winger Matthew Woods and he rounded the defence to score under the sticks. Antony Chilton converted.

On 17 minutes, Milford second row Dave Warren touched down and Martin Loverage converted, then after a spell of Acorn pressure the visitors scored again through stand-off Ryan Oxtoby. Again Loverage goaled.

Milford were penalised for stealing the ball, Harry Bromwich created some space and a deft kick from Chilton saw man of the match Gallacher touch down. Chilton followed up with the conversion.

Two minutes later, a superb kick from Milford found winger Jamie Juniper, who jumped high and touched down, with the conversion makinng it 18-12.

Acorn immediately levelled when Tom Hill teased the defence and a clever little grubber saw Gallacher pounce, Chilton adding the extras.

Acorn were first out of the blocks in the second half and Woods grabbed his second try on 43 minutes when a well measured kick by Chilton found Gallacher, who put Woods in. Chilton goaled.

Milford levelled again four minutes later. Acorn knocked on and from the scrum James Coates found his way over.

It took five minutes for Acorn regain the advantage. Joe Porter made a break and, from a long pass by Nick Speck, Josh Thompson was able to beat the defence to score, Chilton again converting from the touchline.

On 58 minutes, Chilton’s long kick was knocked on and Acorn took the opportunity for Daryl North to power through to score, Chilton converting.

Acorn's defence fell asleep to let James Coates in, but Jordan Myres laid on a superb pass and Gareth Singleton ran on to the ball for a try. Chilton converted.

Milford's Matthew Brocksom exploiting a tired defence for a late score, with Loverage converting.

There was no game for Heworth in division three.