York City play-off semi-final postponed because of heavy rain

York City play-off semi-final postponed because of heavy rain

York City play-off semi-final postponed because of heavy rain

First published in Sport
Last updated
York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Sports reporter

YORK CITY'S League Two play-off semi-final first leg clash with Fleetwood Town has been postponed because of an unplayable pitch.

Referee Carl Boyeson took the decision after initially delaying the 7.30pm kick off at Bootham Crescent for 30 minutes.

Heavy rain had lashed the pitch throughout the afternoon and left areas of standing water settling across both wings.

Groundsmen worked hard, using brooms and a rolling machine, to try and get the water off but, after delaying the kick-off, the Hull-based referee said he had no choice but to abandon the contest.

It has now been scheduled for Monday night.

Boyeson said: "I arrived at the ground and there was concerns regarding the pitch. It was holding water. At 7.15pm, it stopped raining but the pitch was still unplayable at that point.

"I gave the groundstaff 45 minutes, with the weather the way it was - not raining - to get the pitch into a position where we could play the game.

"Unfortunately, during that 45 minute spell it started to rain again. The harder the groundstaff were working, the worse the pitch was getting because of the rain."

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:37pm Sat 10 May 14

againstthecuts says...

The game has been rearranged to Monday night checked the weather forecast and we are due 4 days of heavy rain
The game has been rearranged to Monday night checked the weather forecast and we are due 4 days of heavy rain againstthecuts
  • Score: 14

10:14pm Sat 10 May 14

boyerforengland says...

Disappointing the game was called off but, in my opinion, the ref was absolutely right. It would have been a lottery on that pitch.
City are the form team so why nullify our better footballing skills by playing on a quagmire?
Disappointing the game was called off but, in my opinion, the ref was absolutely right. It would have been a lottery on that pitch. City are the form team so why nullify our better footballing skills by playing on a quagmire? boyerforengland
  • Score: 10

10:46pm Sat 10 May 14

York Manor says...

Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !!
Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !! York Manor
  • Score: 7

8:57am Sun 11 May 14

big boy york says...

just heard on radio york even tomorrow could be in doubt, heavy showers today n tomorrow between 3 n 6 torrential downpours hope ref has early inspection & makes a decision sooner rather than later
just heard on radio york even tomorrow could be in doubt, heavy showers today n tomorrow between 3 n 6 torrential downpours hope ref has early inspection & makes a decision sooner rather than later big boy york
  • Score: 5

9:17am Sun 11 May 14

Boyer for England says...

York Manor wrote:
Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !!
Spot on. Instead praising the groundstaff because we haven't had a match called off all season. Tend to think the lack of frost and snow the main reason.
[quote][p][bold]York Manor[/bold] wrote: Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !![/p][/quote]Spot on. Instead praising the groundstaff because we haven't had a match called off all season. Tend to think the lack of frost and snow the main reason. Boyer for England
  • Score: 3

11:38am Sun 11 May 14

Lutonium239 says...

We've got plenty of mops you could have used. Hope you'll be offering fleetwood some compensation for the postponement.
We've got plenty of mops you could have used. Hope you'll be offering fleetwood some compensation for the postponement. Lutonium239
  • Score: -15

12:13pm Sun 11 May 14

Koala says...

Valiant effort but obvious from the start that it was a no go. Lets hope for an earlier inspection tomorrow!

Notice Fleetwood are offering refunds to any of their fans unable to attend tomorrow.
Valiant effort but obvious from the start that it was a no go. Lets hope for an earlier inspection tomorrow! Notice Fleetwood are offering refunds to any of their fans unable to attend tomorrow. Koala
  • Score: 4

2:10pm Sun 11 May 14

CHISSY1 says...

Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica
l of football,waste of space.
Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica l of football,waste of space. CHISSY1
  • Score: -10

2:28pm Sun 11 May 14

yorkonafork says...

CHISSY1 wrote:
Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica

l of football,waste of space.
The players didn't call it off.

Do you enjoy being thick as pigshit on here or something? You do it that much you must be getting something out of it.
[quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica l of football,waste of space.[/p][/quote]The players didn't call it off. Do you enjoy being thick as pigshit on here or something? You do it that much you must be getting something out of it. yorkonafork
  • Score: 5

3:28pm Sun 11 May 14

CHISSY1 says...

yorkonafork wrote:
CHISSY1 wrote:
Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica


l of football,waste of space.
The players didn't call it off.

Do you enjoy being thick as pigshit on here or something? You do it that much you must be getting something out of it.
I know the players did not call it off,they are puppets they do as they are told. Obviously you must be of very low intelligence having to resort to bad language to try and get your point across.
[quote][p][bold]yorkonafork[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica l of football,waste of space.[/p][/quote]The players didn't call it off. Do you enjoy being thick as pigshit on here or something? You do it that much you must be getting something out of it.[/p][/quote]I know the players did not call it off,they are puppets they do as they are told. Obviously you must be of very low intelligence having to resort to bad language to try and get your point across. CHISSY1
  • Score: 0

3:54pm Sun 11 May 14

marvell says...

Boyer for England wrote:
York Manor wrote:
Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !!
Spot on. Instead praising the groundstaff because we haven't had a match called off all season. Tend to think the lack of frost and snow the main reason.
Pitch covers aren't just for frost and snow - they tend to be waterproof too !!
[quote][p][bold]Boyer for England[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]York Manor[/bold] wrote: Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !![/p][/quote]Spot on. Instead praising the groundstaff because we haven't had a match called off all season. Tend to think the lack of frost and snow the main reason.[/p][/quote]Pitch covers aren't just for frost and snow - they tend to be waterproof too !! marvell
  • Score: 2

4:23pm Sun 11 May 14

Phil, Leeds says...

York Manor wrote:
Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !!
Fair point this. Perhaps someone from the Club might care to respond to it.
[quote][p][bold]York Manor[/bold] wrote: Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !![/p][/quote]Fair point this. Perhaps someone from the Club might care to respond to it. Phil, Leeds
  • Score: -3

7:40pm Sun 11 May 14

DavidBu says...

York Manor wrote:
Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !!
What covers? This isn't a cricket ground.
[quote][p][bold]York Manor[/bold] wrote: Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !![/p][/quote]What covers? This isn't a cricket ground. DavidBu
  • Score: 4

8:16pm Sun 11 May 14

North Lincs Minsterman says...

marvell wrote:
Boyer for England wrote:
York Manor wrote:
Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !!
Spot on. Instead praising the groundstaff because we haven't had a match called off all season. Tend to think the lack of frost and snow the main reason.
Pitch covers aren't just for frost and snow - they tend to be waterproof too !!
The water has to go somewhere! The sides of the pitch last night were in standing water, they couldn't have taken any more.

In last night's conditions water would have got under any covers over the playing surface. The only place water could have been diverted was to perimeter drains and they were clearly not coping.

Let's praise the groundstaff for their efforts this season - the pitch is still in great condition. And congratulations to the fans who helped last night by offering to use the spare brushes to try to get the game on.
[quote][p][bold]marvell[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boyer for England[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]York Manor[/bold] wrote: Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !![/p][/quote]Spot on. Instead praising the groundstaff because we haven't had a match called off all season. Tend to think the lack of frost and snow the main reason.[/p][/quote]Pitch covers aren't just for frost and snow - they tend to be waterproof too !![/p][/quote]The water has to go somewhere! The sides of the pitch last night were in standing water, they couldn't have taken any more. In last night's conditions water would have got under any covers over the playing surface. The only place water could have been diverted was to perimeter drains and they were clearly not coping. Let's praise the groundstaff for their efforts this season - the pitch is still in great condition. And congratulations to the fans who helped last night by offering to use the spare brushes to try to get the game on. North Lincs Minsterman
  • Score: 1

8:43pm Sun 11 May 14

Dr Brian says...

York Manor wrote:
Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !!
Do you mean the covers that are used for frost and are porous (so have holes in)? If any covers had been on the ground and were taken off where would the water go?

Well done Groundstaff - unfortunately the numpty know italls have got it wrong again!
[quote][p][bold]York Manor[/bold] wrote: Why were the covers not put on when the forecast was dire for Saturday !![/p][/quote]Do you mean the covers that are used for frost and are porous (so have holes in)? If any covers had been on the ground and were taken off where would the water go? Well done Groundstaff - unfortunately the numpty know italls have got it wrong again! Dr Brian
  • Score: 1

9:17pm Sun 11 May 14

arsene.about.york says...

Lutonium239 wrote:
We've got plenty of mops you could have used. Hope you'll be offering fleetwood some compensation for the postponement.
You probably need lots of mops to clean up that toilet that passes for a ground where you play and the animals that inhabit it
[quote][p][bold]Lutonium239[/bold] wrote: We've got plenty of mops you could have used. Hope you'll be offering fleetwood some compensation for the postponement.[/p][/quote]You probably need lots of mops to clean up that toilet that passes for a ground where you play and the animals that inhabit it arsene.about.york
  • Score: 0

10:51am Mon 12 May 14

The Legend Of Keith says...

CHISSY1 wrote:
yorkonafork wrote:
CHISSY1 wrote:
Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica



l of football,waste of space.
The players didn't call it off.

Do you enjoy being thick as pigshit on here or something? You do it that much you must be getting something out of it.
I know the players did not call it off,they are puppets they do as they are told. Obviously you must be of very low intelligence having to resort to bad language to try and get your point across.
Sometimes bad language is the only way to bring justice to the description of someone. Taking you as an example, the term seems quite apt given your moronic and objectionable opening comments. The best way to avoid receiving such (accurate) responses would be to not post comments that are clearly seeking a conflicting response. For a keyboard warrior as yourself though, this is a concept you may find tricky to grasp.
[quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yorkonafork[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CHISSY1[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,rain,might spoil their hairstyles or give them a cold.Pathetic,typica l of football,waste of space.[/p][/quote]The players didn't call it off. Do you enjoy being thick as pigshit on here or something? You do it that much you must be getting something out of it.[/p][/quote]I know the players did not call it off,they are puppets they do as they are told. Obviously you must be of very low intelligence having to resort to bad language to try and get your point across.[/p][/quote]Sometimes bad language is the only way to bring justice to the description of someone. Taking you as an example, the term seems quite apt given your moronic and objectionable opening comments. The best way to avoid receiving such (accurate) responses would be to not post comments that are clearly seeking a conflicting response. For a keyboard warrior as yourself though, this is a concept you may find tricky to grasp. The Legend Of Keith
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree