THREE goals in 14 second-half minutes sealed victory for Huntington Rovers in the final of the York FA Saturday Senior Cup.

Rovers had to come from behind against Wigginton Grasshoppers in the final of the Stoneplan Landscape Construction-sponsored competition at Tockwith.

After levelling at half-time, they seized control of the match and then staved off a late Grasshoppers comeback to lift the trophy after losing five previous finals.

Wigginton went close early on through Matt Tiplady, only for Huntington keeper Tom Hener to smother the ball.

Wiggy’s Lee Stewart left the field injured on 22 minutes and Rovers upped the pressure, but Chris Dyson miss kicked with only the keeper to beat.

Tiplady was then brought down in the area and Luke Roberts despatched the penalty, while Dave Hartas was denied on 44 minutes when his 25-yard free-kick was saved onto a post by Hener.

Huntington almost immediately won a corner, which Jon James flicked in for the equaliser at the break.

Tom Jackson almost put Wiggy back in front straight from the kick off as he raced forward, but struggled to get a good strike on goal.

Dyson put Rovers ahead on 52 minutes after finding space to volley the ball into the back of the net.

Two minutes later, Dyson was involved again as he headed a 30-yard free-kick into the path of James Edmond, who neatly placed the ball in the net.

Gary Newton made it 4-1 when he scored direct from a corner on 66 minutes, but a minute later Tiplady latched onto a through ball to slot home from 15 yards.

On 83 minutes, Wigginton pulled another goal back through Tom Derbyshire, while Huntington’s Lee Bunce shot straight at Wigginton keeper Mick Clancy on 85 minutesand then crossed for Chris Dyson who headed over the bar.

The trophy was presented by York FA president Roy Ellwood.

Meanwhile, Cliffe are one win away from the York Minster Engineering League division two title after they inflicted a 6-1 defeat on visitors Bishopthorpe United.

The hosts took the lead through Chris Jackson and were 4-0 up by the break thanks to further efforts from Kevin Taylor, Lee Carter and Wes Pears.

Jackson added his second after the restart before Bishopthorpe struck a consolation goal. Tom Hogg rounded off the scoring late on. Cliffe must win at Thorpe on Wednesday to snatch the title from F1 Racing's grasp.

The Reserve Cup final between Wigginton Grasshoppers and Thorpe United takes place at Huntington tomorrow (6.45pm).

On Wednesday, the Senior Cup semi-finals see Brooklyn host Wigginton while Huntington are at home to Old Malton.

The York Minster Engineering League has received applications from several new teams for the coming season.

Any other teams interested in joining should phone Matthew Ward on 01904 767613 or email at Applications must be received by May 31.