St Mary's clinch premier division title

St Mary's clinch premier division title

Huntington Rovers v Old Malton St Marys. Marcus Godsell in possession. Picture: Anthony Chappel-Ross

Huntington Rovers V Old Malton St Marys. Robbie Baker outstrips his Rovers oponant.pic: Anthony Chappel-Ross (5544667)

Huntington Rovers v Old Malton St Marys. Robbie Baker rues a missed chance. Picture: Anthony Chappel-Ross

Huntington Rovers v Old Malton St Marys. Rovers Andrew Barrett wins a header. Picture: Anthony Chappel-Ross

First published in Sport
Last updated

OLD Malton St Mary’s secured their second York Minster Engineering Football League premier division title in three years after a 2-1 win at Huntington Rovers.

Richard Dunning and Danny Fogg put the Ryedale side in a commanding position early on, but a goal from James Edmond put the match result into doubt.

Huntington then missed a penalty with five minutes to go as the away side clung on for the three points that sent the title back to Malton.

Riccall United put eight past York St John University without reply, but the St Mary’s win meant that they will have to settle for second place this year.

Mike Braithwaite (2), Wayne Brook, Johnny Barnett, Gary Collier (2), Martin Howson and Chris Coxon bagged the United goals.

Dringhouses raced into a 2-0 half-time lead at home to St Clement's thanks to a Sam Ripley-Kitson header and a Mark Woodward strike.

Though Saints bridged the gap with a goal after the break, Tom Hawksby restored Houses' two-goal cushion before another St Clement's reply late on.

Sporting Knavesmire snatched the division three title from Ouseburn United’s grasp with a convincing 10-0 win at Crayke.

The crushing win left them 18 ahead on goal difference in the final standings.

James Windle almost single-handedly put the result beyond any doubt with a first-half double hat-trick, while Tom Williams and Andrew Simpson goals also contributed to Knavesmire’s 8-0 lead at the break.

George Wilson and Alistair Brown scored in the second period as Knavesmire finished the campaign with promotion for the second time in three years.

Bishop Wilton gained a 4-3 win at home to Rufforth. Goals from Sam Duffy and Dan Croft, plus a Tom Knowles brace, gave the hosts the points.


Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree