York “A” ended an excellent season in the Yorkshire Over 55`s League as they again finished behind Featherstone, this time in the end of season Challenge Cup.

York got off to a good start as they beat third placed Redcar 47-32 picking up the twelve points at stake thanks to three winning rinks, all winning by seven shots.

Graham Brookes team got off to a good start leading 9-1 on their way to a 14-7 victory while Geoff Walker’s side only lost three ends in their 13-6 success. Graham Instone`s rink were never behind as they won 12-5.

Malcolm Thompson’s side let their game slip away after being 4-0 in front they found themselves 14-5 behind on their way to a 14-8 defeat. Featherstone won their first game 46-20 against Second Division Champions Hornsea, picking up the maximum 14 points.

The second game was always going to be the title decider as it pitched Featherstone against York and it was the West Yorkshire side who played to form winning three rinks and drawing one to virtually claim the trophy.

York’s draw came from Graham Brooke’s rink who picked up a three on the penultimate end to lead 9-8 only to drop a single on the last. Graham Instone`s side led 8-6 with three ends to play but lost 11-8.

Geoff Walker’s team were 10-3 down but pulled it back to 11-8 down when time ran out. Malcolm Thompson’s team were within a chance at 7-5 down but two three’s and two fours against them lost them their game 21-6.

Redcar were York’s only real chance of taking the title after they had picked up twelve points against Hornsea, another success in their last game against Featherstone would have opened the door to themselves and York. But it wasn’t to be as Featherstone again swept aside their opponents, winning all four rinks to finish the competition after claiming 41 of the 42 points at stake.

York sealed the runners up spot after beating Hornsea 48-46; Malcolm Harrison who replaced Malcolm Thompson guided his rink to a 17-7 success after being 5-1 down.

Geoff Walker’s side came from 7-4 down to go into the last end 11-7 ahead only to drop a four and draw 11-11. Graham Instone`s team were level at 8-8 going into the last before dropping a single and Phil Parsons team let a 7-5 lead slip into a 17-7 deficit over three ends on their way to a 19-12 defeat.