RESURGENT City of York men’s II came crashing back to earth with a 7-1 defeat by leaders Leeds Gryphons II in the Yorkshire Hockey League premier division.

Back-to-back wins had helped City pull clear of the drop zone, but a poor spell in the first half cost them any chance of taking the points against Leeds.

Leeds took the lead when a lifted ball across the face of goal was put in at the back post above shoulder height, but it was allowed to stand.

Straight from the push back, Gryphons intercepted and broke to double their lead and, when possession was surrendered too easily, they capitalised with a third.

Gryphons added two more goals before City responded two minutes ahead of half-time. David Clamp delivered a cross from the right for Pat Herriott to convert.

City put in an improved second half performance and opportunities fell the way of Jonny Kilmartin and man of the match Dan Ellwood, with the latter’s effort being stopped illegally on the line by the Gryphons captain. Ellwood took the resulting penalty stroke, which hit a post.

Gryphons hit City on the break for a sixth before converting another penalty corner.

In the final minutes, City thought they had another consolation when a well worked penalty corner of their own saw Ellwood flick home, but the goal was disallowed.

Relegated City of York I were unable to muster a win in the North League premier division as they lost 4-0 at University of Durham II.

City of York III lost 5-4 at Brigg II in Yorkshire League division two.

Ben Foster scored from a short corner and Chris Dutton found Alex Herriott in the ‘D’ for the second on ten minutes.

Ben Foster smashed in a short corner in the 15th minute before Brigg pulled a goal back.

Brigg scored first in the second half and, although Tim Lister made it 4-2 with ten minutes remaining, the home side struck three times late on.

Sam Baker was man of the match.

A see-saw game ended with City of York IV going down 5-3 at York University II in division three.

Rob Prentice was denied a penalty flick after only two minutes, but five minutes later he flicked in a short corner to put York ahead. The students fought back to lead 2-1 at half-time, but City forged ahead thanks to two goals from Phil Hughes.

The university side piled on the pressure and scored three unanswered goals to seal the win.

City of York V edged past Bradford II 4-3 in division four north.

York took an early lead through James Fitton before two goals from Bradford gave the second-placed side the lead. Parity was restored when Tony Brimble burst through into the Bradford ‘D’ to score.

In the second half, York took a two-goal lead, with Elliot Powell converting Nick Carter’s aerial delivery and then Carter scoring.

Bradford pulled back a goal with five minutes to go, but York had enough composure to safely run down the clock.

City of York VI picked up a 3-2 win at Boston Spa II in division five north. Having fallen behind, York levelled with a penalty flick that was well placed at pace by Rob Able.

Andy Wilson put York ahead after good work by Keith Wilson and Henry Wilson. Boston equalised before half-time but, with two minutes to play, York snatched the winning goal through Andy Wilson.

Also in division five north, City of York VII beat visitors Ben Rhydding VI 1-0. A first-half strike by James Gibbon was enough to win the game for the hosts.

City of York VIII drew 3-3 with Halifax IV.

Martin Gorton and David Cragg put York 2-0 up, but Halifax levelled before half-time.

Halifax scored again shortly after the break, but York hit back with a penalty corner by Andy Dent.