SELBY RUFC’S seven-match unbeaten run came to a sticky end as they lost 41-15 in the mud at Old Brodleians.

The Swans have only beaten Brods four times in 18 meetings since the advent of league rugby union in 1987 and they paid the price for a poor closing 30 minutes on Saturday.

Playing up the slope and against the wind in the first half, Selby fell behind after two minutes when prop Loma Kivalu put centre Nathan Scott over for a try and Danny Wood converted.

Poor passing in their own ten-metre area gifted Brodleians their second try after 17 minutes as winger Christian Sharples touched down for Wood convert.

Selby then started to make inroads into the Brodleians 22 and reduced the arrears with a 31st minute penalty from full-back Josh Cruise when the hosts were caught offside.

Three minutes later, Selby winger Ben Lunt scorched over in the corner for a try after the Brodleians defence was sucked in on the left with the ball spread wide to the right.

Selby conceded a try on 37 minutes after losing their lineout, with Brods flanker Ryan Harris going over in the corner for a 19-8 half-time lead.

On 48 minutes, number eight Martin Protheroe bulldozed his way through the Brodleians’ defence for a try converted by Cruise to give the visitors hope at 19-15.

However, Wood increased the lead with a penalty on 48 minutes and they added another soft try on 58 minutes, second row Callum Thompson the beneficiary.

Despite centre Sam Deacon being sent to the sin bin on 64 minutes, the hosts were dominating most of the play.

Kivalu barged over for a try on 70 minutes and Wood converted for a 34-15 lead.

The final nail in Selby’s coffin came after 76 minutes with a try from scrum-half Josh Allen, who was allowed to stroll in unopposed.

Wood converted to inflict Selby’s heaviest defeat of the season.

York were 22-17 winners over Medicals at Clifton Park in their opening Northern Divisions Intermediate Cup pool two fixture.

Sean Bass’ men will now face Consett for a place in the next round.

Two tries from man of the match Alexis Evrat helped York RI to a 25-21 victory at Ossett in Yorkshire Four.

Evrat, playing his final game for the New Lane club, stormed over in the corner for a try in the second minute.

Frazer Land followed him across the whitewash five minutes later and Evrat then scored again to stretch the lead to 15-0.

Ossett took advantage of an RI player being yellow carded, reducing the half-time arrears to 15-7.

Early in the second half, RI’s Baptiste Briu kicked a superb penalty in the swirling wind, but the home side threw everything at the visitors and were rewarded with a try to close to 18-14.

Briu chipped the ball towards the Ossett line and it fell just right for RI speedster Andy Brentnall to outpace the opposition to score and Briu added the extras.

At the death, the referee awarded the home side a try from an apparent knock on, but RI had the win in the bag.

Basement side Sheffield beat Morpeth 15-10 to ensure that Malton & Norton stayed out of the North One East drop zone.

Malton are fourth from bottom and two points ahead of third from bottom Morpeth, who now have only one game in hand.