DESPITE another defeat to remain lodged at the foot of the North Hockey League premier division City of York Men’s I drew comfort.

The York ranks lost 1-0 to Wirral-based hosts Oxton – a sharp contrast to the 9-2 loss York suffered in the sides’ first meeting earlier in the season.

York were on the front foot from the off and controlled possession as changes introduced by coach Dave Lancaster looked to have had the desired effect.

But York’s scoring woes continued with several chances spurned in the first half including a missed penalty stroke. Oxton went ahead against the run of play through a well worked short corner.

The second half continued as the first with York moving the ball around quickly and opening up opportunities, but they were thwarted by several top-drawer saves from the Oxton goalkeeper.

City of York II lost a five-goal tussle at home to Boston Spa I, who now sit six points clear of York in the Yorkshire League premier division.

Conditions were difficult in a strong wind, not helped by Boston Spa’s continual break up of play at free hits going unpunished throughout the game by the umpires.

Possession was traded cheaply by both sides, and neither had posed a threat until Boston Spa went ahead after the ball hit a post flush on to bounce straight to the striker to sweep home for a half-time lead.

With the wind dying down both sides were able to put some better moves together, though it was Boston Spa who doubled their advantage from a penalty corner.

City rallied and began to play the hockey that they are capable of. First, a penalty corner was deflected home via a combination of the ’keeper, a defender and Pat Herriott, before City levelled when Alex Fletcher was on hand at the back post to finish off a cross from Danny Vaughan.

City were now on top and were unlucky not to go in front – the Boston Spa ’keeper saving to prevent an own goal and an effort from Jonny Kilmartin.

As City pressed another mistake swung the game decisively in Boston’s favour when a third goal was bagged with ten minutes to go.

City pushed to get an equaliser without success, to go down to a second defeat in a row.

An alarming match-long habit of conceding possession proved the undoing of City of York III, who perished 5-3 to visitors Adel II.

Adel led 3-0 before Ben Foster cut the deficit to 3-1 by the interval.

Tim Lister further reduced the arrears only for Adel to reply and then Lister got it back to 4-3, but Adel would not be denied and struck a fifth to confirm victory.

York’s man of the match was Joe Moisley, whose excellent defence included several goal-line clearances.

Two late goals from Rotherham II denied City of York IV as their division three clash ended at 3-3.

York dominated most of the early play and were rewarded when Russell Bowry made room for himself in the ‘D’ and slotted the ball just inside a post.

Soon after, the York defence was caught ball watching and Rotherham equalised.

A slick move was smartly finished off with a reverse stick strike by Will Broadbent, giving York the advantage at the break.

York started the second half well and were rewarded when a cross from Ian Wiggins was deflected in for an own goal.

York applied a lot of pressure but were unable to beat the Rotherham ’keeper and the South Yorkshire side scored two late goals to steal a draw.

City of York V let slip a 3-1 lead as they went down 4-3 at Thirsk I in division four north.

The visitors hit back from a goal down to lead 2-1 at half-time with strikes from Andrew Brewster and Dave Rowlands.

They deserved a bigger interval lead, having had the better of possession and chances.

The lead was extended as youngster James Fitton crossed for Elliot Powell to convert.

However, City began to play deeper, while their discipline and passing deteriorated, as Thirsk took a grip on the game.

Also in the same division, City of York VI routed Ben Rhydding V 4-0. Early pressure was rewarded by a clinical finish by Jack Feasby from a Pat Birch cross. Birch extended the lead with a cool finish in the second half followed by goals from Andy Wilson and Henry Wilson.

City of York VII lost 3-1 at home to Acomb II.

City of York VIII returned to winning ways with a well-deserved 2-1 conquest of Leeds Adel VI in division six north.

York’s prolific striker Adam Iyer added to his burgeoning tally for the season with a close-range finish to put the home team in front.

The lead was ceded within minutes through a converted penalty corner, and despite constant pressure the home team were unable to convert a series of gilt-edged chances in the first half.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first half, with York pressing and creating chances which were not finished off.

With ten minutes of the match remaining, the home team finally regained the lead through an Iyer cross which was converted by Tim Downie – a lead well defended through to the final whistle.