York City manager Nigel Worthington facing striker shortage

York Press: York City boss Nigel Worthington York City boss Nigel Worthington

CENTRE-BACK John McCombe is unlikely to solve a potential striker shortage at York City by playing up front against Chesterfield tomorrow night.

Injuries to forward pair Ryan Bowman and Ryan Jarvis during Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Hartlepool meant McCombe made his City debut as a makeshift striker after being hailed from the bench on 85 minutes.

But, even if Bowman and Jarvis do not recover for the Bootham Crescent clash against the Spireites, City boss Nigel Worthington would be reluctant to name McCombe in attack even though the 28-year-old did start out as a forward when he was on schoolboy forms at Huddersfield Town.

First-year pro Chris Dickinson and 18-year-old Shaq McDonald could be other options for Worthington, if Bowman and Jarvis are ruled out.

But neither player has yet featured in a Football League fixture and McDonald did not even make the bench at Victoria Park.

Worthington could also draft somebody in with the transfer window still open until Friday.

Asked whether he would use McCombe as an emergency target man from the start against Chesterfield, Worthington said: “Ideally not, because you have got to be fair to him.

“We know John’s a centre-half but, being a goal down and with the strikers coming off at Hartlepool, we just tried to get a bit of a presence up there to make something happen and he gave it a good go.

“But, tomorrow, it might be a case of putting some fresh legs up there one way or another. We will need to see where we are at over the next 24 hours.

“Ryan Bowman has tweaked his Achilles so, hopefully, he might be fine. Ryan Jarvis has tweaked his ankle so his injury might be more serious.”

Midfielder Lewis Montrose will also be absent tomorrow night as he starts a two-match suspension after being shown his tenth yellow card of the season at the weekend.

Adam Reed and Tom Platt are contenders to replace him in the starting line up, with Worthington adding: “The door now opens for the next person in.”

The City boss, meanwhile, believed a “stupid” challenge at Hartlepool by Josh Carson, which saw the visitors fall behind from the subsequent free-kick on 82 minutes, proved the game’s pivotal moment.

Pools top scorer Luke James broke the deadlock and on-loan Manchester United winger Jack Barmby – the son of former England international Nick – went on to add a second goal on 89 minutes.

Delivering his match verdict, Worthington said: “It was a very, very good performance for 82 minutes. We were very strong, resilient and competed well but the first goal disappointed me because Josh gave away a stupid free-kick 20 yards from goal.

“He had the opportunity to clear the ball down the line but, instead, we gave them the chance to put it into our box and it’s finished up in the back of the net. It’s those little things that can be the fine margins between losing and winning games and you have to learn from these situations.

“If you have an opportunity to clear the ball you have to. We are not Real Madrid or Barcelona – we are York City and need to know where we are, what we are good at and act accordingly. We were then trying to get back in the game and they got a second.”

Keith Lowe also had a great opportunity to open the scoring on 78 minutes but lifted his shot too high from five yards out.

“In all honesty, it was probably harder to kick Keith’s chance over the bar than it was to put it in the net,” Worthington said. “We had other opportunities as well and we have got to make sure we show that desire and endeavour to score goals.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:49pm Sun 26 Jan 14

nearlyman says...

so lets have a look at Shaq McDonald. Ideal opportunity to see if the reality matches the hype ?
so lets have a look at Shaq McDonald. Ideal opportunity to see if the reality matches the hype ? nearlyman
  • Score: 13

5:48pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Southern Exile says...

Wouldn't Coulson be an option up front?
Wouldn't Coulson be an option up front? Southern Exile
  • Score: 7

6:11pm Sun 26 Jan 14

OLD - HEAD says...

Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.
Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool. OLD - HEAD
  • Score: 5

7:19pm Sun 26 Jan 14

RooBeck says...

Sorry Nigel, but didn't quite see the match in the way you describe!! Our goal-scoring opportunities were very scarce and Wes Fletcher ploughed a lone furrow all afternoon through lack of support. Our attacking moves headed sideways more often than not, and we didn't really trouble the Pools defence!! We defended okay for the most part but we were not a joined-up unit or creative in the opposition half of the pitch and were clueless in the final third, save for a couple of half-chances from set-pieces - Lowe's ballooned "effort" included! We need more creativity, pace, movement and quality deliveries to our strikers in and around the opposition danger area. Got to start scoring goals - they are drying-up again! COYR.
Sorry Nigel, but didn't quite see the match in the way you describe!! Our goal-scoring opportunities were very scarce and Wes Fletcher ploughed a lone furrow all afternoon through lack of support. Our attacking moves headed sideways more often than not, and we didn't really trouble the Pools defence!! We defended okay for the most part but we were not a joined-up unit or creative in the opposition half of the pitch and were clueless in the final third, save for a couple of half-chances from set-pieces - Lowe's ballooned "effort" included! We need more creativity, pace, movement and quality deliveries to our strikers in and around the opposition danger area. Got to start scoring goals - they are drying-up again! COYR. RooBeck
  • Score: 9

8:24pm Sun 26 Jan 14

yorkandproud says...

OLD - HEAD wrote:
Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.
Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small.



Andy Provan
Brian Pollard


Well?
[quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.[/p][/quote]Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small. Andy Provan Brian Pollard Well? yorkandproud
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Sun 26 Jan 14

AB- says...

yorkandproud wrote:
OLD - HEAD wrote:
Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.
Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small.



Andy Provan
Brian Pollard


Well?
Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham to add to the list
[quote][p][bold]yorkandproud[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.[/p][/quote]Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small. Andy Provan Brian Pollard Well?[/p][/quote]Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham to add to the list AB-
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Sun 26 Jan 14

duffy says...

nearlyman wrote:
so lets have a look at Shaq McDonald. Ideal opportunity to see if the reality matches the hype ?
Maybe but given he has hardly had a sniff with a centre half coming on in front of him I would suggest he is not showing close to enough in training to have a future with us.
[quote][p][bold]nearlyman[/bold] wrote: so lets have a look at Shaq McDonald. Ideal opportunity to see if the reality matches the hype ?[/p][/quote]Maybe but given he has hardly had a sniff with a centre half coming on in front of him I would suggest he is not showing close to enough in training to have a future with us. duffy
  • Score: 0

10:39pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Edsoni says...

McDonald is 18 years old and there are those heaping saviour status on him!
If he was that good, at that age, he would be on premiership books. Clearly the manager thinks he's worth a punt but the other youngster is ahead at the moment.
If we were looking to put a centre half up front as a desperate measure (which has worked for others in the past) then we needed to get into a position to deliver decent balls not ones which had him back to goal.
After McCombe appeared I'm not sure we had any delivery into the box -not even long throws - although right wing throw ins would have been into the teeth of squall.
Our only goal scoring centre half recently has been Smith whose goals were more than welcome last year. I'm hoping we won't need to rely on such heroics this year but a continuing failure to beat teams below us, or even create chances, will raise such a prospect.
Whatever the method, we are in urgent need of more creativity from the middle of the park and that needs the manager to modify his approach. The replacement for Montrose on Tuesday will be a telling selection.
McDonald is 18 years old and there are those heaping saviour status on him! If he was that good, at that age, he would be on premiership books. Clearly the manager thinks he's worth a punt but the other youngster is ahead at the moment. If we were looking to put a centre half up front as a desperate measure (which has worked for others in the past) then we needed to get into a position to deliver decent balls not ones which had him back to goal. After McCombe appeared I'm not sure we had any delivery into the box -not even long throws - although right wing throw ins would have been into the teeth of squall. Our only goal scoring centre half recently has been Smith whose goals were more than welcome last year. I'm hoping we won't need to rely on such heroics this year but a continuing failure to beat teams below us, or even create chances, will raise such a prospect. Whatever the method, we are in urgent need of more creativity from the middle of the park and that needs the manager to modify his approach. The replacement for Montrose on Tuesday will be a telling selection. Edsoni
  • Score: 4

12:52pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Maltkiln says...

duffy wrote:
nearlyman wrote:
so lets have a look at Shaq McDonald. Ideal opportunity to see if the reality matches the hype ?
Maybe but given he has hardly had a sniff with a centre half coming on in front of him I would suggest he is not showing close to enough in training to have a future with us.
That's a misleading statement as McDonald wasn't even on the bench on Saturday, I'm sure if he was then he would have gone on the pitch up front ?!
[quote][p][bold]duffy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nearlyman[/bold] wrote: so lets have a look at Shaq McDonald. Ideal opportunity to see if the reality matches the hype ?[/p][/quote]Maybe but given he has hardly had a sniff with a centre half coming on in front of him I would suggest he is not showing close to enough in training to have a future with us.[/p][/quote]That's a misleading statement as McDonald wasn't even on the bench on Saturday, I'm sure if he was then he would have gone on the pitch up front ?! Maltkiln
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Mon 27 Jan 14

OLD - HEAD says...

In reply to "yorkandproud" and "AB" I did not imply that Shaq McDonalds height stopped him from being selected. I said that "He may be the answer, I dont know". Of course I have seen all of the players mentioned - Andy Provan, Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham and Brian Pollard all small nippy little wingers. But I can not yet compare Shaq McDonald to any of those City legends. Its just a case of clutching at straws believing that this kid will be the answer to all of our prayers. Chesterfield are a big powerful team who will be a real test for us on Tuesday night. I am not sure its the right game for a young lad to make his league debut, thats all.
In reply to "yorkandproud" and "AB" I did not imply that Shaq McDonalds height stopped him from being selected. I said that "He may be the answer, I dont know". Of course I have seen all of the players mentioned - Andy Provan, Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham and Brian Pollard all small nippy little wingers. But I can not yet compare Shaq McDonald to any of those City legends. Its just a case of clutching at straws believing that this kid will be the answer to all of our prayers. Chesterfield are a big powerful team who will be a real test for us on Tuesday night. I am not sure its the right game for a young lad to make his league debut, thats all. OLD - HEAD
  • Score: 4

1:19pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Tiggster says...

Still remain unconvinced by NW as manager. He seems to have some good ideas that have made us harder to beat than under Mills but the quality of football is woeful for most of the time. Our creativity is minimal and therefore we simply dont make enough goal threats. We aren't good to watch at all and I still think we will do well to avoid a relegation fight. No way he will select McDonald against Chesterfield, I went to the away game and they hammered us for 60 minutes and how they didnt score more than 2 was a miracle. He will opt for caution to try and get a point.
Still remain unconvinced by NW as manager. He seems to have some good ideas that have made us harder to beat than under Mills but the quality of football is woeful for most of the time. Our creativity is minimal and therefore we simply dont make enough goal threats. We aren't good to watch at all and I still think we will do well to avoid a relegation fight. No way he will select McDonald against Chesterfield, I went to the away game and they hammered us for 60 minutes and how they didnt score more than 2 was a miracle. He will opt for caution to try and get a point. Tiggster
  • Score: -1

3:12pm Mon 27 Jan 14

nudger says...

If there is a striker shortage,then lets follow the Jose 4-2-3-1 model and have Platt and Penn holding,and Reed and the wingers just behind Fletcher. And for Fleetwood (and Wimbledon in March) consider McCombe,as an extra body in front of the back four like Parslow did so effectively in the run-in. Reports suggest that the Beast outmuscled Burton on Saturday, and precious little football was played at Kingsmeadow,a game Paul Tisdale likened to a rugby match!
If there is a striker shortage,then lets follow the Jose 4-2-3-1 model and have Platt and Penn holding,and Reed and the wingers just behind Fletcher. And for Fleetwood (and Wimbledon in March) consider McCombe,as an extra body in front of the back four like Parslow did so effectively in the run-in. Reports suggest that the Beast outmuscled Burton on Saturday, and precious little football was played at Kingsmeadow,a game Paul Tisdale likened to a rugby match! nudger
  • Score: 1

3:51pm Mon 27 Jan 14

RooBeck says...

AB- wrote:
yorkandproud wrote:
OLD - HEAD wrote:
Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.
Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small.



Andy Provan
Brian Pollard


Well?
Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham to add to the list
Jackie Fountain (though shouldn't really mention him!), Noel Peyton, Eamonn Dunphy (who broadcasts/pundits today for RTE Sports, and has previously mentioned his time with us!!), Jimmy Weir.
[quote][p][bold]AB-[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yorkandproud[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.[/p][/quote]Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small. Andy Provan Brian Pollard Well?[/p][/quote]Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham to add to the list[/p][/quote]Jackie Fountain (though shouldn't really mention him!), Noel Peyton, Eamonn Dunphy (who broadcasts/pundits today for RTE Sports, and has previously mentioned his time with us!!), Jimmy Weir. RooBeck
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Phil, Leeds says...

NW doesn't seem to have a problem criticising Josh Carson publicly which I don't think is helpful or warranted. This is at least the second occasion he has done this. OK so he gave a free kick away but wasn't the first and won't be the last to do so. Could have just as easily pinpointed Keith Lowe's glaring miss 3 minutes before as the game turner.
NW doesn't seem to have a problem criticising Josh Carson publicly which I don't think is helpful or warranted. This is at least the second occasion he has done this. OK so he gave a free kick away but wasn't the first and won't be the last to do so. Could have just as easily pinpointed Keith Lowe's glaring miss 3 minutes before as the game turner. Phil, Leeds
  • Score: 1

8:46am Tue 28 Jan 14

PositiveFootball says...

AB- wrote:
yorkandproud wrote:
OLD - HEAD wrote:
Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.
Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small.



Andy Provan
Brian Pollard


Well?
Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham to add to the list
Albert Johanneson
[quote][p][bold]AB-[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]yorkandproud[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: Quite a few people seem to be pushing for Shaq McDonad to be given a chance in the team. Watching him warm up at Bury I was amazed just how small he is I had always thought that he was a speculative signing, he may be the answer, I dont know. But Chesterfield are not really the best team to experiement against. I was at Chesterfield when City played them there, they dominated that game. Probably the most one sided football match that I have ever seen. Yet miraculously we came away with a 2-2 draw, and that was after we had held a 2-0 lead. On Tuesday night we will have to improve considerably on yesterdays lack-lustre performance at Hartlepool.[/p][/quote]Why would we sign a player like McDonald, and then not give him a go. There is a history of small players being rejected by clubs because they were vertically challenged. I am going to start a list of City players who were small. Andy Provan Brian Pollard Well?[/p][/quote]Billy Hughes, Wally Gould, Tony Canham to add to the list[/p][/quote]Albert Johanneson PositiveFootball
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree