SUPERB Selby RUFC trounced Yorkshire One hosts Wath-on-Dearne 47-10 to pick up where they left off before the festive break.

The Swans signed off 2013 with an eye-catching victory over promotion-chasing Doncaster Phoenix and started 2014 by toppling fifth-placed Wath to move up to seventh in the standings.

Josh Cruise returned from a lengthy injury lay-off but Dan Porter retained the fly-half position with Cruise coming in at full-back. The pair excelled with their kicking game in atrocious conditions.

Centre Teihana Brown set the ball rolling with a try on six minutes and Cruise then kicked a penalty five minutes later.

An Andrew Appleyard penalty put Wath on the board after 20 minutes, but three minuted later number eight Martin Protheroe touched down and Cruise converted for a 15-3 lead.

Wath had a player sin-binned and Cruise kicked the penalty on 33 minutes, but Selby prop Andrew Pocklington was sent to the bin after 38 minutes. Wath prop Brendan Angell scored a try for Appleyard to convert and the interval score was 18-10.

Within two minutes of the restart, Selby increased their lead to 28-10 with a Cruise penalty and a try from Porter converted by Cruise.

Brown got his second try on 49 minutes and Cruise converted, while Protheroe crossed on 56 minutes to put Selby out of sight at 40-10 in front.

Porter rounded off the win with an individual try and Cruise converted from the touchline.

The man of the match award went to winger Charlton McCoy for some breathtaking bursts of speed down the left.

Fourth-placed York were edged out 25-23 at third-placed Dinnington in Yorkshire One.

Meanwhile, York RI snatched a 19-15 victory over Sheffield Oaks at New Lane in their opening Yorkshire Four outing of 2014.

The home side led 7-3 at half-time when an early Oaks penalty was eclipsed by a Frazer Land try after a forward drive, with Baptiste Briu adding the goal.

The visitors scored an unconverted try in the corner after the break but, midway through the second half, Tim Lewis sprinted 50 metres and slipped the ball to James Farnsworth to score a superb try.

RI’s hopes looked dashed when Oaks were awarded a penalty try to take the lead at 15-12.

However, Land took a quick tap kick and burrowed over the Oaks line for Briu to add the conversion.

Rob Cuthbertson was RI’s man of the match.