Selby Town loses star striker ahead of back-to-back Clipstone clashes

York Press: Selby Town  will be without striker Jason Price, right, for their trip to Clipstone tomorrow in  division one of the Northern Counties East League. Price has joined rivals Shaw Lane. Selby Town will be without striker Jason Price, right, for their trip to Clipstone tomorrow in division one of the Northern Counties East League. Price has joined rivals Shaw Lane.

SELBY Town have been dealt a big blow after striker Jason Price left the club.

The former Doncaster Rovers forward scored the opening goal in the Robins’ 4-2 defeat at Hall Road Rangers last weekend but the Robins’ Northern Counties East League first division promotion drive could stall with his decision to join high-flying rivals Shaw Lane Aquaforce.

Boss Ian Dring was without a string of players for Saturday’s defeat and the cupboard is looking similarly bare as they look to negotiate the first of back-to-back games against Clipstone tomorrow.

Unable to field any subs against Shaw Lane, he admitted his team would again be “struggling” for their trip to Mansfield.

Dring has moved quickly to bolster his forward line with prolific old boy Steve Lyon, who will be available to travel to Clipstone.

And he said of Price’s depature: “One man doesn’t make a team. It is disappointing, but we have got Steve in.

“It’s going to be a hard game against Clipstone. I am not saying we will shut up shop but we could only field 11 players on Saturday and it doesn’t look to be getting any better.”

Pickering Town chief Mitch Cook says his side can only play one way as his men entertain Maltby Main in the premier division.

He has pledged they will go on the attack as they look to bolster their seventh place standing in the table.

Pickering beat Garforth Town 5-3 last time out and Cook isn’t overly concerned that his team conceded three goals for the second straight game.

Having been left with a threadbare squad after a number of players moved for the Recreation Ground exit door after former boss Jimmy Reid was dismissed earlier this season, Cook said he is happy to play aggressive football despite his inexperienced back line.

“In the previous three or four games before the last two we had only conceded one goal,” he said.

“When I took the job, and with the players that left, we were left with no defenders. The lads that are playing are doing a great job but it’s an inexperienced back line.

“What we have decided to do is attack. We will score goals and outscore the opposition. It’s the only way we can play. We can’t do anything different.

“Good players that I want to bring in are not available this season and I don’t see any point in bringing someone in if I don’t think they are good enough.

“We will maybe stick with what we have got and utilise what’s in the under-19s.”

On Maltby Main, he added: “You know what you are going to get. They are hard and physical and they are strong. If you aren’t expecting that you are going to get a shock. They will also know what to expect from us. We will attack them.”

Cook will be without his son Nathan who, following his two yellow cards against Brighouse, picked up another caution against Garforth and will now serve a two game ban.

Cook, who was also send to the stands in that Brighouse game after an altercation with an official, has received a letter from the North Riding County FA about the incident and has been asked to respond.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree