Huntington Rovers up to second place after Easingwold Town victory

York Press: Huntington Rovers go second after Easingwold Town victory Huntington Rovers go second after Easingwold Town victory

HUNTINGTON Rovers moved up to second in the York Minster Engineering Football League premier division with a 5-0 demolition of Easingwold Town.

The win, which was Huntington’s sixth on the trot, sees Rovers leapfrog Riccall United to sit seven points adrift of leaders Old Malton St Mary’s, who could only manage a point at home to Dunnington.

It did not take Huntington long to find their stride.

After only two minutes, a Gary Newton penalty put them into the lead. Minutes later Jon James hit a rocket of a shot to double their advantage.

Step forward man of the moment Chris Dyson, who hit a brace before the interval, the first of which was a glorious goal.

Latching onto Gary Mitchinson’s cross, Dyson teed the ball up with a left foot flick before volleying it home with his right.

With Easingwold trailing by four at the break, Dyson put the icing on the cake in the second period, completing the scoring with his hat-trick goal to seal a miserable day for Easingwold.

Old Malton looked to have victory sewn up against Dunnington until Jimmy Wilmoth scored an equaliser for the defending champions with the last kick of the game.

Callum Richardson also made the scoresheet for Dunnington, with Malton’s goals coming from Jon Newton and Damon Cox.

Dave Watson and Mark Woodward scored first-half goals to give Dringhouses a 2-0 win over Poppleton United.

Terrington Glory completed the easiest top-flight win of recent years with a 15-1 mauling of York St John University.

The students were unable to field a full side following travel problems but Terrington showed no mercy with Chris Rhodes (4), Alex Yates and Johnny Brown all bagging hat-tricks. Rich Carrick also grabbed a brace, with Chris Leedham, Mark Taylor and Ben Richardson completing the rout.

Wigginton Grasshoppers and York RI shared the points after a fair 2-2 draw at Mill Lane.

After dominating the first half and hitting the woodwork four times, RI finally nosed in front when Lee Powell scored on the stroke of half-time.

Wigginton came back into the game in the second period and their pressing was rewarded when Jamie Willstrop levelled from eight yards.

Powell then broke clear again to restore RI’s lead with 15 minutes to go, only to see Matthew Tiplady’s low strike beat the RI ’keeper to restore parity again.

With only minutes remaining, ’Hoppers’ Lee Stewart outpaced the RI back line but his long range shot slid agonisingly wide of the open goal.

Comments (0)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree