Nigel Worthington weighs up January transfer bid for Adam Reed

York Press: Adam Reed salutes the York City fans on his farewell appearance for the club at Dagenham & Redbridge on the final day of last season Adam Reed salutes the York City fans on his farewell appearance for the club at Dagenham & Redbridge on the final day of last season

YORK City manager Nigel Worthington is not ruling out a return to Bootham Crescent for Burton midfielder Adam Reed during the January transfer window.

Reed is unlikely to feature in tomorrow’s game between the two teams at Burton’s Pirelli Stadium having fallen out of favour since his summer switch to Staffordshire.

He is currently fifth in the pecking order for a central-midfield berth under Brewers boss Gary Rowett and has failed to make a matchday squad since the end of September.

Speculation is therefore rising that Reed’s days might be numbered at Burton and Worthington could make a move for the 22-year-old midfielder, who played a key role in preserving City’s Football League status last season when he scored two goals in six games during a loan spell from Sunderland.

Lewis Montrose and Elliott Whitehouse are currently Worthington’s first-choice pairing in midfield, but the latter’s loan stay from Sheffield United is due to expire in the New Year.

On the possibility of re-signing Reed, should he become available, the City chief said: “It’s something I would have to look at and we will see what the scenarios are come January when some of the loan situations are up.

“We will assess that and move forward from there in whatever direction we need to go in. We will be looking to add to the group in January to give us a bit more strength and he did very well here.

“We tried to get him in over the summer and I don’t know the background of what’s happened at Burton and why he’s out of favour there, but the manager selects the team and it’s down to Gary to do that. It’s no different here. If you are in the team, you do your most to stay in and, if you’re not, you have to work damned hard to get in.”City are now preparing to face two strong promotion contenders on consecutive weekends with the trip to Burton followed by a home match against table-topping Oxford seven days later.

But the Bootham Crescent boss believes his team have the ability to come out with positive results from both contests, saying: “We will be giving it a good go and looking for three points from both games.

“They are great matches and a challenge but, as a professional, you should love challenges like these. They are both up there in the table but I don’t see a lot of difference between them and us, other than the amount of points they have taken.

“We need to believe in ourselves and deliver the kind of performances we can do. We have got to show the kind of resilience and resolve that we have done to get two clean sheets in the last two games at the other end of the pitch and put our heads where the studs are flying to make sure that ball crosses the line because two good results would give everybody confidence and a lift going into the Christmas games.”

Striker Wes Fletcher is expected to line up for City, having suffered a pre-match hamstring injury during the club’s last match – the goalless home draw with Rochdale – while goalkeeper Michael Ingham faces a late fitness test on his hip flexor problem.

With Whitehouse also back from suspension and Wolves ’keeper Aaron McCarey likely to be needed either in the starting line-up or on the bench as cover, Worthington will again be deciding which of his six loan signings to leave out of tomorrow’s squad.

Left-back Ben Davies has been receiving treatment on an ankle injury this week but, should he be fit, then winger Ryan Brobbel could be the man to miss out with clubs only permitted to include five on-loan players for any match day.

“We will be picking the right combination of players to get us a result from an away game,” Worthington added.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:17pm Fri 13 Dec 13

johnno65 says...

Put in a good performance for us at the end of last year, sadly not getting the chance at Burton, maybe should have signed for us when first offered, 50/50 on this one, does he or doesn't he want to play for York should the chance come again.
Put in a good performance for us at the end of last year, sadly not getting the chance at Burton, maybe should have signed for us when first offered, 50/50 on this one, does he or doesn't he want to play for York should the chance come again. johnno65

3:22pm Fri 13 Dec 13

johnno65 says...

Tough game this one, any other time an away draw and good performance would be enough, but in the position we are in we really need to put some wins together, 3 points a must and then a point next week against oxford and then we can face the Xmas period with a little Ho Ho Ho
Tough game this one, any other time an away draw and good performance would be enough, but in the position we are in we really need to put some wins together, 3 points a must and then a point next week against oxford and then we can face the Xmas period with a little Ho Ho Ho johnno65

3:23pm Fri 13 Dec 13

johnno65 says...

johnno65 wrote:
Tough game this one, any other time an away draw and good performance would be enough, but in the position we are in we really need to put some wins together, 3 points a must and then a point next week against oxford and then we can face the Xmas period with a little Ho Ho Ho
Thats Hope Hope Hope
[quote][p][bold]johnno65[/bold] wrote: Tough game this one, any other time an away draw and good performance would be enough, but in the position we are in we really need to put some wins together, 3 points a must and then a point next week against oxford and then we can face the Xmas period with a little Ho Ho Ho[/p][/quote]Thats Hope Hope Hope johnno65

3:23pm Fri 13 Dec 13

johnno65 says...

johnno65 wrote:
Tough game this one, any other time an away draw and good performance would be enough, but in the position we are in we really need to put some wins together, 3 points a must and then a point next week against oxford and then we can face the Xmas period with a little Ho Ho Ho
Thats Hope Hope Hope
[quote][p][bold]johnno65[/bold] wrote: Tough game this one, any other time an away draw and good performance would be enough, but in the position we are in we really need to put some wins together, 3 points a must and then a point next week against oxford and then we can face the Xmas period with a little Ho Ho Ho[/p][/quote]Thats Hope Hope Hope johnno65

4:35pm Fri 13 Dec 13

OLD - HEAD says...

Adam Reed obviously chose Burton Albion because he believed that they were going to have the strongest team. Nobody can argue with that, but was it the right move if you can not get into that team?. York City have to push the boat out and sign some players in January, if they want to retain their League status. Should one of those players be Adam Reed, I am not sure!
Adam Reed obviously chose Burton Albion because he believed that they were going to have the strongest team. Nobody can argue with that, but was it the right move if you can not get into that team?. York City have to push the boat out and sign some players in January, if they want to retain their League status. Should one of those players be Adam Reed, I am not sure! OLD - HEAD

6:09pm Fri 13 Dec 13

cambersdad says...

OLD - HEAD wrote:
Adam Reed obviously chose Burton Albion because he believed that they were going to have the strongest team. Nobody can argue with that, but was it the right move if you can not get into that team?. York City have to push the boat out and sign some players in January, if they want to retain their League status. Should one of those players be Adam Reed, I am not sure!
wouldn't mind if reed came back, at least we know he can do a decent job, but like johnno 65 says does he want to come back ? don't think he should unless he's 100% committed to york city
[quote][p][bold]OLD - HEAD[/bold] wrote: Adam Reed obviously chose Burton Albion because he believed that they were going to have the strongest team. Nobody can argue with that, but was it the right move if you can not get into that team?. York City have to push the boat out and sign some players in January, if they want to retain their League status. Should one of those players be Adam Reed, I am not sure![/p][/quote]wouldn't mind if reed came back, at least we know he can do a decent job, but like johnno 65 says does he want to come back ? don't think he should unless he's 100% committed to york city cambersdad

7:37pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Tug job says...

Suppose it depends on the wages. Does he take a pay cut and increase his chances of getting regular first team football? Or does he bide his time and do his best hoping he gets his chance at Burton?
Suppose it depends on the wages. Does he take a pay cut and increase his chances of getting regular first team football? Or does he bide his time and do his best hoping he gets his chance at Burton? Tug job

2:12am Sat 14 Dec 13

joejamestom says...

Fine margins divide most teams in our league & we are close to being a decent side even if Whitehouse stays we need competition for the places as I feel one or two of the squad do not offer competition for positions & would be better off on loan elsewhere. When we can get the likes of Carson Brobbell in combination with our 3 strikers we look likely to score against most teams. For me I would protect Davies & give Fyfield a run at impressing. Should be a decent game. C'mon City!!!
Fine margins divide most teams in our league & we are close to being a decent side even if Whitehouse stays we need competition for the places as I feel one or two of the squad do not offer competition for positions & would be better off on loan elsewhere. When we can get the likes of Carson Brobbell in combination with our 3 strikers we look likely to score against most teams. For me I would protect Davies & give Fyfield a run at impressing. Should be a decent game. C'mon City!!! joejamestom

8:37am Sat 14 Dec 13

johnabostock says...

Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?
Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again? johnabostock

12:39pm Sat 14 Dec 13

cambersdad says...

johnabostock wrote:
Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?
spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha
[quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?[/p][/quote]spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha cambersdad

9:25am Sun 15 Dec 13

johnabostock says...

cambersdad wrote:
johnabostock wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?
spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha
cambersdad says...
spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha

Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!!
[quote][p][bold]cambersdad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?[/p][/quote]spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha[/p][/quote]cambersdad says... spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!! johnabostock

1:41pm Sun 15 Dec 13

cambersdad says...

johnabostock wrote:
cambersdad wrote:
johnabostock wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?
spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha
cambersdad says... spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!!
was just a p*ss take lighten up, if you knew anything about york city they blame most things on police advice, now go away and get back under your stone
[quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cambersdad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?[/p][/quote]spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha[/p][/quote]cambersdad says... spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!![/p][/quote]was just a p*ss take lighten up, if you knew anything about york city they blame most things on police advice, now go away and get back under your stone cambersdad

8:36pm Sun 15 Dec 13

johnabostock says...

cambersdad wrote:
johnabostock wrote:
cambersdad wrote:
johnabostock wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?
spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha
cambersdad says... spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!!
was just a p*ss take lighten up, if you knew anything about york city they blame most things on police advice, now go away and get back under your stone
You have a very strange sense of humour when a question like what I ask gets an answer like yours. Why should I `get back under your stone`?
[quote][p][bold]cambersdad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cambersdad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?[/p][/quote]spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha[/p][/quote]cambersdad says... spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!![/p][/quote]was just a p*ss take lighten up, if you knew anything about york city they blame most things on police advice, now go away and get back under your stone[/p][/quote]You have a very strange sense of humour when a question like what I ask gets an answer like yours. Why should I `get back under your stone`? johnabostock

8:38pm Sun 15 Dec 13

johnabostock says...

johnabostock wrote:
cambersdad wrote:
johnabostock wrote:
cambersdad wrote:
johnabostock wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?
spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha
cambersdad says... spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!!
was just a p*ss take lighten up, if you knew anything about york city they blame most things on police advice, now go away and get back under your stone
You have a very strange sense of humour when a question like what I ask gets an answer like yours. Why should I `get back under your stone`?
You have a very strange warped sense of humour!
[quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cambersdad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cambersdad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]johnabostock[/bold] wrote: Anyone who posts in The Press and on Red and Blue site know why R`n`B is not working again?[/p][/quote]spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha[/p][/quote]cambersdad says... spoke to the club about the R and B site being closed down they said it was on police advice ha ha ha Don`t know which planet you live on or which Club you contacted because it certainly wasn`t York!![/p][/quote]was just a p*ss take lighten up, if you knew anything about york city they blame most things on police advice, now go away and get back under your stone[/p][/quote]You have a very strange sense of humour when a question like what I ask gets an answer like yours. Why should I `get back under your stone`?[/p][/quote]You have a very strange warped sense of humour! johnabostock

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree