Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Ryan Sidebottom wants fresh Yorkshire deal as he sets himself 700 wicket target
Ryan Sidebottom has revealed his aim of reaching 700 first-class wickets – and the left-arm swing bowler is keen to sign a new contract with Yorkshire to help him achieve it.
The former England international, now 35 years old, passed the 600-mark in last week’s LV= County Championship match against Durham at Scarborough, which the White Rose county lost.
Just a week earlier, Sidebottom had topped his dad Arnie’s haul of 596 first-class wickets.
Huddersfield-born Sidebottom has one more year remaining on his current deal at Headingley, which will be the fourth season of his second spell with his home county.
He has taken 127 wickets in 39 first-class matches since returning from Nottinghamshire ahead of the 2011 campaign, including 37 wickets this term with a best of 4-35 against his former county at Trent Bridge last month.
“I’d like to go on and get 700 if I can. I’m still feeling fit and bowling alright,” said Sidebottom, who was asked how long he believes it will take him to achieve that feat now that he is on 602.
“I don’t know. I’d like a couple more seasons if I can. I’m bowling well, and I would like to sign a new contract if possible. I’ve maybe got two or three more years left in me.
“Again the backroom staff, Scot McAllister and Tom Summers, have looked after me really well.
“I think I still look fit and fresh. I don’t look 35 I don’t think. I know it’s not that old, but I am a veteran at 35 in this squad.
“I’m still enjoying my cricket, and this season’s really important for us.”
No talks have taken place between Sidebottom and the club, who still have to finalise deals or otherwise for players out of contract at the end of this season.
“No, not at the moment, but there’s still plenty of time,” he added. “You’re a long time retired, and I’m happy.”
Sidebottom and his Yorkshire team-mates returned to training at Weetwood in Leeds yesterday ahead of Wednesday’s Championship match against Sussex at Hove.
And the squad have been urged not to start doubting themselves after the defeat against Durham – only their second loss in the last 31 matches.
“Galey (captain Andrew Gale) has spoken fantastically well to all the boys. He just said, ‘let’s not start second guessing ourselves – we’ve had a bad game, and that can happen’,” said coach Jason Gillespie.
“We’ll dust ourselves off and hit training. There’s no point moping about it. We know what we need to do better. We’ll put a line through it.
We can’t change it. It’s disappointing, but we’ll bounce back, don’t worry about that.”
Comments are closed on this article.