SELBY Warriors ARLC have bagged a home draw in round three of the Pennine League’s Andrew Bennett Memorial Trophy.

The Warriors, who won the trophy in 2011, were 26-12 winners at home to Troydale Trojans in round two on Saturday.

And they will face Undercliffe Wildboars in the next stage of the competition on Saturday, February 9.

The Trojans win was one of Selby’s best performances of the season, coming immediately after the Christmas break and against a Leeds-based outfit that plays one rung above the Warriors in division two.

Wayne Fennell, who was in outstanding form, opened the scoring for Warriors after five minutes. He exchanged several passes with Matthew Irving and Dave Makin in a near length of the field break, and Jimmy Hanson converted.

Fennell then scored a solo try that was awarded by the referee despite protests from the ill-disciplined Trojans, who claimed the ball was not grounded.

Hanson’s conversion attempt clipped the uprights and stayed out.

Troydale tried to slow down the more skilful Warriors with several off the ball incidents, but those tactics were to no avail as 16-year-old Danny Simpson showed great class and maturity on his debut to put half-back partner Fennell through for his hat-trick try just before half-time.

Hanson’s conversion gave the home side a 16-point lead going into the break.

Selby continued to dominate after the restart and the Leeds side’s only answer was strong arm tactics, which left defensive gaps that second rower Scott Birch exploited, using his pace and power out wide to score an excellent try. Hanson goaled for a 22-0 lead.

Troydale’s indiscipline boiled over into numerous penalties but, as Selby made a host of changes with the game effectively over, two quick consolation tries gave the scoreline an unrealistic look at 22-12.

The Warriors regrouped and stepped up a gear to complete the scoring in the corner, the impressive Zennon Horrox leaving the defence standing.

Fennell was named man of the match for the Warriors.