A BLUNTING of Sheffield steel by City of York Hockey Club men’s I was neutralised by a Cheshire squeeze in a home North League premier division double.

A day after posting a 2-1 triumph over Sheffield University Bankers, the senior York side were toppled 4-2 by Timperley in a rearranged match.

In the opening duel, both teams started brightly with SUB having most of the possession.

But on the break York were menacing and they went ahead when Ben Bull picked up the ball on the half-way line and exchanged quick passes with Rich Jenkin before finding Mike Carter, who crossed for debutant Danny Ellwood to deflect into the net.

Early in the second half, a Jenkin shot hit a post, while stern defending led by Luke Staveley kept the Bankers at bay.

A great solo run by Bull was rounded off by a smart finish and the same player later struck an upright with a fierce shot.

The hosts were only breached in the final minute by a penalty.

York’s directness paid instant dividends against Timperley, who were rocked by a brace of goals in the opening 20 minutes from Rich Cockram – after good work by Jenkin and Paul Hemsley – and Alex Cockram.

Timperley pulled a goal back before half-time from a penalty corner and started the second half strongly, hitting a post almost straight from the re-start before drawing level shortly after.

Twice the Timperley goalkeeper made smart saves and the visitors filched the points with two goals in the last six minutes.

Despite missing four key players, City of York II racked up a 4-1 Yorkshire League division one win at Sheffield University Bankers IV.

City took a while to hit their stride and were caught cold by Bankers.

But the visitors gradually asserted control before shocking Bankers with a devastating ten-minute salvo.

First, Adam Ramli rifled the ball low into the net, then Dan Tompkins drove home a penalty corner.

Dave Navin’s strike was the best, his weaving run leaving defenders trailing before he slotted the ball under the ’keeper.

Just before half-time Pete Fitton scored at the back post.

In a more even second half, York’s defence, led by man-of-the-match Mike Hugill, underpinned a tenth win from 12 games.

Away success was posted by City of York III, 2-1 division two winners at Leeds University IV.

Early home breaks were calmly dealt with by Chris Scoffield and Alex Herriott as York absorbed the pressure.

Tim Lister teed up Chris Dutton, who pounced on the rebound to score after his initial reverse stick shot was blocked by a defender.

The lead was doubled ten minutes before half-time, Ben Foster on target from a short corner.

Leeds Uni dominated second-half possession, but could not convert into goals until their lone reply five minutes from time.

York held on to extend their lead at the top to seven points.

City of York IV lost 3-0 to visitors Leeds Adel Carnegie III in division three. York’s best spell was in the second half, but they squandered several openings.

In division five north, City of York V prevailed 1-0 at Mirfield, where Sam Blackburn poached the match-winning strike from a short corner in the second half.

A lack-lustre show from City of York VI ended in a 1-0 loss to Halifax III, also in division five north.

A fine save by ’keeper Dave Horn kept alive the hope of a point, but several penalty corners were spurned by York.

A stirring comeback yielded all division six north points for City of York VII over hosts Halifax fourths.

After going in front through Simon Hall, York conceded two goals before half-time.

But after the interval James Hogg equalised before Andy Dent bagged the winner ten minutes from time.

There was little joy for City of York VIII, who crashed 6-1 – their heaviest defeat of the season – to Tadcaster Magnets in division seven.

The lone consolation was a goal from Rich Walker after Magnets had surged 4-0 up.

There was an improved display after half-time.

City of York Badgers development team luckily kept their unbeaten record intact with a single-goal triumph over visiting Thirsk.

Thirsk had more of the chances, and guest ’keeper David Hyams made several good saves to keep York in the match before George Good scored the game’s only goal.