City of York Hockey Club men’s II turned in their most complete team performance of the season to beat hosts Doncaster thirds 3-1 and consolidate top spot in the Yorkshire League first division.

The visitors were bright from the off and took a merited lead when captain Alex Fletcher’s ball across the face of goal was put in by Dan Tompkins.

Against the run of play Doncaster won a penalty corner, which saw a drag flick despatched high into the net, but York recovered well, with Dave Navin going close before Dan Ellwood netted for a 2-1 half-time lead.

York controlled the game well in the second half – comfortable at the back and threatening up front.

With ten minutes left, Peter Perryman surged from midfield to crack a powerful ball into the D, which Ellwood diverted into the bottom corner.

There was an even healthier win for City of York IV who beat Rotherham II in Yorkshire division three.

Brendan Plant gave them an early lead with a reverse flick before he added another.

York then gifted the visitors a goal, but in the second half supremacy was reinstated when Zach Moore slid home a good cross from Greg Sykes, who later netted the fourth strike.

The division five north duel between Harrogate IV and City of York V ended 1-0 to the visitors after the tussle was abandoned after 56 minutes due to fog.

Dennis Hooton’s first-half goal separated the bitter rivals for whom the umpires stopped the match in the first half because of poor visibility only for both skippers to urge them to continue.

Again at half-time the umpires were reassured the teams would afford them understanding regarding the difficult conditions.

After 56 minutes the umpires came together and after a brief consultation between the two York’s umpire blew the whistle to end the game declaring 56 minutes played and a 1-0 win in favour of York.

After the game the Harrogate skipper refused to allow the match sheet to be signed by the York umpire while stating the hosts’ umpire had left without signing.

In the same division, City of York VI toppled Thirsk II 3-1.

Joe Ball and Jordan Waugh excelled while Will Broadbent proved the perfect marksman with a well-executed hat-trick.

Fog dominated the division six north clash between visiting City of York VII and Boston Spa.

The umpire requested aerial balls not be played.

York started strongly and gained an early lead from a speedy advance ended by a close-ranger finish.

Shortly before the end of the first half Boston Spa had a similar type of chance to level.

Early in the second half York had a fantastic opportunity to again take the lead from a short corner only for the shot to go inches wide.

Soon after the hosts capitalised for a winner.

City of York VIII crashed 4-3 to division seven anchor club Rotherham IV.

York went behind twice only to counter with goals from Adam Iyer and Danny Vaughan to level.

But another brace of Rotherham goals in the second half proved too much. A late short corner strike from Andy Potts was a mere consolation.

The City of York men’s development team exacted revenge for an early season defeat by Airedale, outclassing the visitors 5-0 at Canon Lee School.

Jack Harrington opened the scoring within ten minutes, with a lovely nutmeg of the goalkeeper before James Fitton hit the first of a hat-trick.

The other goal was bagged by Andrew Hyams as the Badgers claimed the league’s pole position.

Both City of York I and IX games were cancelled because of frozen pitches.