MIS-FIRING City of York Hockey Club men’s I failed to score for the first time this season as they crashed 3-0 at Durham University II in the North League premier division.

The defeat, York’s third from eight games, leaves the Minster city side in fifth place in the table heading into this weekend’s home clash with eighth-placed Timperley I.

After an even first ten minutes, City of York went behind to a penalty corner and, despite going close when Stuart Smyth hit the sidenetting, never really threatened the home side’s goal.

Durham controversially doubled their lead before half-time from another penalty corner. The shot appeared to be going wide but it struck defender Mike Gamble and deflected in.

After conferring, the umpires decided the goal should stand. At the start of the second half, City of York created a few chances, including a penalty corner awarded after Ben Bull was fouled in the circle.

However, the goalscoring form of recent weeks deserted them and it Durham made it 3-0 with eight minutes to go.

Goalkeeper Jon Chappell made a few telling saves which prevented any more damage being done to the visitors’ goal difference.

City of York II edged to a 4-3 derby win over Old Malton I to stay top of Yorkshire League division one.

York took the lead with a goal straight from the training ground, as Dan Tompkins scored from a penalty corner.

Malton equalised soon after with a good finish into the bottom corner before York had two goals ruled out.

A superb team move set Danny Ellwood free and he made no mistake in front of goal, but with minutes of the half remaining, Malton grabbed an equaliser from a deflected shot by Lyle King.

After the break, Ellwood’s cross was swept home by Luke Doran and then Alex Fletcher was quickest to react to a save from a penalty corner to convert a fourth.

Malton pulled one back as a loose ball broke to James Tindall to put the rebound home, but York hung on to secure a crucial three points.

A top-of-the-table clash in division two went the way of leaders City of York III, who beat second-placed hosts Halifax I 3-1.

York took the lead on 20 minutes when Halifax gave the ball away and an unmarked Rob Prentice scored at the back post.

Halifax forced a short corner and levelled a minute before the break, but the visitors dominated the second period.

York went ahead when a shot from Matt Tipper was saved but the ball rebounded onto a Halifax player who kicked the ball into the net.

City of York secured all three points with five minutes to go when Ben Foster received the ball at the top of the ‘D’ and smashed it past the helpless Halifax ’keeper.

Defender Alex Herriott was man of the match.

The scoreline was reversed in division three as City of York IV lost 3-1 at home to Halifax II.

Halifax led 2-0 at the break and a bizarre own goal made it 3-0 before Greg Sykes scored from a short corner.

In division five north, City of York V lost 2-1 at Bradford II, who have won all eight of their games.

Tony Brimble was City’s goalscorer.

City of York VI were 4-0 winners over Driffield II in the same division.

A goal-line scramble led to an opening goal for James Wallis, while a fine sliding tackle by ’keeper Dave Horn prevented Driffield equalising before half-time.

A drag flick from Will Broadbent was turned in by a defender to make it 2-0 and Broadbent got a third when he followed up a shot that the ’keeper tipped onto the bar.

Then a sharp one-two between Tim Ball and Richard Tanner-Smith on the edge of the ‘D’ was finished off by Tanner-Smith.

City of York VII were 2-1 winners over Huddersfield Dragons V as they went second in division six north.

’Keeper Neil Barnes kept York in the game in the first half and after the break Simon Hall put City in front.

Although Huddersfield equalised, City won it when Pat Birch scored from a penalty corner.

City of York IX’s game at home to Leeds VII in division seven was postponed, while City of York VIII lost 4-3 at Hull University III in the same division.

City of York X beat Wakefield 6-0 in a friendly.

James Fitton claimed a hat-trick with a goal that was helped in by a Wakefield defender off a short corner, followed by a rebound tap-in, both in the first half, and a direct strike off a short corner in the second half.

Andrew Hyams notched a brace and Sam Engleman rounded off the scoring.