Region hit by icy blast

Region hit by icy blast

The snow adds a new dimension to some of York’s ancient buildings

Visitors to the city photograph the wintry weather

A cyclist pushes on through the snow

A youngster enjoys the snow

First published in Snow in York and North Yorkshire York Press: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

MOTORISTS faced treacherous journeys in and around York today, with weathermen warning of widespread ice on any untreated roads.

About an inch of snow fell in York yesterday, with more in higher areas such as the Wolds, and forecasters said the bitterly cold weather was expected to continue for the rest of the week.

Temperatures in York are forecast to fall as low as -6 C tonight, and rise no higher than -2 tomorrow, although little additional snow is expected in the next few days.

York Liberal Democrat councillor Nigel Ayre claimed that 170 salt bins remained empty in the city yesterday because City of York Council did not consider the cold snap to be ‘severe’ weather.

Coun Ayre said he had asked for the empty salt bins to be refilled in his ward, Heworth Without, but he had been informed by officers that the current weather did not warrant this and the bins would remain empty overnight.

“With temperatures due to reach -6 and more snow forecast for later in the week, this is a risky move by the council,” he said.

“I am not sure how bad things have to get or how many residents need to fall over before they take action.”

But Coun David Levene, Labour’s cabinet member for environmental services, said: “In addition to all core salt bins being filled, should the weather become severe then action will be taken swiftly to get additional salt out to those areas most in need. Resident safety is important and we take the issue very seriously.”

A council spokeswoman said it planned to have gritters out on main roads in the city from 4am today, having been out on a full run yesterday afternoon, with tractors treating cycle paths and city centre footpaths.

She said the authority was well prepared for the big freeze, with about 2,700 tonnes of salt in stock out of a maximum capacity of 3,000 tonnes.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council said its 17-strong gritting fleet was sent out again yesterday evening to treat roads after the snow.

Several schools closed early in East and North Yorkshire yesterday because of the snow, including Driffield School, Warter primary, Langtoft primary and Barmby on the Marsh primary and several in the Dales, but no schools in York had to shut early.

Comments (41)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:07am Tue 15 Jan 13

CHISSY1 says...

"We have had 1 day of snow and the country is grinding to a halt.I know its an old chestnut,but years ago we had proper winters with deep snow and snowdrifts,but life carried on.".
"We have had 1 day of snow and the country is grinding to a halt.I know its an old chestnut,but years ago we had proper winters with deep snow and snowdrifts,but life carried on.". CHISSY1
  • Score: 0

11:52am Tue 15 Jan 13

MrsHoney says...

People didn't get sued as much in those days!
People didn't get sued as much in those days! MrsHoney
  • Score: 0

11:59am Tue 15 Jan 13

atorycouncil2014 says...

But Coun David Levene, Labour’s cabinet member for environmental services, said: “In addition to all core salt bins being filled, should the weather become severe then action will be taken swiftly to get additional salt out to those areas most in need

Seriously is this guy a comedy character!?!?!

Is he really saying a Met Office Severe warning is not severe enough to require salt bins to be filled.

Lets be honest they are never going to fill this bins and never had any intention to
But Coun David Levene, Labour’s cabinet member for environmental services, said: “In addition to all core salt bins being filled, should the weather become severe then action will be taken swiftly to get additional salt out to those areas most in need Seriously is this guy a comedy character!?!?! Is he really saying a Met Office Severe warning is not severe enough to require salt bins to be filled. Lets be honest they are never going to fill this bins and never had any intention to atorycouncil2014
  • Score: 0

12:03pm Tue 15 Jan 13

bob the builder says...

It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German!
It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German! bob the builder
  • Score: 0

12:07pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Acomblady says...

Wish our streets salt bin was filled. It was like an ice rink when I came home from work late last night and now we have fresh snow on top of the ice. Shame because we never see a gritting lorry
Wish our streets salt bin was filled. It was like an ice rink when I came home from work late last night and now we have fresh snow on top of the ice. Shame because we never see a gritting lorry Acomblady
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Oncebitten says...

bob the builder wrote:
It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German!
Thats fine with me...off you trot to Germany...we don't need people like you !
[quote][p][bold]bob the builder[/bold] wrote: It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German![/p][/quote]Thats fine with me...off you trot to Germany...we don't need people like you ! Oncebitten
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Mork says...

Wish we had a salt bin they took it away about 3 years ago and never brought it back
Wish we had a salt bin they took it away about 3 years ago and never brought it back Mork
  • Score: 0

12:22pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Mork says...

Wish we had a salt bin they took it away about 3 years ago and never brought it back
Wish we had a salt bin they took it away about 3 years ago and never brought it back Mork
  • Score: 0

12:27pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Oncebitten says...

Mork wrote:
Wish we had a salt bin they took it away about 3 years ago and never brought it back
Sadly they did remove salt bins, but that was because they were misused and people were turning up with vans bags etc and filling them up...it's always the selfish minority spoiling for the things for the rest of us!
[quote][p][bold]Mork[/bold] wrote: Wish we had a salt bin they took it away about 3 years ago and never brought it back[/p][/quote]Sadly they did remove salt bins, but that was because they were misused and people were turning up with vans bags etc and filling them up...it's always the selfish minority spoiling for the things for the rest of us! Oncebitten
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Tue 15 Jan 13

bolero says...

Heaven help us when winter arrives.
Heaven help us when winter arrives. bolero
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Tue 15 Jan 13

timcore says...

"Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol".
"Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol". timcore
  • Score: 0

12:33pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Garrowby Turnoff says...

Our magnificent road warning signs on Garrowby Lane which say "Ice" are keeping us safe in Bishop Wilton where we have 2 inches or more. The signs save gritters having to waste salt on the unimportant country roads and leave plenty of the stuff to spread on town centres. Maybe CoYC ought to invest in "Ice" signs and save money on gritting.
Our magnificent road warning signs on Garrowby Lane which say "Ice" are keeping us safe in Bishop Wilton where we have 2 inches or more. The signs save gritters having to waste salt on the unimportant country roads and leave plenty of the stuff to spread on town centres. Maybe CoYC ought to invest in "Ice" signs and save money on gritting. Garrowby Turnoff
  • Score: 0

12:34pm Tue 15 Jan 13

atorycouncil2014 says...

timcore wrote:
"Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol".
I think it will take a little over a week for all the elderly residents to recover from the broken hips etc sustained as a result of falling while trying to get to the shops.

To often people just assume because they don't have a problem everyone else will be just fine.
[quote][p][bold]timcore[/bold] wrote: "Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol".[/p][/quote]I think it will take a little over a week for all the elderly residents to recover from the broken hips etc sustained as a result of falling while trying to get to the shops. To often people just assume because they don't have a problem everyone else will be just fine. atorycouncil2014
  • Score: 0

12:43pm Tue 15 Jan 13

timcore says...

atorycouncil2014 wrote:
timcore wrote:
"Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol".
I think it will take a little over a week for all the elderly residents to recover from the broken hips etc sustained as a result of falling while trying to get to the shops.

To often people just assume because they don't have a problem everyone else will be just fine.
My point is that this country cannot deal with a tiny amount of snow and marginally sub-zero temperatures and we should take a long, hard look at ourselves.
[quote][p][bold]atorycouncil2014[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]timcore[/bold] wrote: "Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol".[/p][/quote]I think it will take a little over a week for all the elderly residents to recover from the broken hips etc sustained as a result of falling while trying to get to the shops. To often people just assume because they don't have a problem everyone else will be just fine.[/p][/quote]My point is that this country cannot deal with a tiny amount of snow and marginally sub-zero temperatures and we should take a long, hard look at ourselves. timcore
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Tue 15 Jan 13

atorycouncil2014 says...

timcore wrote:
atorycouncil2014 wrote:
timcore wrote:
"Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol".
I think it will take a little over a week for all the elderly residents to recover from the broken hips etc sustained as a result of falling while trying to get to the shops.

To often people just assume because they don't have a problem everyone else will be just fine.
My point is that this country cannot deal with a tiny amount of snow and marginally sub-zero temperatures and we should take a long, hard look at ourselves.
We probably could if the council actually filled the salt bins!

I agree on your point more widely though
[quote][p][bold]timcore[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]atorycouncil2014[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]timcore[/bold] wrote: "Big freeze", "Killer freeze", "Arctic conditions". In a week when it's melted we'll be all "remember when we overreacted massively to perfectly normal winter weather? lol".[/p][/quote]I think it will take a little over a week for all the elderly residents to recover from the broken hips etc sustained as a result of falling while trying to get to the shops. To often people just assume because they don't have a problem everyone else will be just fine.[/p][/quote]My point is that this country cannot deal with a tiny amount of snow and marginally sub-zero temperatures and we should take a long, hard look at ourselves.[/p][/quote]We probably could if the council actually filled the salt bins! I agree on your point more widely though atorycouncil2014
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Buzz Light-year says...

Have we actually ground to a halt?

No.

Still, don't let that stop people moaning and sniping.
Have we actually ground to a halt? No. Still, don't let that stop people moaning and sniping. Buzz Light-year
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Tue 15 Jan 13

ColdAsChristmas says...

It is true that some grit salt was removed and relocated but not the reason for bin removal.
In 2000, Dr David Vinner reported in the news that 'in a few years from now, children just won't know what snow is.'
13 years later........
If CofYC wait until conditions become severe before the remaining salt bins are refilled, they may just find they are snowed in and can't get out to do their duty.
These clowns are playing with the paying public's safety.
Also, No global warming since 1997!
It is true that some grit salt was removed and relocated but not the reason for bin removal. In 2000, Dr David Vinner reported in the news that 'in a few years from now, children just won't know what snow is.' 13 years later........ If CofYC wait until conditions become severe before the remaining salt bins are refilled, they may just find they are snowed in and can't get out to do their duty. These clowns are playing with the paying public's safety. Also, No global warming since 1997! ColdAsChristmas
  • Score: 0

1:22pm Tue 15 Jan 13

smiler45 says...

You ain't seen nothing yet, this is mild compared to what's to come, hope CYC are prepared as they could be in for a big shock over the coming days they think it isn't bad now well it could well be by the weekend so better get those salt bins filled up and shovels at the ready. Winter 2013 could break new records or at least match 2009/10
You ain't seen nothing yet, this is mild compared to what's to come, hope CYC are prepared as they could be in for a big shock over the coming days they think it isn't bad now well it could well be by the weekend so better get those salt bins filled up and shovels at the ready. Winter 2013 could break new records or at least match 2009/10 smiler45
  • Score: 0

1:55pm Tue 15 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

Big thank you to the idiot who pulled out of a side street in front of me in his /her car. Windscreen and side windows covered in snow and Ice this morning.
Just no common sense at all, and I was in my BIG van with my headlights on.
Big thank you to the idiot who pulled out of a side street in front of me in his /her car. Windscreen and side windows covered in snow and Ice this morning. Just no common sense at all, and I was in my BIG van with my headlights on. yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

1:57pm Tue 15 Jan 13

YorkPatrol says...

bob the builder wrote:
It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German!
Which country's laugh at us?? - Please can you provide the actual evidence of this
[quote][p][bold]bob the builder[/bold] wrote: It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German![/p][/quote]Which country's laugh at us?? - Please can you provide the actual evidence of this YorkPatrol
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Tue 15 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

YorkPatrol wrote:
bob the builder wrote:
It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German!
Which country's laugh at us?? - Please can you provide the actual evidence of this
It would probably be harder to find countries that don’t laugh at us .
[quote][p][bold]YorkPatrol[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bob the builder[/bold] wrote: It got to -0.2 last night and it's melting now. No wonder this country is the laughing stock of the world, rain and snow and England grinds to a halt! We would have been better off as German![/p][/quote]Which country's laugh at us?? - Please can you provide the actual evidence of this[/p][/quote]It would probably be harder to find countries that don’t laugh at us . yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

2:03pm Tue 15 Jan 13

YorkPatrol says...

Acomblady wrote:
Wish our streets salt bin was filled. It was like an ice rink when I came home from work late last night and now we have fresh snow on top of the ice. Shame because we never see a gritting lorry
Really? An ice rink? Wow, that's incredible!

and fresh snow too.. on top of ice... I think I'm going to faint
[quote][p][bold]Acomblady[/bold] wrote: Wish our streets salt bin was filled. It was like an ice rink when I came home from work late last night and now we have fresh snow on top of the ice. Shame because we never see a gritting lorry[/p][/quote]Really? An ice rink? Wow, that's incredible! and fresh snow too.. on top of ice... I think I'm going to faint YorkPatrol
  • Score: 0

2:12pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Oncebitten says...

To all these that feel we are a laughing stock...we have really open free boarders....PLEASE feel free to move on and out of this awful Country and leave it to us that appreciate it.

I haven't , as yet ,seen ANY evidence of us grinding to a halt.

It's obviously the climate or post Xmas blues that create such a miserable bunch......
To all these that feel we are a laughing stock...we have really open free boarders....PLEASE feel free to move on and out of this awful Country and leave it to us that appreciate it. I haven't , as yet ,seen ANY evidence of us grinding to a halt. It's obviously the climate or post Xmas blues that create such a miserable bunch...... Oncebitten
  • Score: 0

2:20pm Tue 15 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

Oncebitten wrote:
To all these that feel we are a laughing stock...we have really open free boarders....PLEASE feel free to move on and out of this awful Country and leave it to us that appreciate it.

I haven't , as yet ,seen ANY evidence of us grinding to a halt.

It's obviously the climate or post Xmas blues that create such a miserable bunch......
“Open free borders” , Yep that’s part of the problem , now to the weather !
[quote][p][bold]Oncebitten[/bold] wrote: To all these that feel we are a laughing stock...we have really open free boarders....PLEASE feel free to move on and out of this awful Country and leave it to us that appreciate it. I haven't , as yet ,seen ANY evidence of us grinding to a halt. It's obviously the climate or post Xmas blues that create such a miserable bunch......[/p][/quote]“Open free borders” , Yep that’s part of the problem , now to the weather ! yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

2:21pm Tue 15 Jan 13

meme says...

Why dont we sort our own pavements and roads in front of our homes and not rely on others to do it for us!
That's what happened in past
Why dont we sort our own pavements and roads in front of our homes [and those of elderly neighbours] and not rely on others to do it for us! That's what happened in past meme
  • Score: 0

2:21pm Tue 15 Jan 13

SpingloSponglo says...

ColdAsChristmas wrote:
It is true that some grit salt was removed and relocated but not the reason for bin removal.
In 2000, Dr David Vinner reported in the news that 'in a few years from now, children just won't know what snow is.'
13 years later........
If CofYC wait until conditions become severe before the remaining salt bins are refilled, they may just find they are snowed in and can't get out to do their duty.
These clowns are playing with the paying public's safety.
Also, No global warming since 1997!
Spectacularly uninformed opinion of what “global warming” is and its effects.

It is unfortunately named, I suppose. Think warmer summers and harsher winters. All around more extreme weather.

Just because we don't have a Saharan climate year-round 13 years after somebody made a flippant remark does not preclude the fact that CO2 emissions are changing our climate.

You berk.
[quote][p][bold]ColdAsChristmas[/bold] wrote: It is true that some grit salt was removed and relocated but not the reason for bin removal. In 2000, Dr David Vinner reported in the news that 'in a few years from now, children just won't know what snow is.' 13 years later........ If CofYC wait until conditions become severe before the remaining salt bins are refilled, they may just find they are snowed in and can't get out to do their duty. These clowns are playing with the paying public's safety. Also, No global warming since 1997![/p][/quote]Spectacularly uninformed opinion of what “global warming” is and its effects. It is unfortunately named, I suppose. Think warmer summers and harsher winters. All around more extreme weather. Just because we don't have a Saharan climate year-round 13 years after somebody made a flippant remark does not preclude the fact that CO2 emissions are changing our climate. You berk. SpingloSponglo
  • Score: 0

3:06pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Willy Eckerslike says...

Dear fellow posters, moaners, council stabbers, et al, let's be really honest here, it's not that bad is it ?. There is a bit of snow about and there was a frost last night, and there will be a frost tonight, well it is January after all. Let's keep things in perspective here, if we get a foot of snow and the city grinds to a halt, then and only then should we pick up the pen or the keyboard and bash away, my advice to you is "keep calm and carry on"
Dear fellow posters, moaners, council stabbers, et al, let's be really honest here, it's not that bad is it ?. There is a bit of snow about and there was a frost last night, and there will be a frost tonight, well it is January after all. Let's keep things in perspective here, if we get a foot of snow and the city grinds to a halt, then and only then should we pick up the pen or the keyboard and bash away, my advice to you is "keep calm and carry on" Willy Eckerslike
  • Score: 0

3:14pm Tue 15 Jan 13

NoNewsIsGoodNews says...

I blame David Cameron.
We never used to get weather like this under a Labour government.
I blame David Cameron. We never used to get weather like this under a Labour government. NoNewsIsGoodNews
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Ichabod76 says...

Just because we don't have a Saharan climate year-round 13 years after somebody made a flippant remark does not preclude the fact that CO2 emissions are changing our climate.

You berk.

If you did any research at all you will see that the rise in CO2 follows a temperature rise not the other way round
but don't let facts get in the way of you insulting people
Just because we don't have a Saharan climate year-round 13 years after somebody made a flippant remark does not preclude the fact that CO2 emissions are changing our climate. You berk. If you did any research at all you will see that the rise in CO2 follows a temperature rise not the other way round but don't let facts get in the way of you insulting people Ichabod76
  • Score: 0

3:26pm Tue 15 Jan 13

ReginaldBiscuit says...

NoNewsIsGoodNews wrote:
I blame David Cameron.
We never used to get weather like this under a Labour government.
I take issue with that. To blame such a useless inept puppet of the banks for the weather is taking it a bit far.
[quote][p][bold]NoNewsIsGoodNews[/bold] wrote: I blame David Cameron. We never used to get weather like this under a Labour government.[/p][/quote]I take issue with that. To blame such a useless inept puppet of the banks for the weather is taking it a bit far. ReginaldBiscuit
  • Score: 0

3:33pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Pedro says...

Most of the post war heatwave Summers were under a Labour government. Strange, but true.
Most of the post war heatwave Summers were under a Labour government. Strange, but true. Pedro
  • Score: 0

3:58pm Tue 15 Jan 13

YorkPatrol says...

meme wrote:
Why dont we sort our own pavements and roads in front of our homes and not rely on others to do it for us! That's what happened in past
We used to have public hangings in the past too, and child slavery
[quote][p][bold]meme[/bold] wrote: Why dont we sort our own pavements and roads in front of our homes [and those of elderly neighbours] and not rely on others to do it for us! That's what happened in past[/p][/quote]We used to have public hangings in the past too, and child slavery YorkPatrol
  • Score: 0

4:02pm Tue 15 Jan 13

pedalling paul says...

I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........!
I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........! pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Tue 15 Jan 13

Sawday2 says...

How many winters do people need to live through to understand that sometimes its snows. Get over it!
How many winters do people need to live through to understand that sometimes its snows. Get over it! Sawday2
  • Score: 0

4:12pm Tue 15 Jan 13

ReginaldBiscuit says...

The real problem with snow is the sheer volume of traffic on the roads. Let's face it, it is bad enough at certain times of the day when there isn't snow.

I read somewhere that UK infrastructure (that includes everything roads, hospitals, power, sanitation, NHS etc) can really only handle a capacity of 2/3rds the current population (and that's being generous - it's more like half). So when you're next stuck in snow and the car in front of you isn't moving, look across at the car on the opposite side of the road which isn't moving and smile like a creationist. They may smile back.
The real problem with snow is the sheer volume of traffic on the roads. Let's face it, it is bad enough at certain times of the day when there isn't snow. I read somewhere that UK infrastructure (that includes everything roads, hospitals, power, sanitation, NHS etc) can really only handle a capacity of 2/3rds the current population (and that's being generous - it's more like half). So when you're next stuck in snow and the car in front of you isn't moving, look across at the car on the opposite side of the road which isn't moving and smile like a creationist. They may smile back. ReginaldBiscuit
  • Score: 0

7:23pm Tue 15 Jan 13

yorkborn66 says...

pedalling paul wrote:
I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........!
You have won! , I cannot resist comment. You are a complete idiot.
You are a legend in your own lunchtime.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........![/p][/quote]You have won! , I cannot resist comment. You are a complete idiot. You are a legend in your own lunchtime. yorkborn66
  • Score: 0

7:54pm Tue 15 Jan 13

SpingloSponglo says...

Ichabod76 wrote:
Just because we don't have a Saharan climate year-round 13 years after somebody made a flippant remark does not preclude the fact that CO2 emissions are changing our climate.

You berk.

If you did any research at all you will see that the rise in CO2 follows a temperature rise not the other way round
but don't let facts get in the way of you insulting people
Reading a few spurious "climate change skeptic" conspiracy theory websites doesn't count as research, you moron.

If you've done your research, how about a few links? This is the Internet. It's pretty simple to copy and paste.

And proper scientific sources, please. Not some cryptozoology website.
[quote][p][bold]Ichabod76[/bold] wrote: Just because we don't have a Saharan climate year-round 13 years after somebody made a flippant remark does not preclude the fact that CO2 emissions are changing our climate. You berk. If you did any research at all you will see that the rise in CO2 follows a temperature rise not the other way round but don't let facts get in the way of you insulting people[/p][/quote]Reading a few spurious "climate change skeptic" conspiracy theory websites doesn't count as research, you moron. If you've done your research, how about a few links? This is the Internet. It's pretty simple to copy and paste. And proper scientific sources, please. Not some cryptozoology website. SpingloSponglo
  • Score: 0

7:55pm Tue 15 Jan 13

SpingloSponglo says...

Or the Daily Mail, or wherever you inform your soft opinions beyond here.
Or the Daily Mail, or wherever you inform your soft opinions beyond here. SpingloSponglo
  • Score: 0

4:26am Wed 16 Jan 13

Magicman! says...

pedalling paul wrote:
I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........!
Aren't you a councillor? If so this means you got to council property and they hadn't taken reasonable steps to ensure safety of their employees - which is hilarious as we entrust them to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the public!

I didn't see a single gritter out at all today before 7pm (Tuesday). The sun set just after 4 and the temperature soon dropped so all the partially melted snow turned to black ice.
Yesterday I used grit I had saved over from last year when our salt bin was still in use because the council actually realised people valued such resources in order to clear and grit the footpath from the main road right the way down to a through street... all it took was 40 minutes, and yet nobody else on the street that has over 100 houses has done anything to clear even the footpath outside their own house. We wouldn't need snow wardens if everybody took some responsibility and actually did something for other people for a change.
[quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........![/p][/quote]Aren't you a councillor? If so this means you got to council property and they hadn't taken reasonable steps to ensure safety of their employees - which is hilarious as we entrust them to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the public! I didn't see a single gritter out at all today before 7pm (Tuesday). The sun set just after 4 and the temperature soon dropped so all the partially melted snow turned to black ice. Yesterday I used grit I had saved over from last year when our salt bin was still in use because the council actually realised people valued such resources in order to clear and grit the footpath from the main road right the way down to a through street... all it took was 40 minutes, and yet nobody else on the street that has over 100 houses has done anything to clear even the footpath outside their own house. We wouldn't need snow wardens if everybody took some responsibility and actually did something for other people for a change. Magicman!
  • Score: 0

8:28am Wed 16 Jan 13

pedalling paul says...

Magicman! wrote:
pedalling paul wrote:
I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........!
Aren't you a councillor? If so this means you got to council property and they hadn't taken reasonable steps to ensure safety of their employees - which is hilarious as we entrust them to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the public!

I didn't see a single gritter out at all today before 7pm (Tuesday). The sun set just after 4 and the temperature soon dropped so all the partially melted snow turned to black ice.
Yesterday I used grit I had saved over from last year when our salt bin was still in use because the council actually realised people valued such resources in order to clear and grit the footpath from the main road right the way down to a through street... all it took was 40 minutes, and yet nobody else on the street that has over 100 houses has done anything to clear even the footpath outside their own house. We wouldn't need snow wardens if everybody took some responsibility and actually did something for other people for a change.
Me...a Councillor.......dre
am on!
[quote][p][bold]Magicman![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pedalling paul [/bold] wrote: I put on an extra layer this morning, then pedalled into York this morning on well gritted roads - sailed past queuing car drivers in the inbound peak. Got to my workplace destination and nearly came off because the area round its cycle racks was like glass........![/p][/quote]Aren't you a councillor? If so this means you got to council property and they hadn't taken reasonable steps to ensure safety of their employees - which is hilarious as we entrust them to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the public! I didn't see a single gritter out at all today before 7pm (Tuesday). The sun set just after 4 and the temperature soon dropped so all the partially melted snow turned to black ice. Yesterday I used grit I had saved over from last year when our salt bin was still in use because the council actually realised people valued such resources in order to clear and grit the footpath from the main road right the way down to a through street... all it took was 40 minutes, and yet nobody else on the street that has over 100 houses has done anything to clear even the footpath outside their own house. We wouldn't need snow wardens if everybody took some responsibility and actually did something for other people for a change.[/p][/quote]Me...a Councillor.......dre am on! pedalling paul
  • Score: 0

9:50am Wed 16 Jan 13

Kevin Turvey says...

‘pedalling paul says... 8:28am Wed 16 Jan 13
Me...a Councillor.......dre
am on!’


If he was a councillor or other so called VIP he would be in the photo at the opening of the secure cycle parking at the station!

http://www.yorkpress
.co.uk/news/10164245
.New_secure_cycle_st
orage_unveiled_at_Yo
rk_railway_station/

In the photo of the story the owner of cycle heaven is not discussing the opening of the new facilities with the others, but merely commenting on when peddling paul will either turn up (hence they are rushing to avoid him) or write a predictable comment on this website about the new facilities and at £2 a day they are not value for money… or similar deluded waffle.
‘pedalling paul says... 8:28am Wed 16 Jan 13 Me...a Councillor.......dre am on!’ If he was a councillor or other so called VIP he would be in the photo at the opening of the secure cycle parking at the station! http://www.yorkpress .co.uk/news/10164245 .New_secure_cycle_st orage_unveiled_at_Yo rk_railway_station/ In the photo of the story the owner of cycle heaven is not discussing the opening of the new facilities with the others, but merely commenting on when peddling paul will either turn up (hence they are rushing to avoid him) or write a predictable comment on this website about the new facilities and at £2 a day they are not value for money… or similar deluded waffle. Kevin Turvey
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree