Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Roundabout delay at accident blackspot
8:23am Monday 19th November 2012 in Selby & Tadcaster
PLANS to create a new roundabout at an accident blackspot between Selby and York have been put back until the New Year, writes Dan Bean.
North Yorkshire County Council pledged to improve the junction of the A19 and the A63 north of Selby by building a three-lane roundabout in place of the current staggered junctions earlier this year, with plans due to start this month.
With the new layout, two lanes will filter from the A63 and three from the A19 in both directions, in an effort to slow down motorists and improve road safety, following a number of serious accidents in the area. The original proposal was first mooted by the council in 2007.
Richard Marr, area manager for highways in Selby, said: “There were a few issues finalising the decision and some land owner issues. I’m told it’s going out to tender as we speak. The current plan I heard last week was expected for construction to start shortly after Christmas, but that depends on who wins it, whether they can mobilise in time, and get men on from other jobs. There’s no fixed start date yet.”
Collisions in the area included one involving an elderly couple who had to be cut free from their vehicle in July. In May, a teenage moped rider had to be taken to hospital after an accident with a car at the junction.
A study by NYCC showed more than 17,200 vehicles used the A19 on an average weekday, with up to 750 vehicles an hour in the morning rush hour and 901 heading towards Selby at about 4pm. The study showed the A63 was also well used, with more than 7,400 vehicles travelling on the road in the same 24-hour period, and peaks of 444 vehicles per hour in the 8am rush.
Comments are closed on this article.