Ebola fears after Donegal death

There are fears that a person who died in Donegal had the Ebola virus

There are fears that a person who died in Donegal had the Ebola virus

First published in National News © by

Medics suspect a man found dead in Ireland was infected with the deadly Ebola virus while working in Africa, the country's health authority has said.

It is believed the suspected victim, who locals named as Dessie Quinn, from the Doorin area, outside Mountcharles, Co Donegal, was a father of one aged 43.

He is thought to have been living with his partner in Dublin but was visiting his large family in Co Donegal when he was taken ill.

Neighbours said the man may have been getting treatment for suspected malaria after returing from Sierra Leone when he died. However, it is not thought he was an inpatient at any medical facility.

One source believed he was working for a telecommunications company in the west African country and had returned to Ireland within the last few weeks.

The Health Service Executive (HSE) would only say the remains of a person who recently returned from an area of Africa hit by the outbreak were found in Co Donegal this morning.

"Until a diagnosis is confirmed, and as a precautionary measure, the individual's remains will stay in the mortuary pending the laboratory results which are expected late tomorrow," said a HSE spokesman.

One local man who knew the suspected victim said he was talking to him last week at a festival.

"I met him at the festival in Mountcharles last Friday," he said.

"He was just home and as far as I know he was in Donegal since he came back from Sierra Leone. He could have been back two weeks or three weeks, I'm not sure."

The man added: "Everyone knew him. He was great company to be along with, he was a very nice fella."

Health chiefs have stressed that the risk of transmission of any disease is considered to be "extremely low" but precautionary measures have been put in place.

Dr Darina O'Flanagan, head of the HSE Health Protection Surveillance Centre, said a person would have to be in very close personal contact with an infected individual or their body fluids for there to be any risk.

"We await the outcome of the laboratory tests before we will know whether or not this individual had contracted Ebola virus disease," she said.

"The appropriate public health guidelines are being followed at every stage in this process as a precaution."

The HSE has refused to give any more details about the case.

Donegal Mayor John Campbell said the county was shocked but urged people not to panic.

"It is unconfirmed that it is Ebola at this stage and even if it was confirmed the chances of it being passed on to anyone else are very small so people shouldn't panic," he said.

"It's a big shock in the area. I know the family well and our thoughts are with them."

The suspected victim's body has been transferred to Letterkenny General Hospital.

Donegal TD (MP) Thomas Pringle urged people in the county not to worry until health chiefs carry out their tests.

"This is a sudden tragic death and because this man worked in Africa the HSE have to take precautions," he said.

"I think we should wait until the cause of death is confirmed.

"Given the media attention about Ebola over the last while it is important that people do not panic or worry about it until we hear from the HSE."

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree