FUNDING worth £26,800 has been has been awarded to a project to restore a 13th century church.
St Wilfrid’s Parish Church in South Kilvington, near Thirsk, has been awarded the grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to carry out essential conservation work.
The Grade II-listed church was built in approximately 1270, during the reign of Henry III. There are indications an older place of worship may have stood on the site, as the remains of a Saxon cross remains in the churchyard.
But now the 13th century structure is in need of urgent restoration work. The walls need to be stabilised to prevent any further movement, rendering needs removing and other repairs are also needed to the walls.
The funds will also enable the church to carry out educational work with South Kilvington CE School. The intention is to carry out site visits and talks by conservationists.
There are plans to make the building’s history more widely available on a website.