FOOD lovers eager to soak up the remaining days of summer are being warned to check the food they cook on barbecues.
East Riding of Yorkshire Council claims cases of food poisoning almost double during the summer with research showing the main reasons are undercooked meat and contamination.
Cllr Jackie Cracknell, portfolio holder for community involvement and performance, said: “This is the time of the year we enjoy putting some food on to the barbecue. But the person taking command is often not someone who is normally in charge of the kitchen.
“Meat that looks charred and burnt isn’t necessarily cooked through and if it is not the consequences for your family and friends may be a nasty food bug which sometimes can be as serious as salmonella and E.coli.”
Residents using barbecues can avoid cross-contamination by storing raw meat separately, using different utensils, plates and chopping boards for raw and cooked food.