Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Blaze at New Earswick chip shop
9:15am Wednesday 17th October 2012 in News
A fire closed a New Earswick fish and chip shop for the evening yesterday when oil in a deep fat fryer overheated and burst into flames.
It took firefighters from York and Huntington an hour to put the fire out and to ensure that the building was safe.
The blaze began shortly before 8pm and left the shop area of the building, in Hawthorne Terrace, with 30 per cent heat damage and 40 per cent smoke damage.
The fire was so smoky the crews used six breathing apparatus sets as they directed three hoses on to the flames. They also used an aerial ladder.
The cause of the blaze is believed to have been accidental.