Politician in plea for nitro-cocktails ban

First published in News

AN MP has called for the sale of “nitro-cocktails” to be banned following the incident which left an 18-year-old girl needing surgery to remover her stomach.

Morecambe and Lunesdale MP David Morris said: “It needs to be done so we do not see anyone else’s son or daughter injured or even killed.”

NHS Cumbria’s director of public health, Prof John Ashton, has also urged bar owners and managers not to use liquid nitrogen in drinks that anyone is going to consume.

Their comments came after Gaby Scanlon suffered a perforated stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen at an Oscars wine bar in Lancaster, a sister bar of Oscars and the Biltmore bars in York city centre.

The Biltmore has suspended the sale of such drinks following the incident.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree