Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
City of York Council ‘has no information’ about botched road repairs in Tranby Avenue, Osbaldwick
9:37am Thursday 4th October 2012 in News
YORK council chiefs say they no longer have any correspondence about a botched roadworks project that will cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of pounds to put right.
Local councillor Mark Warters, who says he submitted Freedom of Information requests after asking in vain for a report into the matter, yesterday claimed the lack of information was “incredible” and pledged not to let things rest.
Coun Warters requested all correspondence relating to the project, including internal officers’ communication and correspondence with contractors, but was met with the response: “No information held.”
He says he got the same reply with a request for an officers’ report on the trial and a report signing off the works, and also with a request for correspondence “specifically to ascertain who authorised the 2006 scheme”.
He said yesterday: “I want this information so I can help ensure such a botched scheme doesn’t happen again in York, as I believe the total cost to taxpayers of putting this right could come to three quarters of a million pounds.”
Asked why the authority held no information, Roger Ranson, assistant director of highways, said: “We can confirm that a Freedom of Information response was sent to Coun Warters regarding Tranby Avenue and that this was in accordance with FOI policies and procedures.”
Coun Warters said residents were also very unhappy about how long it was taking to repair the road, following the failed project, which involved cracking the underlying concrete bays and recoating with tarmac.
One resident, Chris Caulfield, said: “The sinking road and potholes are getting worse and worse.
“After rain, water sits in the dips and potholes, and elderly residents are being soaked by traffic going past. This is an absolute disgrace.”
Mr Ranson said £100,000 had been allocated in February’s budget to resurface Tranby Avenue, and in addition to this, a further £75,000 had been bought forward from the 2013/14 budget for works to be carried out this year.
A further £100,000 had also been provisionally earmarked in next year’s budget.
“City of York Council will carry out resurfacing works in the new year after the gas board have completed their utilities works on Tranby Avenue at end of this year,” he said.
Comments are closed on this article.