Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Burger van explosion at North Yorkshire horse show injures nine
NINE people were injured when a burger van exploded during a busy pony show in North Yorkshire.
Firefighters were called to the Great Yorkshire Showground at about 11.30am yesterday, when the gas cylinder exploded, and caused a burger van to catch fire while staff were inside and customers were queuing to buy food.
Crews arrived to find the van well alight, but extinguished the flames, before cooling two more 19kg propane cylinders which were close to the fire.
A spokeswoman for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service said four people were treated at the scene, and another five people were taken to Harrogate District Hospital with minor injuries. Three were later discharged and two kept in as a precaution.
An eyewitness said the people working in the fast-food outlet had been injured in the blaze, along with some people waiting in the queue. They said: “People were saying something had exploded and a fireball came out of it.
“I heard a bang and when I looked across we saw the van was on fire. Apparently, a few people have been quite badly burned and were with paramedics. I think two people working in there were quite badly burned.”
The ambulance service spokeswoman said no details were available as to the ages or genders of those injured, but said their wounds were only believed to be minor.
The fire service cordoned off the area and remained at the scene for several hours to keep the remaining canisters cool.