CYCLISTS wanting to use a Sustrans track through a York housing development site have been hit by a double blow.
The cycle track, originally due to be closed until the beginning of June to allow for work on the 540-home Derwenthorpe scheme at Osbaldwick , is now set to remain fenced off until September 9 – without authorisation from City of York Council . An alternative route along Metcalf Lane has also been blocked by contractors.
Alison Newbould, the council’s rights of way officer, told Osbaldwick councillor Mark Warters no extension of the cycle track closure beyond August 24 had been authorised.
She said she had now received confirmation it had been used to transport scaffolding to the site.
She said a letter would be sent to Derwenthorpe head of construction Clare Harrigan, of the Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust, saying the use of the lane by contractors had not been authorised.
Coun Warters said cyclists had been deprived of the chance to use the cycle track through the summer.
The final straw was when the alternative route was blocked.
A trust spokesman said the Sustrans route was an integral part of the development which, along with a car club scheme and public transport route, supported green travel opportunities.
He said: “The trust is aware that the work Northern Power Grid is carrying out in connection with the development has been delayed. We recognise this has caused disruption locally and we continue to exert what pressure we can for work to be progressed and for the Sustrans route to be reopened as soon as possible.”