Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Hunt goes on for Clifton arsonists
ARSONISTS responsible for firebombing two elderly grandparents out of the York home they had lived in for more than 50 years have still not been brought to justice almost five months later.
North Yorkshire Police launched a major manhunt following the attack at a property in Lucas Avenue, Clifton , while the couple, who were aged 78 and 81 at the time of the attack, were indoors.
Despite detectives increasing patrols, appealing for witnesses and scouring CCTV footage, efforts to find those responsible for the incident on March 16, which shocked and frightened the local community, have so far failed, police have said.
A spokesman said “regrettably” no offenders had yet been apprehended.
Now, 20 weeks later, North Yorkshire Police have re-launched their appeal for help.
The couple were going about their normal evening routine in their home when a blazing object smelling strongly of petrol was hurled through the downstairs front window. Flames engulfed the room as the couple managed to escape.
Two teams of firefighters battled the blaze for an hour but their house was so badly damaged it was left uninhabitable and many of the couple’s treasured belongings and furniture were destroyed.
Neighbours say they can think of no reason why the couple should have been targeted – saying the grandfather, a retired lorry driver, and the grandmother, a regular attender at St Luke’s Church, Clifton, would “do anything for anybody”. Police have not ruled out mistaken identity.
Detectives want to hear of any sightings of two men in dark clothing or anyone carrying a petrol can or similar container at about 9pm.
A force spokesman said no arrests had been made, but efforts to trace the offenders were continuing.
“The matter is still very much under investigation,” he said.
Anyone with information should phone North Yorkshire Police 101 or phone Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.