Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Boy saves dad in kitchen accident
A TEN-YEAR-OLD Cub Scout saved his father’s life after he collapsed following an accident in his kitchen.
Mark Warrior, 45, slipped and cut into a vein in his hand with a bread knife and very quickly lost a lot of blood and passed out, hitting his head on the kitchen floor of his home in Ashdale Court, Harrogate.
His son, Alex, was alerted by the noise and went in to the kitchen where he found his father on the floor. But rather than panic, he used the first aid training he had been given at Bardsey Cub and Scout group.
Mr Warrior said: “He heard the noise and walked into the kitchen and saw blood everywhere. It would probably startle most children.
“He picked up my Blackberry, called 999 and gave a full and comprehensive account of what happened. They came out in four minutes and dealt with it.
“The ambulance man said it was his quick thinking that saved the day and avoided a major incident.
“When asked how did he know what to do he said it was all down to his Cub Scout leader, who taught him first aid.”
The father-of-three said his hand is sore and he has had five stitches following the accident last Saturday, but said he felt very lucky the situation was not much worse thanks to his son.
He said about Alex, a pupil at Harewood Primary School: “I am very proud. His calmness in the situation was great.”
Comments are closed on this article.