Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
2 more arrests in Wharton attack probe
2:05pm Thursday 12th July 2012 in News
TWO more people have been arrested over the attack that left boxing champion Henry Wharton seriously injured in hospital.
Police say a 30-year-old man was arrested in the Doncaster area at around 8.30pm yesterday and a 28-year-old man in York this afternoon.
Both men are from the Doncaster area amd remain in police custody.
The arrests take the total so far to six.
Mr Wharton, 44, remains in York Hospital with injuries to his head, back and leg. He is in a stable condition.
Mr Wharton was attacked after reportedly intervening in a pre-arranged fight between members of the travelling community, in Murton Lane on Saturday afternoon.
The Press has been told a machete was used in the attack, and police have said Mr Wharton is lucky to be alive.
Anyone who can help police is asked to phone York CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.