Ex Luton Town boss cleared of assault at York City but guilty of public order offence (From York Press)
Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
Gary Brabin cleared of two assault charges but guilty of public order offence
12:40pm Friday 25th May 2012 in News
A FOOTBALL manager has today been cleared of attacking York City stewards during a match at Bootham Crescent.
Ex Luton Town boss Gary Brabin stood trial at Selby Magistrates Court this week after denying two counts of assault against the stewards on April 19 last year, and one public order offence.
He has today been acquitted of the assault charges but was found guilty of using threatening words and behaviour at the match against York City.
He had been accused of punching and headbutting York steward Simon Oliver and punching a second steward, Paul Lovatt.
As reported in The Press, Brabin, 41, of Liverpool, told the court yesterday he lost his cool during the match.
He said: “My emotions were high at the time and I didn’t feel my players on the pitch were being given the proper protection from the referee.”
He said he was shouting at the referee when York’s assistant manager Darren Gee of York City shouted abuse at him. He said he was then shocked that he was the only one sent off. He claims he was “man-handled” down the tunnel, but denies punching or headbutting anyone.
Brabin was fined £400 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of £900 and a victim surcharge of £15 by district judge Jonathan Bennett.
The judge ruled that evidence, including CCTV footage, did not prove the allegations of assault. He said it was clear however that the defendant used threatening words and behaviour during the incident.