4:14pm Monday 2nd April 2012
By Rebecca Cain
A MAN who defied the odds and survived a cardiac arrest which he suffered at home has praised an ambulance crew who saved his life.
Kieran Reddington, 57, suffered a cardiac arrest at his home in Aylesbury in January.
The South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) was called to the scene, while his daughter, Stephanie was instructed to give her dad CPR until they arrived.
Paramedic Ron Ditchburn, technician Sam Potter and emergency care assistant Liane Sheppard started to work on Kieran when they arrived, continuing CPR.
They shocked Kieran twice before they rushed to Stoke Mandeville Hospital where he was stabilised and then conveyed to John Radcliffe Hospital.
He had three stents inserted to widen a coronary artery.
Statistically Kieran had only a seven per cent chance of surviving a cardiac arrest in his home. He has made a good recovery and will start work full time again on April 10.
He met with the ambulance crew on March 24 and thanked them for saving his life and gave a cheque to the ambulance service's charitable fund towards funding the trust's community first responder scheme.
Kieran said: "I remember nothing about being shocked twice or the fight to save my life by my daughter and the ambulance crew.
"I am grateful to them and to the staff at Stoke Mandeville and John Radcliffe hospital who have nursed me back to health."
SCAS has around 1,500 community first responders who are trained by the local ambulance service in basic life-saving skills. If you are interested in volunteering as a CFR for SCAS call 08005870207 or email email@example.com
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group