Get in touch: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting YORK to 80360 or send an email»
University campus robot catches fire
9:20am Wednesday 25th January 2012 in News
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a University of York building after a robot caught fire.
Crews were called to the Goodricke College TV Film and Theatre building at the university’s Heslington East development at about 6pm on Monday, after a smoke alarm was activated.
A Fire Service spokeswoman said the incident was tracked down to a ‘robot wars’ arena on the ground floor, where a robot had been plugged in to charge and started to combust.
The robot’s battery suffered some damage, and crews used breathing apparatus and thermal imaging equipment at the scene, but the fire was out on arrival.